Revell F-101 Voodoo 1/72

Hi all,

Here's my Revell F-101B Voodoo, Texas ANG. The kit was built OOB, except for the cockpit area taken from the Pavla Models set. Probably should have opened up the cockpit, and also done the yellow canopy framing, might consider doing this. Anyway, hope you like.

Cheers

John

voodoo_2_zps8af2dgid.jpg

voodoo_1_zpswmrfgclu.jpg

voodoo_3_zpshspki2if.jpg

voodoo_4_zps4n0hx5j7.jpg

• Like 38

Thanks Trev. For the panel lines, I always apply Humbrol Clear, then use the new humbrol enamel washes (50% black, 50% dark brown). Apply fairly generously over the entire model in the areas of the lines, then leave to dry for a couple of hours and apply again. Then leave the whole thing to dry for 24 hours (looks a mess at this point), before using a cotton cloth with enamel thinners to wipe away the excess. Also adds a light dirty look which I like.

John

• Like 2

Whoa!!!

Super crisp detail on the panel lines/rivets.

Seriously how did you do that!?

Great finish and detail on a 1/72 aircraft I don't know much about.

Thanks for posting

Here you go Troffa

IMAG0115_zpskcuoxfqb.jpg

I can't remember where I got this, but it may have been from Airbrushes.com - they certainly stock it. Much of the pigment had flocculated, and despite mixing/stirring, it still blocked my airbrush. In the end, I filtered some through a pair of my girlfriends tights (not while she had them on!) and it went on fine after that

• Like 1

Beautifully executed, again hard to believe it's 72nd.

I always assumed this kit to be the Matchbox molding, is that the case?

I don't think so. According to http://www.scalemodellingnow.com/hnaircraftkits-revell-f101b-voodoo, the moulding dates back to 1991 and is a re-release. The matchbox kit http://modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/mb101preview.htm looks to have far fewer parts than does the Revell. I also seem to recall that matchbox kits either had raised panel lines, or if they were engraved were so deep and wide you could almost abseil into them.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hello,John - My full compliments to you on a beautifully built and finished 'Voodoo'.I've recently completed the Monogram 1/48 version of this.Welcome to the 'Voodoo Club'! :D You have a fine tribute to this aircraft. ;) All the best,Paul.

Lovely voodoo indeed.I have this kit also and its a cracker of a model.Thinking of doing my bird as a canadian aircraft.

Superb job.

Richard.

I also seem to recall that matchbox kits either had raised panel lines, or if they were engraved were so deep and wide you could almost abseil into them.

Thanks John, I hadn't realised that there was a different tool 101B, to get the Matchbox one looking like that would require complete filling and rescribing!

71chally, on 21 Aug 2016 - 05:47 AM, said:

Beautifully executed, again hard to believe it's 72nd.

I always assumed this kit to be the Matchbox molding, is that the case?

It's definitely not the Matchbox. I've done both, and the Revell kit is years ahead of the Matchbox in terns of the level of detail. Here's what you get in the Matchbox kit, compared to what's in the Revell box. The Revell is basically a pantographed Monogram 1/48 kit.