Gloster Gladiator interior colour

le wombat agile

After a year of inactivity I'm going to resume my modelling with the Eduard, in fact Roden, Gloster Gladiator in 1/48 scale. It's a great kit that allows to build all the versions ncludng the sea gladiator.
I'd like to build a pre war version with the aluminium finishing that I'll complete with the Pheon Transfers sheet.

The Eduard instructions sheet suggests the interior green for the cockpit side and the base with other details in aluminium as well as the seat.
My doubt is wether the pre war version has the same green. I remember that many years ago I read about a red oxide colour (maybe a primer?) used in the 20's and 30's. Probably the Gladiator entered service when the interior green was already in use anyway if some member could confirm me....

Thank you in advance and happy modelling!

Ezio

After a year of inactivity I'm going to resume my modelling with the Eduard, in fact Roden, Gloster Gladiator in 1/48 scale. It's a great kit that allows to build all the versions ncludng the sea gladiator.

I'd like to build a pre war version with the aluminium finishing that I'll complete with the Pheon Transfers sheet.

The Eduard instructions sheet suggests the interior green for the cockpit side and the base with other details in aluminium as well as the seat.

My doubt is wether the pre war version has the same green. I remember that many years ago I read about a red oxide colour (maybe a primer?) used in the 20's and 30's. Probably the Gladiator entered service when the interior green was already in use anyway if some member could confirm me....

Thank you in advance and happy modelling!

Ezio

IIRC The RAF ones were green, the export aircraft were different and also had different instrument panels.

Selwyn

The red oxide you refer to would be the shrink primer dope applied from the outside and "bleeding " through, resulting in a pinkish colour that would probably vary. However, only on fabric covered surfaces. As the Gladiator cockpit was metal-panelled, the shrink dope would only be visible in the rear fuselage at best.

• Like 1