Sgt.Squarehead's 'Iraqi' Bf.110

I'm a bit mystified by this gap to the left of the port engine of my Bf.110:

MysteryBit_zpsmmu5e6en.jpg

I believe the trop kit has an air filter that fits here, so I guess it's an air intake. Did Airfix forget to include a part, how should it actually look? :hmmm:

I think that's the carburetor intake on that side,

it is on a different position on the other engine, it should be hollowed out but I am nor certain if that should be squared or round

• Like 1

Cheers, should it just be a hole or is there a grille in there?

It looks to me like the actual intake sits lower in the wing and interferes less with the profile of the leading edge:

BF-110s.jpg

EDIT: Sorted.....Looking at this picture:

24+Stalino+airfield+Messerschmitt+Bf+110

I'm now pretty sure Airfix forgot to include the part! :doh:

• Like 4

I had forgotten about that bit. :rolleyes:

I've already cut it some ailerons and have scrounged some mass-balances and a towel rail antenna.....While this kit fits together beautifully it's not entirely complete or accurate is it? :confused:

The Airfix slot is already too big and/or in the wrong place.....I was contemplating filling the existing slot with milliput and fashioning a negative part from plastic rod, effectively stamping the detail into the leading edge, but I came to the conclusion that this would be a better option:

PortCarbIntake_zpshsiwyacd.jpg

I'll trim those back and blend the top and bottom of the intake into the wing with a couple of pieces of plastic card, then take the rasp to it.....See where we're at. :coolio:

• Like 1

I can see that you want to fix all the mistakes on the Airfix kit, then you have a lot of work ahead of you.

When airfix released this kit i was quit exicited, a nice cheap kit of the Bf 110 was nice, but then i got one, and was a bit disapionted, thakfully Eduard has now released the best Bf-110 kit.

The most difficult thing to fix is the enginecover on the upper surface, that extents to long, i did it using the uper wing from the old Monogram kit that is more accurate.

IMG_1963.jpg

cheers Jes

• Like 2

Stuck a few more bits on it, sourced from a junked Italeri kit:

VariousFiddlyBits_zps4ual77lz.jpg

Should the four whacking great holes under the fuselage that the bomb-mount attaches to be filled.....Can't tell from the pictures I've looked at, they do look kind of structural, but what would I know? :rolleyes:

Hmmmm.....This has kind of turned into a build thread, maybe I should ask to get it moved? :shrug:

Any images or explanation as to how you did this?

Chris

Sorry, no pictures, but it amounts to a scalpel, several sanding sticks, some wet and dry and an awful lot of dark mutterings about Airfix and their CAD crew. :wicked:

• Like 4

This was one of the earliest new kits released post-regime change in the Airfix development department, and whilst it has a few faults (Nacelles and over wide panel lines) in many ways it was a huge leap forward from what had been provided previously in 1/72 (both by them and for Bf110s).

I fixed the nacelles by sanding them back. Wasn't too difficult an evenings work

• Like 2

I've been thoroughly impressed by the fit of this kit, the last Airfix 1/72 aircraft kit I built was IIRC the old tool Bf.109E.....The progress since that one is certainly quite significant. :thumbsup:

But this does have the feel of a hurried release.....Quite how they managed to add all those panel lines yet completely miss the ailerons rather mystefies me TBH. :mental:

But it does fit together well! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Good job on that nacelle fix: I got bored about halfway through.

Not what you need to hear but the Eduard 1/72 kit completely blows the Airfix kit out of the water: one of the finest 1/72 kits it had been my pleasure to encounter (think it even trumps the Spitfire IX). Even the simplified Weekend Editions are miles better than the Airfix kit and can be had from some of the traders on this site for less than the Airfix offering.

• Like 1

Yeah the Eduard kits are lovely (I have two Gs), but this (& Monogram & Fujimi) and a junked Italeri kit with an etched set were what was in the stash at the time I got the daft idea to build a 110.....I'm actually becoming quite fond of it now, for all it's foibles. :coolio:

Here's the current state of play:

RLM02Shot_zps80a9tbvz.jpg

PinTheShellPortOnTheDonkey_zpsepypc8qj.j

I've partially filled the holes that mount the bomb-rack, they now resemble similar marks on the inner wings, probably wrong.....If it is I can sort it out when I clean up the mess that I will ineveitably make while adding the 20mm cannons' shell ejection ports that I've only just realised the kit lacks. :doh:

• Like 3

Hi, everyone. According to my copy of Warplanes of the Luftwaffe, edited by David Donald(Aerospace Publishing Ltd.(UK)/AIRtime Publishing Inc.(USA)); the gap is the supercharger intake for the port engine, a line drawing on pages 218-219 shows all the 'bits' of the Bf110(in this case a Bf110G-4b/R3). Paintings of a ZG 26 Bf110 show the supercharger intake a little better. Sgt. Squarehead did a good job of showing how it looks(with the small rods in the gap). The photos in the book just show a 'black hole'. I have both of the new Airfix Bf110s(C-2/C-4, and E/E-2 Trop.); and the Eduard PE sets for them. I figured that a PE part for the intake was in the big fret. It turned out that it isn't. I guess that means I shall have to use Sgt. Squarehead's solution. As for the 'towel rail' antenna( and a couple of others); there are two possible reasons for their not being included: The designers forgot about them(not unlikely); or, they tried to make them as accurately to scale as possible, and found that they were too fragile. These are on the Eduard PE sets and are quite delicate, but, should work fine if handled with care. I didn't notice the upper engine nacelles as the kits are still in my 'stash' of 'to build' stuff. Sanding them back will be a small challenge; but Sgt.Squarehead did show it can be done with some effort. The knowledge of the guys on this site is just impressive.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

So.....Back to it with the Bf.110:

In%20Primer_zpsy6d05x2a.jpg

After following Ced's tribulations with the Airfix shark-mouth (and having my own disater with the Eduard version) I decided to cut my remaining set of decals into four parts each.....But I have to get it painted before I will discover if there is any merit to this approach.  ;)

I had a crack at adding the missing spent shell ejection ports, but it didn't go at all well.....My template moved out of alignment so the cannon ports are leaning left, my panel scribing was so awful that I filled it and the two forward ports (Are these for spent MG cartridges?  :hmmm:) turned out to be perfectly aligned with the piece of sprue that I used to support the cockpit floor, so they got filled in again too:

Shell%20Ports_zpsshejqlul.jpg

All in all, not a great result for the effort!  :doh:

The plastic in this area is seriously thick, so I'd recommend anyone else contemplating this modification do it early and be prepared for some industrial drilling!  :fight:

• Like 3

I keep finding more things to do before finishing off the blue:

MoreBitsB4Blue_zps5piwia3w.jpg

The long range tanks are the worst fitting bit of the kit so far, clean up continues.  The location and angle of the trailing antenna mast is a best guess, the panel that it is centred in does not exist on the Airfix kit. :rolleyes:

Should the tailwheel be blue or natural metal or something else?  :shrug:

• Like 2

Hello Sarge

I have a SSP Walkaround 024  book of 110 G.

Page 57 shows tailwheel (as are all the wheels) as semi-gloss black.

The VDM Y shaped unit around it and the scissor link are the underside colour (65? 76?). The small portion of inner spring hydraulic section visible is highly polished natural metal.

I've checked out a few other pictures, none of which I can put here, and they also look pretty black to me.

Hope that helps?

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2