Paint Masks for camo

Raven Morpheus

Hey all

One of the things that's putting me off building a couple of kits I have is that they require some sort of camo scheme to be painted on them, and I can't stand doing it via the usual methods - mostly using blutack...

So I was wondering if anyone knows of any good paint mask sets out there for a 1/48 Hurricane MkIID in North Africa camo and a 1/72 CH-53 in South East Asia (SEA) camo?

Or, alternatively, where (online) I can get masking tape in an A4 sheet, like you can with decal paper, and some in-scale (I can upsize or downsize myself if needed) templates for the camo schemes that I can print out?

TIA

Edited by Raven Morpheus

AML and Eduard do masks for the Hurricane in the A and B camouflage schemes. They are labelled for the Hurricane Mk I but they might work for a Mk II, I've no idea if there was a difference in the camouflage patterns on Mk I or Mk II Hurricanes.

thanks

Mike

I'm guessing you wouldn't happen to know if the North African schemes were different to the A and B green/earth schemes?

@PhantomBigStu - I'd still need some kind of template...

@Black Knight/Jusjay - I'll have a look at that, That Tamiya sheet looks exactly like what I was after, and I had forgotten about Frisket film, I thought about using that on the underside of the wings on my KBoP. I'll have a look on Hannants and see if they have a North African theatre set of masks.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

I'm guessing you wouldn't happen to know if the North African schemes were different to the A and B green/earth schemes?

Essentially they were all A scheme on Mk.II. Just colours different; some might have them transposed.

@Graham Boak/Black Knight - Cool. I can just buy a set for a green/earth scheme then.

Just leaves the Super Jolly Green to get masks for or templates to print.

At least if I have those I'll be more inclined to build the models.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

I used the AML ones on the Hurricanes I've built (desert ones) including Mk I's and II's. They worked fine but you need to be careful as they are meant to mask the Dark Earth so you can paint the Green on. On Desert Hurricanes, Mid Stone replaced Dark Green, so you mask the Dark Earth but then you paint on the lighter Mid Stone, which to me is a bit back to front as I've always been tought to paint the lighter colours first.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

If you have access to a scanner or photocopier Joe (Fatboydim) used film on his Defiant build by scaling the kit's scheme diagram and I copied the technique on my Hurricane (and others) with Panzer Putty for the fuselage (film masks don't stick well to curved surfaces in my experience). I like this method for complex camo patterns and have a set of Spitfire templates that I reuse. You could use Black Knight's suggestion for the film. Make sure you use a sharp knife / scissors to cut the film or a 'bent up edge' can lead to edges which you'll need to Micromesh afterwards (ask me how I know!)

HTH

• Like 1