Eduard Mk1 Hellcat FAA

A bit of info from the chaps at Eduard before I post a few pics.

During Operation ‘Hoops’, Lt. Blythe Ritchie of 800 Sqd, gained a kill over an Fw 190 A from JG 5. It was his fifth kill, his first in the cockpit of a Hellcat, and consequently, one of the few kills by the Hellcat over the Luftwaffe. Six days later, during Operation ‘Potluck A’, Ritchie gained another aerial victory flying JV132. He attacked a formation of He 115 floatplanes, and got an individual kill, and one more

shared with Lt.Cdr. Stan Ohrr.

So I purchased yet another Eduard kit recently and cracked on with the dual combo Mk1 and Mk2 Hellcat (FAA) This is the completed Mk1, and I am happy with how it turned out, much better than my previous FW190. Paints used were Tamiya acrylics followed by Humbrol's gloss cote, decalfix used on the carto decals (Which were very nice i must say) and then finished off with Humbrol's matt cote. The wing nav lights are clear enamel colours as i find that works much better than the tamiya acrylic ones when using clearfix to attach. No wash was placed onto this aircraft but exhaust stains were tamiya's smoke and oils for the rust/dirt stain. Now I'm onto the Mk2 Hellcat!

_MG_1388_zpssvlyitkw.jpg

_MG_1387_zpsibwswvth.jpg

_MG_1386_zpsdo20zugh.jpg

_MG_1383_zps4zeyhfsv.jpg

_MG_1382_zpsxrwv5iia.jpg

_MG_1381_zpsoxxrejn8.jpg

And one of the cockpit before sealing the sides...

58D67A7F-9D4A-4D42-B4DA-EC0768D0A5E6_zps

Feedback welcome as I'd love to hear what people think!

• Like 11

It looks very nice indeed but the colours seem to be wrong I`m sorry to say!

It looks to be painted in RAF day fighter colours when it should wear the Temperate Sea Scheme of Extra Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey and Sky undersides, although some Hellcats wore the US paints Dark Grey and Olive Drab on top too. I`d just check your camouflage pattern for the rear of the fuselage on the right side and also the fin too as these seems to be a section of grey missing.

Here are some real pics.

Hellcat-FAA-SEasia.jpg

TypeA2_4.jpg.

Plus a nicely painted warbrd;

DSC_1093%20F6F-3%20NX30FG%20left%20side%

5-11-05-hellcat.jpg

And the box art is superb;

british-hellcat-mk-ii-mk-iii.jpg

• Like 1

You're right I tried to get the closest in Tamiya I could but probably picked wrong!! The box art is very nice I must admit. I couldn't find any old photos when I looked I must try harder next time!

It is a lovely kit and you`ve built it superbly,.....we all make mistakes with colours, you are not alone in that, I have made loads,....and thanks for taking what I said well,...... personally I`d add a darker blue grey, add Sky underneath and use decals from another option or even paint around the existing decals,......but it still looks nice as it is and it is not pink and yellow or anything like that is it!!

Cheers

Tony

It was a joy to build if I'm truthful too, no fit issues whatsoever either.

It is a stunner of a kit, my only issue is that my canopy won't sit like yours when it's pulled back... I will keep trying

Rob

Thanks Tony. Maybe if I gloss cote it again and give it a sludge wash it'll darken the grey down! Think the panel lines will be too full with another coat though. Like you say it's not bright pink! Haha!

Rob, I wonder why it's not sitting right then, very odd. Hope you get it sorted pal :)

Yes, as Tonyot said, your camo seems to be relatively wrong.

If you look at the pictures you can see that it's relatively difficult to differentiate

both colours on the upper wing and fuselage; that is the effect that the two colours,

extra dark sea grey and slate grey make. You have the impression, because they are rather near

that they melt one into another.

I am sorry to say it but on your model this is not at all the case.

But this seems rather easy to correct; try to mask the insignias and paint on the new correct colour.

I wish you a lot of success because your model is very beautifully built.

Great job. Polo.

I cannot wait to see your model once it is corrected.

Edited by polo1112

Thanks for your comment polo. I'm not sure I have the skill level to mask up the markings and re paint if I'm truthful, i don't particularly want to risk ruining the whole model. I'm tempted to add a wash to darken it down slightly but I'm not sure another coat will leave enough on the recesses to fill. We shall see! I'm unsure on how to even go about masking up the markings too!

Thank you F-32 for your kind words :)

Thanks Celt, it was very nice. I've built a few Eduard kits now and the only issues I had were with the FW190 ones, all the others have been really nice to build, highly recommend them! The other bonus about this kit is that it was two kits in one box for not much money!! :)