Teutonic Minotaur – Bullish German from Crete!

• 2 weeks later...

As per usual I am running out of time. However, I am not giving up without a fight! A couple of small details to get done. First was to replace the kit pitot with some lengths of tubing.

IMG_1351.jpg

Second was to finish off the air cooler or whatever.

IMG_1360.jpg

Painted black and dry brushed with silver. Annoyingly when I glued this into the nose section one of the vertical bits of wire broke off, but I’m leaving that now. You can barely see it.

Then at long last I had to bite the bullet and mask that darned canopy. It felt like masking Crystal Palace with a role of tape, took almost forever; but eventually I got it done in the end. I’d sanded off the kit frames because they were wrong and scale up were about as thick as concrete pillars – see above. This made it more time consuming as I had to reference pictures, drawing etc. on tinternet. Not perfect but anyroad it’s done.

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

Finally I got the nose and tail plane glued on. At long last it is ready for primer. The nose gives it a lot of presence, as the distinctive gull-winged menacing look which characterises the Stuka eventually graces the bench:

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

I gave the canopy a spray of light green (same as the interior) then black. I’ve primed the other bits and bobs, so I can get some primer on this tomorrow.

• Like 3

The dash to the finish continues. Got a coat of Alclad grey primer on and some Alclad white on the nose and rudder. Then got some HU24 on like thus.

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

Once the yellow dried I got it masked off and then some Hobby Color RLM65 on the underside. Next up post masking was the RLM71.

IMG_1371.jpg

Splinter scheme masked and then it was the turn of the RLM70. Again Hobby Color, and I must say they went on very nicely and gave a produced a fine finish that I’m quite pleased with. Haven’t used Hobby Color paints much before, but I’m quite impressed with them so will be using them again.

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

This is pre-Klear. Quite pleased with how the splinter scheme came out. Must admit I feel it adds an extra dimension of menace to the Stuka, which after all is menacing enough!

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

Here it is with a couple of coats of Klear. Nice and shiny awaiting the transfers. I’ll let this cure overnight, then on with the transfers.

IMG_1384.jpg

Meanwhile why this dries I’ll be painting the sub-assemblies.

• Like 3

Right then. Here it is the transfers on. Went on no probs, quite impressed, no silvering, laid down well, didn’t curl up or disintegrate. On problems was the serial lettering on the undercarriage casings which is a compound curve. Also the swastika which is an Xtradecal was a bit fiddly because it consists of a white outline and a black centre in two parts.

IMG_1385.jpg

Panel line wash in progress.

IMG_1388.jpg

Just got a coat of Alclad semi-matte on. Next I be doing some final weathering, glue the sub-assemblies on, so baring a giant asteroid strike or alien abductions I should get it done in time.

• Like 3

Thank you very much gents.

Final run in. Adding a bit of weathering and shading with soft pastels.

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

After this was blended in it got a final coat of Alclad Klear Kote Matte.

Here is all the sub-assemblies waiting for assembly.

IMG_1392.jpg

Here it is unmasked and the cockpit opened up again. Pleased with how the canopy turned out given how it started life. Not perfect but I’m quite chuffed with it. Virtually took almost as long to demask as it did mask though with all those flippin’ panes.

IMG_1394.jpg

And finally at long blinkin’ last the Stuka is completed in all its menace.

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

Right then. I’ll get a couple more piccies up a bit later, and get some sorted on the gallery. Only leaves me to say thank you to the mods and hoasts, and thanks to all who have participated, commented and viewed. Happy Christmas.

• Like 4