Alclad polished aluminum ?

DDELK

Ok so here is my dilemma, I sprayed my aircraft with alclad polished aluminum and it came out beautiful!! Now the draw back.. The decal solution left real nasty stains that did not evaporate. So now I managed to fix the paint back to normal, but this time I sprayed future on it and as you can probably guess the illustrious shine is now more of just a bare metal finish. I was pretty disappointed but I didn't see much of another option. Are there any bits of advice out there or is this just the way it is..lol

P.S the plane still turned out to be great looking, it just didn't have that shine that I wanted..

Thanks

Dave

Polished aluminium is one of the three or so items in the range that you can't use setting solutions on. They are also less durable.

Alclad themselves do a water based sealing coat for these finishes, which you apply thinly before decalling or handling. Whilst this does diminish the effect slightly, it is not so bad as Klear, or any of the other clearcoat possibilities, as it is specifically formulated for use with the polished finishes.

You can use mild setting solutions with it and you can also mask and apply paints over it, though I'm not sure whether there are any that will affect it.

Be careful with Alclad's Aqua Gloss coat. Whilst it will have less of an impact on the polished finish, it still doesn't take to kindly to setting solutions - even mild ones like Micro Sol and Set.

I find that it is perfectly adequate to not use any decal solutions on Alclad finishes. Then just remove any decal residue and apply a matt or satin sheen to finish.

Hth,

Tom.