another new aircraft ....a noggy one

junglierating

Sat in a semi interesting meeting this afternoon watching the Korean Wildcat do it's stuff when the all shine red and white Norwegian 101 cruised by looking very tasty...interesting radar set up on those too no pics but will look out for an opportunity .

Sexy looking beast ....for a furious palm tree!!!

The RAF/RN should have replaced their Sea Kings with Merlin`s like the Norgies,.....just my own personal opinion and not meant to be a slur on the civilian crews who are now doing the job.

Tony

The RAF/RN should have replaced their Sea Kings with Merlin`s like the Norgies,.....just my own personal opinion and not meant to be a slur on the civilian crews who are now doing the job.

Tony

Umm maybe not it's not that great getting better now the jungliies have it em but it ain't no sea king!!

Well the Canadians, Danes and Portugese seem to be perfectly happy with it in the SAR role, and the Norwegians were impressed enough to buy it.

Ah fair one but we are skint can't afford a rowing boat....sadly Anyhoo decision has been made it's be contracted out ....time to embrace it ....not seen many on the tv maybe it's all very safe out there....cant say for Kernow ?

Edited by junglierating

Ah fair one but we are skint can't afford a rowing boat....sadly Anyhoo decision has been made it's be contracted out ....time to embrace it ....not seen many on the tv maybe it's all very safe out there....cant say for Kernow ?

Not that safe. How many tragic drownings have there been this week? Still, aren't most of the contractor's crew ex-services? I do miss 771's Sea Kings though.

• Like 1

Oh feel like a back peddling politician now but I wrote that before the unfortunate events.

We really are lucky in this country to have a service like SAR.

As for 771.....pah! What about the best SAR squadron....772 mind you I might be bias....been thinking about combining the new mk 4 and rippling out the insides of a mk3 to produce a mk4 SAR

...must do some research

• Like 1

Oh feel like a back peddling politician now but I wrote that before the unfortunate events.

We really are lucky in this country to have a service like SAR.

As for 771.....pah! What about the best SAR squadron....772 mind you I might be bias....been thinking about combining the new mk 4 and rippling out the insides of a mk3 to produce a mk4 SAR

...must do some research

Good luck with that. I didn't even know there was a Mk4 SAR. Much as I like the Sea King, and I have the Junglie in the stash, I find the all the different marks very confusing, although not as confusing as the Whirlwind. I only got to grips with the Wessex because of the Warpaint publication.

P.S. Didn't know about 772. Where did they live?

• Like 1

772 NAS were based at Portland from the mid-1970s for SAR duties, initially with the Wessex HAS.1 and HU.5. They converted to Sea King HC.4s configured for SAR in the late 1980s and decommissioned in (I think) 1995, with their duties taken over by the Lee-on-Solent Coast Guard helicopter.

• Like 2

772 NAS were based at Portland from the mid-1970s for SAR duties, initially with the Wessex HAS.1 and HU.5. They converted to Sea King HC.4s configured for SAR in the late 1980s and decommissioned in (I think) 1995, with their duties taken over by the Lee-on-Solent Coast Guard helicopter.

Ah. Before my time in Dorset. That's my excuse. Must look them up though. Interested to see an HC.4 in the SAR role.

Well the Canadians, Danes and Portugese seem to be perfectly happy with it in the SAR role, and the Norwegians were impressed enough to buy it.

I wouldn't say the Canadians are perfectly happy with the Cormorant, it is rather $$$$$$$$$$!

I wouldn't say the Canadians are perfectly happy with the Cormorant, it is rather $$$$$$$$$$!

Well, that rather depends how you look at it.

The Canadians bought 35 ASW EH101s and 15 SAR EH101s in 1991, which was cancelled by a change of government, which necessitated $C500 million in cancellation fees. On top of that they had to spend more money keeping the existing Sea King and Labrador fleets operational. No mean feat, as each Sea King by the mid-1990s was requiring 30 man hours of maintenance for every one flying hour. They then spent years dithering over a new competition to replace it, having been embarrassed by again selecting the EH101 for its SAR requirement. Eventually they settled on the S-92 Cyclone, placing an order in 2004. The Cyclone programme has been a disaster, with the first aircraft only being delivered in the last twelve months. Sikorsky has paid out $88 million in costs, and will probably lose out by a lot more as they have agreed to deliver the aircraft at no further cost to the Canadian government. It is far from ready for service, and in the meantime the Sea King is STILL plodding on over 50 years after entering service.

So that puts procurement and maintenance costs for the Cormorant in perspective. And if the original purchase had not been cancelled, the ASW EH101s would probably be going through an MLU about now, while the Sea King would long ago have disappeared from RCN ships.

As it happens ....I know this cuz it was sequential....ZF120 -ZF124 plus ZD625 later so 20 -25 easy.

The rescue marking on the door came later...couldn't really tell the difference except the big white chelton homer aerials on the nose bay door

772's aircraft could be distinguished from Junglie HC.4s by their two-digit rather than letter codes.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000443643L.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/al_henderson/5395844885/sizes/l

'Rescue' titles were rare - the yellow rotor cap even rarer! Think the yellow beeny was a one of ...waiting for respray

https://www.flickr.com/photos/al_henderson/6884152076/sizes/l

As it happens ....I know this cuz it was sequential....ZF120 -ZF124 plus ZD625 later so 20 -25 easy.

The rescue marking on the door came later...couldn't really tell the difference except the big white chelton homer aerials on the nose bay door

Edited by junglierating

There were at some point replacements/supplements:

Another photo of the aircraft in my first link shows it's ZE425 coded '26':

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97531768@N05/9765384812/sizes/l

According to helis.com, ZD625 only served with 707 and 846?

The second link shows ZF116 at Mildenhall in 1993 coded '20'.....[/quote

Ok well on the issue of ZD625 on the last Portland navy days I was duty with the SAR watch and Carla Stewart and I were tasked to while away the afternoon putting soundproofing back on the MU cab..I had a particularly difficult panel to attached and I lost it and launched the pump action screwdriver from one end of the cab to the other narrowly missing Carla. At which point she calmly suggested a cuppa. Top girl and I'm a lot calmer now! It was ZD625.So whos arguing lol.

As for ZF116 when an aircraft was due depth servicing they rotated around...since 772 got their cabs in 88 then a temporary sell around was prob due.