Erich Hartmann's Bf 109s: G14 and K4 (Academy and Fine Molds, 1/72)

jrlx

EDIT:

I started this thread full of energy back in August 2016, as my entry to the Great Patriotic War GB. However, I interrupted the builds for my summer holidays (this was my last update) and when I got back home in late September I had completely lost my drive... Since then I managed to finish masking the canopies and the oleos of the main gear legs but I still have to post that progress.

So, here is my new attempt at finishing these builds. Hope you like it and I'll do my best to finish them :)

----------------------

Dear Fellow Modellers,

These are my entries for the GPW GB: two Bf 109s flown by Erich Hartmann. As they're very similar, I'll build them under the same build thread.

As most know, Hartmann is the greatest fighter pilot in aviation history, with 352 confirmed victories. He's never been injured or shot down in combat but he's lost a few aircraft to accidents or mechanical failures. However, he's always managed to come out of it uninjured.

He spent the War in the Eastern Front where, initially, the Luftwaffe ruled the skies. Hence, the great number of victories Hartmann and other German pilots achieved there.As the War unfolded, the Soviets managed to regain air superiority through a combination of better machines and more experienced pilots but Hartmann's head-start was considerable and he kept highly lethal.

His tactics were based on surprise and close range shooting, to make sure every shot hit the enemy.

When the war ended he surrendered to the Americans. However, under the terms of the agreements between the Western Allies and the Soviets, all German POWs who fought in the Eastern Front were handed over to the Soviets. So, Hartmann spent 10 and a half years in prison in the USSR, falsely charged with war crimes. Only posthumously, in 1997, have the Russian government dismissed the charges as unlawful.

After release, Hartmann returned to the Federal Republic of Germany and joined the new Bundesluftwaffe. In his honour, aircraft of one of the squadrons were painted on the nose with the stylised tulip petals he used to have painted on his Bf 109s.

Here is his last interview, given shortly before he died in 1993:

http://www.migflug.com/jetflights/final-interview-with-erich-hartmann.html

I'll build Academy's 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 109 G14, in winter camouflage, piloted by Hartmann in 1944, and Fine Molds' 1/72 Bf 109 K4, supposedly piloted by him in the last day of the War, in which he had his last combat and achieved his last victory.

It's not certain he has flown these specific aircraft. I've seen references to his winter camouflaged aircraft as being a G6 and some people say he has never piloted a K4 and that his last aircraft was a G10.

Anyway, I'll build the aircraft as proposed by the kit makers, adding Eduard's PE sets and Quickboost's resin exhausts. So, onto the kits.

This is the Fine Molds Bf 109 K4:
y4mCCuYD8AimeD6XRxQyJ3IOnFK_ixBiYtZLnEYF
IMAG4303

The Eduard PE set for this kit has two frets:
y4mB7tDI4FOKe9DZRp5-J2nlK0jkigTQ12ugg6DZ
IMAG4304

y4mjgR3EOgf_aJA-IJ-iXlTCBVQPB95Bu_vPjfjT
IMAG4305

The Academy Bf 109 G14:
y4mLXOgc9zcxKoT9S41f0zeq2NKqpXZYMCI-7puc
IMAG4307

The Eduard PE set has only one fret:
y4mdzRd98f0NjpYwAP4d1zMikVyfCCD_GXUK8dFq
IMAG4308

There aren't resin exhausts for these specific models but I bought exhausts that are similar and, hopefully, can be used directly on these kits:
y4mNNnl5_YYY5cZue9M6A7QN5NIRkAOGoqqT2gnt
IMAG4306

I started building the Fine Molds K4, which has the reputation of being one of the best 1/72 Bf 109s around. Here are the main parts for the fuselage, wings and cockpit:
y4mFTxbIHHDcL8sKGYTxnpzkM1Mw8CmQiICw0ydm
IMAG4309

A dry fit confirmed the fit should be excellent. Let's see if the PE bits introduce any fit problems...
y4mCitQswpr3P2_yuw4mwQ4676uFs7dXBViGsEhG
IMAG4312

y4mZNz8q79ORtee9qsSwCaVpHySmC5lxd7NYMcGy
IMAG4313

Next, I cut off all the small parts from the sprues and cleaned them in preparation for painting. A few examples below.

These are the main gear legs, which will have their scissor links replaced by PE parts. So, I cut the links off:
y4mw-vna3UEA0fJpH4GDORW0GuZV2zbjUR_Ry7y_
IMAG4314

These are the parts that make up the air intake for the engine:
y4mp_KxYunLh2iBWTWqv3FAa-7-B0p_uV_qWscu2
IMAG4315

They were glued together and put aside:
y4muf93Wu8xtpynzwhB-sHoRs12-hyrMmfgk3ohP
IMAG4319

These are the smaller main gear well doors. The larger ones will be replaced by PE parts:
y4mgOk7prVZ-lSSgujGrxe1Grq4WIzqx87_9Kq6_
IMAG4320

Here are all the smaller parts that have to be painted separately, grouped by colours to paint. The main wheels and propeller will need putty on ejector pin marks before being ready for painting:
y4mlp2RF_1PR0MCv-BTnWgHH3XJFB48lXStPMQAX
IMAG4341

The cockpit base will be replaced by a PE part. However, the top of the plastic part must be cut off to be used on the PE part:
y4mxi-U20dO7VfBax5OtbIooLDE3SaXQJBE90icx
IMAG4321

y4m3BF58RGb0fn-rIQ7p0AyrZUEgvTqThHaHheZ6
IMAG4322

The plastic parts of the instrument panel and front bulkhead have moulded detail that will be replaced by PE parts:
y4m8xyptGIspfzXt9X7yYfawv1N5aLsdooL26Vpx
IMAG4323

So, I removed the moulded detail and filled in the slot on the top of the instrument panel with a piece of plastic:
y4mRJ9REe3dSiUBaX354ujRiUJxdIfGzCjCysPUT
IMAG4324

The inner walls of the cockpit also have moulded detail that will be replaced by a full complement of PE bits:
y4mj-jdUTYH7P5X-TeGkbHxKgxaCV7AB6yUAXoM1
IMAG4325

This detail was removed with a nº 10 (curved) blade:
y4mDas1HfdHgC8V2v5osobjXIXBtXhfMUW-WAv0M
IMAG4326

This is one of the PE parts that makes up the inside of the radiator:
y4ms8nOi6ERY6jH1CG4GaBFOC2291JI249076aZw
IMAG4327

It has to be bent:
y4muWw4_hQUo8XRDPd9iazDXaKUA3DkAQ7Mk8o4k
IMAG4328

and the grill was masked to be kept as natural metal, while the rest will be painted RLM 02:
y4msdXwos3C47dFHpqTQBmUo7SsYDrSpG0nMiImF
IMAG4329

This is the gun sight. Apart from the reflector panels, it will be painted RLM 66 but I'm considering replacing the reflector panels by acetate.
y4m3dptG0zkb1BcGx6sm3Q8LOGSr7rEDH-4EegEE
IMAG4330

These are the parts for the external fuel tank:
y4mI0DsElt1I2L2S-28ope2aS37AwSmAJhlByDPZ
IMAG4331

It was assembled but I still need to take care of the join:
y4m77UU5Vsu6qYIXEQY4-N0E_pfEbOyk8E7BidGS
IMAG4332

Next, I started building the cockpit. Here are the PE parts:
y4mgDWRtQGvMB1Vpk__DQvaeMXusZ2z5gZ_DN4iG
IMAG4333

They were bent and readied for assembly. The plastic part is shown for comparison:
y4mMYMFE956efs29MnvXyEnu7r9TNWGRcgjGbkpD
IMAG4334

The parts were glued in place:
y4mEw0NC_PePXuTQWixgCbqwnGLTSI5y3UzEu8iH
IMAG4335

Next, I glued in place the trim wheels and chain, the control column and the bases for the pedals:
y4m8g6zua6Q2f4rg_YgtbCvZ3S_gzyetqMokDgp_
IMAG4336

y4mZw2LR02oQtrK2c27_BS3dCg5VynvmW38cpFws
IMAG4337

The seat is also a PE part that must be bent to shape:
y4mQVQBilyyT63iGEPgqj5Elx-jVl9Tmb7KV92d_
IMAG4338

It was bent:
y4m6TEoueTj4Jksgu6i09UVzTMAc2-mDOVOZXvOy
IMAG4339

and put in place:
y4mRBpU9B-JlEoTDfOTuSzf9iSQE_RJQyBns4W7w
IMAG4340

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 8

Thank you for the kind comments and interest, banzaiduke! The parts are really small. The grid in the cutting mat that can be seen in some pictures is 1 cm x 1 cm.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime, what a great start. Nice history to go with your build. The detail looks very fine for a 1/72nd model. Very well done. Joe :)

• Like 1

Hi Jaime,

It's good to see you starting something(s) fresh :)

This is very good timing for me, a couple of months ago I bought this very K-4 kit. I also bought Marseille's F-4 by Fine Molds. I'm eager to start both so very interested to see how this goes together.

Also, the paint scheme looks quite difficult, so it will be good to see how it can be done!

Great work, the photo etch looks good.

I don't know if your interested but Master make some nice gun barrels and pitot for this kit; I used them on a Heller K-4 and they looked great :)

http://www.master-model.pl/sklep.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=9

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Hi again,

This Sunday I continued working on the K4.

I started by installing the PE instrument panel, which is made of three layer of pre-painted parts. Here's the kit's instrument panel, with detail removed, and the first PE layer:

y4m7SpfMdb1uIGvYtMUMJvGbsM06MxTwEayoCtP0

IMAG4342

The first PE layer was glued to the kit's part:

y4mHFzFMeFTbe5n1rQ7s1sAOfWeku7JCT3-ezzrZ

IMAG4343

The second and third PE layers, forming the central area of the panel, followed:

y4mftNrteyAQR-LdT_wb16DxcBnDyvGcZ_xMeKdE

IMAG4344

There are some more PE parts to add to the panel:

y4m1Gt6QAjgP4cnk_GV3xhQH0Ufqhe9VNVw49KOC

IMAG4345

And here they are in place: the support for the gun sight, on the top of the panel, and a central lower command panel:

y4mCVdyFPRFKCmBBuyFoId52IIhGT_OOd_Ct48z_

IMAG4346

Next, I installed the inner starboard cockpit PE wall:

y4m88JmKXYqSGTCm2I4m6vOC_uKpAuY1VoIhgQeJ

IMAG4347

The non-painted PE parts were installed:

y4mWEhpuFWr385nlX2IOdtF3aIJYQ4ILmy0TsIJF

IMAG4348

The inner port cockpit PE wall was installed next. Here it is, with a trim tab chain already in place:

y4mM-psVbl7wPPwlQfYIbQKh0hEOn9y5N8xtiJ5M

IMAG4349

In this case I assembled the vertical rib with handles aside:

y4meF1jPnoOai_SpJeCIL7FiFbuXZaLrmRhLfzko

IMAG4350

This and the remaining non-painted parts were, then, installed on the port wall:

y4mRn2lzHXrVF-XTJ1taBqe9EVDYU8SfDXa5wH7l

IMAG4351

There was also a console with a quadrant to install on the cockpit's base. Here we have the console, already bent to shape, and the quadrant, awaiting to be bent:

y4mQjv9fMgBrQMtlU36a8kiu94B_mXPWqp2yhqHw

IMAG4352

The quadrant was bent to shape but I only managed to install it on the corresponding slot in the console after removing one of the four layers of the quadrant:

y4m2g5tKymIQsN0WrMKxn0NQFtF4FsTKSGk2ioZ8

IMAG4353

Next, the console and quadrant were glued to the cockpit's base:

y4mwOwVqqLQl0hcOXduvaOeq0aLcwmXtAvHDV1H3

IMAG4354

y4mmNDW4EGY447P_f-1AcJHQxgK56bNlbxFZxwQw

IMAG4355

To finish with, I removed from the fret and bent to shape the PE part that will be installed on the cockpit's edges and back:

y4mxzdgJ1Yy_CZb8M13u7GxIMZgvtSm_rKbaUJyv

IMAG4356

I'm a bit worried about the fit of all these metal parts when the time to close the fuselage comes...

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 9

Hi Jaime,

It's good to see you starting something(s) fresh :)

This is very good timing for me, a couple of months ago I bought this very K-4 kit. I also bought Marseille's F-4 by Fine Molds. I'm eager to start both so very interested to see how this goes together.

Also, the paint scheme looks quite difficult, so it will be good to see how it can be done!

Great work, the photo etch looks good.

I don't know if your interested but Master make some nice gun barrels and pitot for this kit; I used them on a Heller K-4 and they looked great :)

http://www.master-model.pl/sklep.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=9

Best regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your interest and it's great my build can be useful to you. I don't think the scheme is too difficult, as there's a limited amount of mottling (just on the tail fin). The rest are well delimited areas between the colours, which can be achieved with rolls of blu-tack.

Thanks for the link to the Master accessories. They look superb. Unfortunately, I'll have to finish the builds until the end of next week, because I'll be away on holidays in the first half of September. So, if I order the barrels and pitot tubes they might not get here in time.

You´re making it all look remarkably easy. Trust me, I do believe it´s not! V-P

Thanks VP! It really isn't easy but quite fiddly in places. For example, installing the handles on the rib on the starboard wall was a test to my patience, as the CA glue didn't seem to want to dry at all... On the other hand, it should be noted that working with PE should be done with eye protection at all times.

looking very nice Jaime, great job on the PE.

All the best Chris

Thanks Chris! Much appreciated!

Cheers

Jaime

Thank you, Stix, very kind! I have to say this kind of work demands a lot of patience and careful execution. Otherwise it's very easy to loose parts or to make a big mess with the CA glue.

Cheers

Jaime

Wow that's busy.....I think all that etch would give me a case of the screemin' heebie jeebies! :frantic:

PS - Now that they are available, does anyone know if Soviet records support Hartmann's claims.....TBH I've always been just a bit sceptical. :mellow:

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest, Sarge!

Regarding Hartmann's record, I read he stopped filing his claims around the 280th victory.

Cheers

Jaime

Wow that's busy.....I think all that etch would give me a case of the screemin' heebie jeebies! :frantic:

PS - Now that they are available, does anyone know if Soviet records support Hartmann's claims.....TBH I've always been just a bit sceptical. :mellow:

Some highly contested Russian scholarship has claimed only about 80 or so victories can be confirmed. Our own FalkeEins on the subject: http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2010/03/erich-hartman-352-victories-or-80.html

• Like 4

This lies at the very fringes of what might be considered one of the great 'mistakes' or 'untruths' of recent history.....A number of postwar recruits to various western armed forces had a great deal to gain by characterising the Soviet Union in an adverserial fashion and everything to lose should a real entente occur between east & west. :fuhrer:

This creature, more or less, invented the cold war (IMHO): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhard_Gehlen

Wonder why? :hmmm:

• Like 3