Sgt.Squarehead's 'Iraqi' Bf.110

On 15/10/2016 at 07:25, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not exactly 'decal-sharp' but I think it passes muster at a casual glance.  :rolleyes:

I doubt that the originals were decal-sharp either judging from my own experience with painting markings on real aircraft.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A bit of a late-comer, Sarge. Polish the Parade Ground with a toothbrush? OK.

Looking great so far!

On 05/10/2016 at 13:58, TonyTiger66 said:

1970's Commando books

A very, very, very guilty pleasure - and secret - when I was between 14 and 17. I kept 'em under my bed - what that really says about me I shudder to think :(. No doubt they weren't nearly as secret as I thought. I got the air-war-related ones, second-hand from a chap in Adelaide Arcade in Adelaide (weirdly enough). You could trade them back in on 'new' books. My favourites were where the aircraft were properly drawn.

I have a brain like a sieve at the moment: I have now pinned this thread in a prominent spot so that I don't forget it. And, of course, I have run out of thats blasted 'likes' again, so my appreciation, showing of, will have to wait until the rice and mats have been busy again. Perhaps we should set up a 'poll' on increasing the number of 'likes' that one can be burndened with - I am now subscribed to so many threads that the deserving are running a bit shorter than they otherwise would be.

Cheers,

Alex :sheep: <-- not a 'like' - or  BF 110 E

• Like 1

On 15/10/2016 at 15:22, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I've blocked in the upper teeth on either side:

PaintTheShark%20-%2003_zpsplmxvwr2.jpg

PaintTheShark%20-%2002_zpspnl4cnio.jpg

Quite a lot of tidying up to be done yet.  :rolleyes:

Nice! It's worth bumping to the next page :).

Looking good.

And...I've run out o' likes yet again. You can blame young, plump Procopius (don't tell him I said that - or that it might compare him with a turkey, given the recent party season in the US) for the depletion (like U238) and his recent Fencing act Fencer thread.

Cheers,

Dr Sheep :sheep:

• Like 1

I think your hand painted teeth look more real than the decals. Like them a lot.  I bet the originals were painted on quite tentatively with a "what do you think the CO will say?" Keep going and don't over refine them...

• Like 2

A little late Sarge, but loving your brushwork on the shark-nose. I'd be of the opinion that your hand-painting will give a more attractive lived-in-ness to the aircraft here than a graphically-sharp decal ever could.

Reminds me I have to see the dental hygienist for a clean on Tuesday as well.

Toothsome work sir.

Tony

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm kind of stalled at the stencil decals TBH.....There are billions of the things!  :o

The sooner you start, the sooner you'll be finished....:P...

I'd like to see this finished mate, so in the words of my Dad........get a shift on, there's a good lad...:D

Sean

• Like 2

With such marvellous encouragement I could hardly say no, so I got right down to it.....And promtly lost one of the first two (octane rating?) decals that I attempted to apply!  :doh:

Fortunately I had a Revell 1/72 Bf.110 in the stash and while the plastic is old Monogram the decals are modern Revell and thus both comprehensive and actually somewhat better than the Airfix offerings (which are rather out of register).....The stencilling process continues, here's where I'm currently at:

Untitled-1_zpsiifddq0v.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd strongly recommend getting an Eduard 'Weekend Kit' rather than the Airfix version.  ;)

Thanks, I will get the Airfix one then :lol: I like a challenge, like this friggin Revell 1/48 Mosquito I am busy with. What a nightmare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Fiddly blummin' things aren't they... I hate stencils.

I reckon I've already stuck about a tank battalion's worth on the dratted thing.  :rolleyes:

Half a dozen or so more tiny stickers for the underside and I'm done with them. :yahoo:

Then I can have some fun with the weathering.....Must remember it's not a tank!  Must remember it's not a tank!  Must remember.....  :P

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Its really looking different now those Iraqi markings are going on the model.

Even though I knew the title of the thread, I did a complete double-take when I saw the Iraqi markings. "Where are the Balkenkreuzen? What are those warning symb-- oh..." where what flashed through what it pleases me to call my 'mind' for a second or so. You can see where the 'ground crew' painted the crosses out, though.

Looking excellent again, Sarge :). I got the Airfix Spitfire/Bf 110 Dogfight Double on the strength of Ced's recent 110 build - which may not have been so clever given your comments about the Eduard Weekend Edition above. Oops. Those Airfix panel trenches are something to behold: any aircraft scaled up to 1:1 would have panels floating about unattached, between the framework. Does Hornby own Corgi and/or Dinky by any chance?

Cheers,
Alex.

• Like 5

That all looks just right Andy. I found a few pictures when Ced was building his and the teeth are very 'field' hand painted, not even as neat as yours!

It's good to see a more unusual livery like this on a 110. 

Not many transfers now :thumbsup2: 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 2