11 hours ago, CedB said:

Hi Joe. Mrs B is off to London on the 11th so I'm in! Looking forward to it :) 

Hi Ced, that's good. I'll see you there. :D

I've applied the fuselage decals. Most of the main components are now ready to be glued together.

C8120E57-68A9-4429-8448-34097C508AA3_zps

The fuselage and main wing are ready to be glued together.

I still have a few parts to paint, which includes the propeller and the wheels. The guns and other small parts have been painted, and are ready to be glued into position. 

Thanks for looking, Joe.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, BerndM said:

Beautiful build of the graceful aircraft.

Hello Bernd, nice to hear from you. Thank you. Your right, it really is a graceful aircraft. Joe. 

• Like 1

I made a bit more progress last night and today.

The horizontal stabilizers interlock with each other at the centre point. When positioned, they were in a straight line, but with a slight downward angle.

To over come this, I first glued the port side in place by putting a roll of 6mm tape under the tip to keep it level. When this had dried, I done the same to the starboard side. This way, they were in a straight line, and square off the tail. 

This was done on a flat surface, with the model held in place with tape.

0FD0C9EC-B5B7-4165-9608-5D69C6B30A77_zps

Port side already glued in place, with the starboard side being supported by a roll of tape while the glue dries overnight.

D27AF0C4-0272-45F9-B05B-BCE10E33AB1D_zps

The machine guns glued in place.

With the main wing, and tail plane all glued in place, the next step will be to glue on the main undercarriage legs.

I've fitted them before to see how they look in place. The fit was good, but I will use a makeshift jig to make sure they are square off the wings surface. All being well, I will get them attached tomorrow.

Thanks for looking, Joe. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice Joe - I wish my models looked that good in close ups! :) 

Thank you Ced, you are too kind. It's amazing what you can get away with on these modern cameras  :winkgrin:. And they say, the camera never lies. Yeah, right :wicked:

Below is the makeshift jig I made to align the undercarriage legs. It was basically just a flat piece of Perspex, with two rolls of poly tape to hold the model in place while I positioned the undercarriage legs. I measured the height between the wing tip, and Perspex on both sides to make sure the wings were level after gluing the legs in place. 

A6D8E01D-4E6E-4BB8-BF77-B0FB926DAC49_zps

I left the model all day for the glue to set. 

I've yet to glue the wheels to the legs. I need to paint the tyres first. I have some 8mm dots to mask the hubs. This will make spraying the tyre black easy. 

468F219B-C3EE-4649-97CA-1454EC1FF5E4_zps

Masking dots for the wheels. 

When these have been painted, I will glue them in place. 

Hopefully, I'll get these painted tomorrow, along with gluing the cowling in place. 

Thanks for looking, Joe. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

I've just finished catching up with the Boy looking over my shoulder, and we both think it's coming along great :coolio:

Thank you Mike, and thank you young sir as well. :D

Nice clean work! 

What glue are you using? i'd be terrified of messing up the paint job with glue smears... Or even it just ooozing out of a joint....

I glue as much as I can before paint. Then get paint all over the bits I don't want to instead of glue, constantly retouching up, lesser of two evils :wall:

ps are those dots the little fluff pads to stop furniture from scratching stuff? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Nice clean work! 

What glue are you using? i'd be terrified of messing up the paint job with glue smears... Or even it just ooozing out of a joint....

I glue as much as I can before paint. Then get paint all over the bits I don't want to instead of glue, constantly retouching up, lesser of two evils :wall:

ps are those dots the little fluff pads to stop furniture from scratching stuff? 

Thank you Tony.

I use three glues mainly, Revell Contacta (with the metal tube), Tamiya extra thin cement, and Formula '560' (PVA)

When I'm constructing the kit, I tend to use the Tamiya extra thin. This is before I've painted anything. If I do put to much on, I blow on it as fast as I can to evaporate it. 

I use the Revell Contracta for assembling the kit after I've painted it. I squirt a little on a piece of card, and apply it to the parts to be bonded with a cocktail stick. I apply it areas that are hidden from sight as much as I can. On the Claude for example, the only area I glued to hold the main wing on, is highlighted by the red hoop in the photo below.

064B6423-DF8A-4AD5-B2CB-0B71EF182D75_zps

When joining other parts, I put the glue on the tips of parts that will be pushed up into the location hole. Only a small amount, this will spread along as the part is pushed into the location hole. See the red marks on the photo below.

001A32E6-138A-4B59-A944-95A8F19D4C55_zps

I use the PVA glue to attach things like aerials and small details after painting as this won't mark the paint work. 

The dots are made of masking tape. They are used to place over screwheads on full size panels so the paint does not fill the slots. And of course, used on wheels for model aircraft. :winkgrin:

Hope this helps, Joe. 

20 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Just caught up with this, love the paintwork, you've captured the nmf superbly.

Thank you woody, I'm glad you like it. Joe

• Like 4

Brilliant thanks for the detailed explanations mate.  

Happy enough with with gluing undercarriage legs in after painting, it was more the wing to fuselage join being done after paint especially cause its nmf too. 

That wouldn't end good for me, or perhaps haven't found a kit yet that allows for it. 👍🏿

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Brilliant thanks for the detailed explanations mate.  

Happy enough with with gluing undercarriage legs in after painting, it was more the wing to fuselage join being done after paint especially cause its nmf too. 

That wouldn't end good for me, or perhaps haven't found a kit yet that allows for it. 👍🏿

Your welcome Tony. The wing to fuselage joint does depend on the kit. I find most modern day kits go together very well, and don't need filler on the wing joint. 

I do build and paint my kits in subassemblies as much as possible, then glue them together. That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes, I just try and put the glue in areas that can't be seen. The underside of the horizontal stadilizer is a good example, It can only be seen if the model is viewed from below. The photo gives an example of how far I get before final assembly. I'm off to work now, but will explain more about the wing joint tonight if I get chance. Joe.

5D360EB6-28BE-45EC-A178-478E89EE54CE_zps

• Like 4

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very, very nice work.

An excellent build with equally good paintwork and nice weathering. A lovely job on a lovely looking aircraft.

Craig.

Thank you Craig, it's a beautiful little kit. Joe 

• Like 1

Hello Tony, if you look at the photo below, I've marked the areas in red where I would put the glue. I also put a thin layer of glue in the areas show by the red circles. The idea is not to put it to near the surface, or put to much on. But, like I said, it can still go wrong, so be careful. 

CBC95B21-1896-4B30-8E63-554284C5E45D_zps

When the fuselage is pushed in the direction of the arrow, most of the glue should go down with it. 

I painted the wheels, and glued them in place. I also glued the cowling on. Anyone who knows me and my micro-mesh fetish, also knows I have a gouache fetish as well. This time, I've used a silver gouache to highlight the flap detail on the cowling. 

9DAE9B46-0659-4B26-8C34-68ADBC40B6A3_zps

The cowling after the silver gouache has been applied. 

Thanks for looking, Joe. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Good grief Joe, you can see your face in that cowling!

Gorgeous work as usual.

Thank you Ceb, kind as always. But wait, the curve on the cowling makes me look short, fat and ugly! 

On reflection, it's a good likeness. :D

I can also see the reflection of my Union Jack at the top. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CedB said:

Not at all old chap, not at all :)

What a kind man you are Ced. :D

Today, I managed to get the flaps, tail wheel, fuel tank and hook glued in position. Thinking I could finish before the weekend, I decided to paint the windscreen. I masked it, painted the frame black, then painted the silver on top. 

It looked fine, but then, like an idiot, I removed the tape and glued it in place on the fuselage. It was then I noticed my finger prints in the paint. I was annoyed with myself thinking that I could do all this in an hour, then forgetting the paint would still be soft. I will have to remove the paint and start again. 

51A19240-7DC0-4F47-AE78-6D115CB24792_zps

I've only a few parts to glue in place, and the model will be finished. The propeller, the aerial, the windscreen and gunsight. The most time consuming thing will be the windscreen. I don't think I will have time to do that until Monday.

I don't want to rush it, in case I ruin it. All being well, I will get it finished in the week and take some photos of the completed model next weekend. 

Thanks for looking, Joe

• Like 2

On 20/01/2017 at 5:33 PM, Nigel Heath said:

A quite stunning build, lovely neat and tidy work and some interesting ideas along the way. :goodjob:

Thank you Nigel, much appreciated from a man of your caliber. :)

On 20/01/2017 at 6:06 PM, CedB said:

Bad luck with the fingerprints Joe. Don't rush it though (as if I have to say that) - we'll wait for the unveiling!

Thanks Ced, I could kick myself. The one thing I should get right is the transparencies, but I made a pigs ear out of it! 

Never mind, I just don't want to snap it while I'm cleaning the paint off, that would be a right pain.  :doh:

• Like 2

As you can see, I've finished my Claude and have posted a photo below. 

616DCF34-509F-457C-B018-21560CD4DB06_zps

I intend to take a few photos over the weekend, then post them on RFI. I'll leave a link on this page. 

I really enjoyed making this kit. It went together extremely well, with no filler being required. The cockpit detail is very good. The only addition to the cockpit was the seat harness. The decals were very thin, and went on easily with no problems. 

Thanks for looking, Joe. 

• Like 4