Silver Spitfire (Eduard 1:72 Mk IXc)

Hello GB participants and mods,

My contribution will be this spiffy new Eduard Spitfire kit, which I am building as a no. 601 squadron machine. UF-Q was flown by 11-victory ace, Flt Lt. Desmond Ibbotson from Perugia, Italy in Mid-1944. He was killed in November of 1944, when his spitfire (this machine?) crashed during a training flight.

IMG_20160824_224722928_1.jpg

Its a really fine kit, with options galore!

Here is a view of some of the many optional wheels, stores, cockpit parts, etc.

IMG_20160824_225025917_1.jpg

and the PE bits

IMG_20160824_224928985_1.jpg

And finally a closeup of the very delicate surface detail. I don't expect any of the tiny rivets to show after a coat of primer and paint.

IMG_20160824_224851097_1.jpg

If anybody from Eduard is reading this; thank you for making such fine products in 1:72. Keep them coming, please!

Work will begin tomorrow evening.

• Like 7

I began this build by assembling portions of the wing and fuselage. Although there isn't much to show off with yet, I'm happy to say that everything fits really well. I was pleased when I attached the wingtips and didn't see a step down in thickness, which seems common on a lot of spitfire kits. A test fit of the wing and fuselage shows that joint to be spot-on as well.

IMG_20160826_225116885.jpg

• Like 3

Much progress on the interior. I typically don't go too wild on 1/72nd interiors, but Eduard treats you to one that is just chucky-jam full of detail! I did the best I could, but I had trouble with fitting the sutton harness through the armor plate, and so it came out a bit sloppy.

IMG_20160830_214152775_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160830_214217059_HDR.jpg

Shortly after taking this photo, I began assembling these components, and let me just sat that the warnings about very tight fit is no b.s.

Things began popping apart for me. The armor plate PE flew off along with part of the harness, and I managed to lose the control stick.

Right now I'm just trying to breathe deeply. I put everything aside before I make it worse and fly into a rage.

I'll reattach the plating tomorrow, and scour the damned floor for the control column. Dammitall :rant:

• Like 4

Thanks for the levity, guys. It puts these things in perspective :)

I buttoned everything up, and the cockpit looks fine(-ish) now. I still can't find the control column. It must have changed several trains by now.

I'll have to rig something up and throw it in there. Maybe there is one from a dead airfix spitfire in the spares box...hmmm.

Fit of the fuselage halves was okay, but I'll need putty in the area in front of the cockpit. Fit of the wing root was not perfect, and required some sanding. I ran a marker over the rescribed seem and there is some unevenness and burrs in there from uneven cement drying. Any tips on how to fix that? It's going to stick out once the silver goes on.

1472786423315997632788.jpg

• Like 6

I read somewhere that the cockpit sidewalls can interfere with the fit of the wing. I've found that a tiny piece of sandpaper attached to a 'flattened' end of a cocktail stick can be handy for sanding wing roots without tearing up too much of the surrounding plastic.

IMG_2836_zpseaoc04iq.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry you've had a few problems but it's looking very good so far. I'm pleased to see several of these Eduard 1/72 Spitfire kits being built at the moment because I've got one and it's good to take notes! :winkgrin::popcorn:

• 1 month later...

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I was tinkering with this build again and somehow the PE instrument panel fell out of the completed cockpit and vanished!?! 

HOW!?!?! WHERE?!?!?!!

I swear, I'm about ready to give up on 1:72 models after all the recent failures. I've built aircraft in this scale since the early 90s, and the prospect of storing and displaying a larger scale collection frightens me, but seriously, of the dozen or so 1/72 kits I have started in the last year, I have finished maybe five, and two of those will probably get binned because of the screwups I can't unsee. 

This is not the place for this rant. but dangit, I just don't know

Hi SoftScience - apologies but I missed your thread and I'm building the same one... and having similar problems :(

Sorry to hear that the i/p has gone missing - it's probably inside the nose, of course, and I've found in the past that shaking sometimes works, although with the tight fit in this one I'm not sure...

Good luck from me :) 

It's happened to me before where something falls off INTO the plane, and I cannot get it back out no matter how long I shake it.

I know my part isn't missing, it's right there. Inside. But never to be seen again :wall:

So my sympathies.

What scares me about larger scales isn't just the storage space, but also there's more kit's in 1/72. And what if I want to build a B-29 and my scale is 1:48? It won't fit anywhere, and also my OCD won't allow me to mix different scale aircraft in the same room!

Anyway I hope you find you IP and can continue your build.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 1