AZ 1/72 Martin Baker MB5

Beard

Not so fast - although proof seems to be lacking, Micheal Bonello, in Modelaid International Magazine, March 1987, in describing several options available to the builder of the Skybirds 86 M.B.5 kit, says the following:

"Option 5 is tentative but most probably authentic. It has been reported in other publications that the underside colour was eventually changed to Medium Sea Grey. This is quite possible, since the M.B.5 was still airworthy late in 1947, well past its prototype trials. However, this change might also have brought about removal of the yellow 'P' and ring. Since we could find no photographic evidence to substantiate the latter, we hope one of our readers might throw more light on this point." Whether anyone confirmed Bonello's conjecture, I don't know.

Anyone building the AZ kit might be interested to know that the M.B.5's original configuration included the much different fin/rudder/stabilizers/elevators from the M.B.3 and a slightly different windscreen, so a conversion is possible - maybe I should have ordered two kits instead of just one... :undecided:

I assume someone will eventually describe this history in more detail, but during its tests, the M.B.5 had not only the previously-mentioned empennage revision, but also two different props, three different spinner colours (gloss black, polished aluminum, and matte black), and a revision in its roundel sizes to conform to a change in MoD standards - all kinds of possibilities - maybe I should have ordered 3 or 4 of them! :hmmm:

John

PS - One other comment - the instruction sheet for the Pegasus 1/72 M.B.5 says flat out that the undersides were MSG (in fact, no alternative is even mentioned); Chris Gannon credits a former member of the Martin-Baker design team for assistance in preparing the kit, so maybe he was the one who provided the paint details. This is not to dispute the yellow colour, which is proven photographically, but to provide some support for the possibility of the application of Medium Sea Grey later in the aircraft's life, as Bonello suggested.

Hi John,

So there's a decent likelyhood that the MB5 did have MSG undersides at one stage. Sounds good enough to me!

• Like 1

Any word on the cost of the regular kit?

I can see this becoming a Whiffer dream here if the price is reasonable enough...

The kit price of the kit itself shouldn't change - the decals are a bonus freebie until the current supply runs out; after that, the reprints will sell separately from the kit for 4.50 Euros, IIRC - Jan mentioned the price elsewhere in this thread.

John

I was all keen to go for a pre-order but Jan has informed me as he has others on this side of the world that post is a bit of a killer & after seeing the whif decals I can quite happily wait for the regular model through normal channels, though the 4th whif is kinda nice, reminds me of something though not sure what, maybe the older yellow wing striped training scheme, maybe something else?

Steve.

The WHIFs are frankly crazy, they are schemes (and serials) that represent completely different eras' than that the aircraft was designed to exist in.

Early post-war RAF and realistic export schemes, and Korea etc would have been brilliant.

Kind of puts the yellow or grey undersides debate in to perspective!

• Like 2

The WHIFs are frankly crazy, they are schemes (and serials) that represent completely different eras' than that the aircraft was designed to exist in.

Early post-war RAF and realistic export schemes, and Korea etc would have been brilliant.

Kind of puts the yellow or grey undersides debate in to perspective!

Before you get too excited about old aircraft in modern schemes you need to remember that QinetiQ at Boscombe Down still operate a 1943 vintage Harvard. The prototype/pre production Hawk still flies from there as well.

Before you get too excited about old aircraft in modern schemes you need to remember that QinetiQ at Boscombe Down still operate a 1943 vintage Harvard. The prototype/pre production Hawk still flies from there as well.

Don't forget the black/white BoBHF Chippies.

If I were to do a WHIF MB5, I would probably do something like a 17 Sqn one in Far East camo, Dark Green, Dark Earth and Sea Grey (Medium) undersides and with a ruddy great panther down the side.

Trevor

• Like 4

While it seems that doing the conversion the homemade way should be within the capabilities of that mythical creature The Average Modelbuilder, I wonder if any of the aftermarket folk will come out with the original M.B.3-style fin, rudder, canopy, and tailplanes to backdate the M.B.5 to its initial configuration? I really might have to buy two of these kits...

John

Not excited, quite the opposite, and fairly knowledgeable about the tester fleet.

The Harvard is fairly exceptional in its longevity in general, but I haven't seen may late WWII era fighters being produced into the XJ serial range, and still giving service to the MoD.

Just my take.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, JamesP said:

Has Humbrol 30 Dark Green been corrected as it was always notoriously inaccurate?

So it was said.  The tin I bought, with a lid that looked like a good Dark Green, wasn't the new version; but that was a couple of years ago, and I haven't felt the need to try another since.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...