Kicking old school. Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon

Stosh65

Totally forgot this was coming. Thankfully the kit's been in the stash for a while.

111_0734_zps3zzfzrfn.jpg

An oldie. Rember when the wings went in a slot on the side of the fuselage?

111_0735_zpstvwhg8cn.jpg

The seat got stolen for a Hurricane earlier this year, forgot about that, and there's no cockpit detail at all so I think we'll have a blacked out canopy. Any tips on how best to do that?

Having noticed that whifs are permissible in this, we might go that route. Needs a dig through the spares box to see what's available. I was considering getting some acrylics for this but its not a time to be adjusting to a new material so I'll just to cope with eternal enamel drying times. No gloss on this one. Busy Saturday so this'll be a Sunday/Monday build. See you all then.

• Like 2

I'll be keen to see how this comes up. It was one of the 1st kits I did with my son as I was getting back into modelling & although the detail is lacking the shape always appeared pretty good & I've seen some cracking jobs done on it.

Steve.

• Like 1

Stinger tail hook from a bit of bent wire, cut the rudder off short and extend the chord a wee bit to compensate - should work. I'm not sure that the navy types deserve such a fine beastie though.

I have a spare seat from my Spitfire if you change your mind about blacking out the canopy.

Otherwise I'd be tempted to just paint the entire pit flat black or the underside of the canopy, to keep the full glass shine.

You thought I was pushing it with a P-38, the old Airfix Typhoon is a dog. I used mine for practising rescribing, I just couldn't bring myself to do anything else with it! I look forward to plan B

• Like 1

C.1959 so they had the money back off the tooling just about! Virtually never out of the catalogue either until the new tool came along. State of the art back when I was 10 year old but allegedly a pretty good shape, I'm sure you'll enjoy the simplified way of modelling we enjoyed in the olden days when we had to model by candlelight and Champion The Wonder Horse was on TV.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

A new plan has been formulated but I'm keeping it a surprise. We'll see late Monday how it goes.

If it's even more cunning than a FAA Typhoon it should be good.

C.1959 so they had the money back off the tooling just about! Virtually never out of the catalogue either until the new tool came along. State of the art back when I was 10 year old but allegedly a pretty good shape, I'm sure you'll enjoy the simplified way of modelling we enjoyed in the olden days when we had to model by candlelight and Champion The Wonder Horse was on TV.

Enjoy!

You could afford candles! As a kid I could only model on clear full moon nights. Between 12 hours mining for treacle and 4 hours serving in t'pub (now they could afford candles) and having to cook my own tea when I got in, raw gravel and dripping is no meal, I was lucky to get to bed before I got up again. You tell people today and they don't believe you, soft they are, soft.

• Like 1

And we're off.

111_0737_zpsxcrn3nuh.jpg

Quick coat of primer first as there's some painting to be done before assembly and it looks like we're set for showers this afternoon so needed to get it out the way. Just throwing this up while waiting for that to dry.

111_0739_zpsyggdrrii.jpg

More soon.

• Like 4

I think I'd have gone with Apollo 13 but each to their own. A great film made even better by some of my younger acquaintances not realising it was true and hanging on every second. Marvellous.

Great start on the model as well. I've also been rain dodging :weep:

Better that than the phantom menace.

Another coat of paint on. Probably need one more but we'll see. That'll be after tea. Out to a nice wee Italian place we've got an itison voucher for.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the simplified way of modelling we enjoyed in the olden days when we had to model by candlelight

Mind you, looking back on what I said there, it might be the 1970's I'm remembering with the candles.....

Calling it for day 1. Paint is on and after some initial trepidation I think we'll be OK. Assembly first thing tomorrow, another coat on the upper fuselage and we'll see where we'll go from there.

DSC_0006_zpsil9xygkf.jpg

Note the non-essential bottle. Its good stuff.

• Like 2

So we're off and running again, a little earlier than planned. I resent the guy across the road cutting his grass with a loud petrol lawn mower at 8am on a bank holiday. However here we are just after breakfast (nothing exciting)...

DSC_0576_zpslvpc4kj3.jpg

Main build is now done, gear and detail bits all touched up ready to go on when they've dried off, then decals. I do think its looks great in these colours.

DSC_0577_zps7pq1rn6p.jpg

A few hours drying and another update will be forthcoming. Decals and I just remembered I'll need an arrestor hook from somewhere. To the spares!

• Like 4

All the bits are on and just awaiting decals but I'll give it a couple of hours while the paint sorts itself out properly. No arrestor hooks in the spares so I've had to scratch one out of an old missile rail. Not attached yet but I'm pleased with it.

DSC_0580_zpsaarkpkny.jpg

A little light lunch. Is there any other way a pie should be eaten?

DSC_0579_zpsz9vmccw4.jpg

• Like 2