Hampden TB conversion from AZ?

Graham Boak

In a thread on white Hampden torpedo-bombers, Jan Polc of AZ makes it clear that work is being done on this subject, and that this is so far advanced that the torpedo-bomber conversion will be a "cut here and add" conversion.

We can of course dream of larger things, but he hasn't said that it will be any more than the conversion parts, or that it will be a 1/72 tooling for AZ, or any other scale for any other company, or given any idea of possible dates.

• 3 weeks later...

Valom plastic + new AZmodel set of transparencies - release expected in October 2016

1/72 - Handley Page HP.52 Hampden Mk.I - ref. AZ7548

Sources:

http://www.azmodel.cz/product_info.php?products_id=820&osCsid=3ndar1ncae047btfep08p29522

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234931186-azmodellegatoadmiral-wwii-aircraft-comments-questions-and-wishes/?p=2472649

AZ7548_box-1-180x117.jpg

But also

(...) It is almost taken as good one with no probelmatic build but with a big issue - transparecies. In fact, really big issue. So we created new set of transparencies, we hope with almost perfect fit and correct in shape. Then, thanks to Graham Boak we made the second set of transparencies, which allows you to make very easy conversion to the TB version. (...)

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

Not so much a rumour but have I missed something?  AZ Models' website has a Handley Page Hampden on it in the new releases section.  First I've heard of it and jolly good news it is too.

On 8/9/2016 at 9:47 AM, dalea said:

Hope one can buy the transparencies separately but commercial reality suggests otherwise.

I'd like that option too, having the original Valom kit in the stash I wouldn't mind being able to buy some better transparencies

• Like 2

Interesting. I have the Valom Hampden kit, and I also purchased the Valom conversion & weapons set which includes both bombs and torpedo. Is the AZ conversion set going to be something different, or just a re-release of the Valom conversion set?

Cheers,

Bill

The Valom torpedo conversion set is wrong:  The AZ kit will have the first correct conversion parts for a torpedo bomber.  The gondola is reduced in depth, and the bomb-bay doors stay the same: yes, this is correct despite what so many books and drawings show.  Also I gather, better transparencies that actually fit.

• Like 2

I too would be interested in buying this updated kit as I once had the Valom kit but sold it on after I found out the canopies were nearly 2mm wider than the kits fuselage. And I didn't want to add a plug to the kits body so it would match the already too large canopy.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

So, will the AM producers provide the Hereford bits or might AZ themselves? Can't remember if anyone asked Jan.

Valom themselves did produce a Hereford:

http://www.valom.net/images/produkty/foto_72035 Handley Page Hereford/foto_72035 Handley Page Hereford.html

so it's possible that AZ might follow suit. 

The colours of the 489 Sqn Hampden TB.1 look wrong........they should actually be EDSG/Slate Grey with Sky undersides,....ie the standard TSS. The photo of the real thing does look light but the scheme illustrated in the artwork (and lots of other artwork too!) is a myth!

Here is XA-Y wearing the TSS which comes across a being light in the photo due to the type of film,.probably ortho film...look how the yellow of the roundel is very dark ;

Image result for 489 sqn hampden

Here is a great 489 Sqn scheme,...TSS with black undersides,.....note the air tail too;

Image result for 489 sqn hampden

Here is a Valom Hampden converted into a TB.I wearing the TSS with black undersides;

Image result for hampden torpedo raaf

I`m looking forward to the new kit with clear parts that fit,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

2 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

There's yellow there? :blink: 

However, can clearly see the undersides are a different shade from the rest!

Yes the outer ring of the roundel shows up as a darker colour on ortho film when it is in fact yellow,...red appears very dark too while the blue of the roundel appears much lighter. If you look at the upper surface camo and compare it to the photo below, you can just make out the camouflage demarcation lines.

Here is a good representation of the effects of ortho film on a Spitfire, note how dark the yellow outline of the fuselage roundel is (and propeller tips), plus the red,......yet the mustard coloured gas patch is not affected, and the camouflage colours appear to have merged into one colour, you have to look very hard for the demarcation lines;

Image result for yellow aircraft ortho film

This thread might also help;

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot