Night Fighter! 1/72 Bristol Blenheim MK.IVF

Hello BM's. Today I'm posting a model I completed at the beginning of the year. After seeing Tonyot's excellent Whitley (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007302-172nd-airfix-whitley-mkv-of-297-airborne-forces-sqn-raf-netheravon-1941/) I thought I'd get the Blenheim out of it's case to see if I could improve... I initially did a whitewash on black as I wanted to see how that turned out. It highlights the panel lines well but I'm not sure I'm a fan in terms of realism. I'm probably going to just add some chipping and exhaust discolouring to the underneath. What do you think? Do it? Leave it?

here's how she looks currently:

IMG_1414_zpsrfariito.jpg

IMG_1415_zpscdggmemu.jpg

IMG_1413_zpscwlaheab.jpg

IMG_1412_zps4jkxt9jr.jpg

IMG_1411_zps91ldtojt.jpg

IMG_1410_zpstxvx2cuw.jpg

IMG_1409_zpsxnaqilsw.jpg

IMG_1408_zpsluo1wjqn.jpg

IMG_1407_zpshdh4qza8.jpg

Comments welcome! :)

• Like 20

Looks good colour-wise, but I notice that you have both ailerons in a down position. This is incorrect. If one is down, the other should be raised a bit.

Chris

Thanks Chris, easily fixed and actually obvious now I think about it!

Very nice. Blenheim IV is my fave British twin. Strange as it may sound.

Superb build and finish and a great scheme.

nice one - looking great. Love these black birds.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you all! So does it need more weathering? Shall I leave her be?

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen

I like it a lot, but I would maybe tone it down some as it is stark. I used a grey in lieu of white on my night fighters.

I am really looking forward to doing the special hobby and airfix Blenheims in black... And maybe a Beaufighter too...

• Like 2

I like it a lot, but I would maybe tone it down some as it is stark. I used a grey in lieu of white on my night fighters.

I am really looking forward to doing the special hobby and airfix Blenheims in black... And maybe a Beaufighter too...

Yes it is stark. I think you're right and next time I'll use grey. Thanks, James.

• Like 1

Yes it is stark. I think you're right and next time I'll use grey. Thanks, James.

The photo is probably adding more contrast than in real life, so you probably have a pretty model on your hands either way.
  • Like 1

A terrific looking Blenheim and a great finish. I'm inclined to agree that a toning down of the wash to a grey might work better. The base white should work well for that though.

• Like 1

nice build of a nice plane , a little bit of weathering never goes amiss i suppose the trick is knowing when to stop

Thanks - agree. Most of my models have weathering applied, a little more than this one so I reckon I'll leave this as is.

For me please no more weathering.

It is perfect as it is.

Thanks Polo, as above I think you're right :)

The photo is probably adding more contrast than in real life, so you probably have a pretty model on your hands either way.

A terrific looking Blenheim and a great finish. I'm inclined to agree that a toning down of the wash to a grey might work better. The base white should work well for that though.

Yes although she has been sealed with a coat of matt varnish so I'll probably leave her alone.

Nice. The Blenheim looks good in that scheme. I'm inspired to have a crack at mine as a nightfighter now.

Glad I could be of some inspiration!

Very nice work, I really like that.

The white wash is unusually, I think it helps break up the scheme though.

• Like 1