Pocher Bugatti T50 Coupé de Ville: a resurrection

On 28/8/2017 at 0:04 PM, harveyb258 said:

Beautiful, solid and good-old mechanical engineering...I LOVE IT!!!! Keep up the good work Thierry!:thumbsup:

Cheers, H

Late, but honoured by this nice comment...

Thank you very much Harvey :yes:

Edited by CrazyCrank
OMG, the spelling !
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HI chaps....

I just come back from my holidays in North America, 2 weeks in Canada and a fews days in USA, Boston, MA...(A very nice place)

As someone know, I've just finished my "second model", I mean we have married my younger son on september 9th, with a Canadian young lady...

Am very proud of them !

I cannot resist the pleasure to share with you some pictures of them, before returning to work (my official one, and my hobbies, particularly my Bugatti's build)

37264839285_3317bf91ab_z.jpg

37122242941_61f1c61ea4_z.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

The last build updates in this thread are just crazy... what an amazingly great job! 

Thank you very much Roy, for your evaluation...Coming from you, I'm very touched...I'll try to continue to earn it :think:

On 17/09/2017 at 00:10, Roy vd M. said:

The last build updates in this thread are just crazy... what an amazingly great job! 

Indeed Thierry, your thread is really amazingly impressive. Congratulations for your son too...

Could you show us your whole Bugatti, even if it is not over. An overall picture would be welcome.

Can you recall me the name of the prestigious site you talked about me, on which your model is showed too, please? 

• Like 1

Thanks for this nice comment, Olivier

OK, I'll take overall pictures of my Bug'  as soon as possible and publish them on the thread.

You can visit "my" page on the "features exhibit gallery" on ModelMotorcars.com  : https://www.modelmotorcars.com/1932-bugatti-type-50t/

But, I have to warn you: the pictures are absolutely out of date since several months, regarding the numerous enhancements i've done on this model and  my skills development ...

You'll have to compare with the pictures posted in my thread day after day.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

After three months without any work on my model (because holidays, then wedding of my second son, then crazy office business, and a lot of family problems, particularly the premature birth of my first granddaughter, Emma), I've been able to spend a few hours today on my lathe to begin turning a nut to fix my spare wheels, and I notice this night that I gave it  exactly the same shape as PROPELLER has chosen for his one !

Below the ref. picture I take inspiration from:

38200714431_af772001c1_b.jpg

And below, the central nut....It remains for me to turn conical the two arms with ball ends,, and solder them on the nut.

24347518588_a4ff5cae55_b.jpg.   24347518488_49a40814b4_b.jpg

Stay tuned if you like, I hope to be able to progress faster now on this build :)

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 1

Machining the second arm of the spare wheels nut:

24401357958_b090ec1992_c.jpg

Second arm finished:

38217606796_a9567643ba_c.jpg

The Pocher part:

24401440828_cb3c7103b3_c.jpg

Three parts of the nut ready to solder (next week-end):

38240551402_f28edd7031_c.jpg

Dry fit of my brass scratched nut and comparison with the Pocher part:

24401358448_0a3e92e367_c.jpg

As we Frenchies say: "Y'a pas photo" (that we can approximatively translate by "without doubt")

Next steps for this nut:

- Threading M3 of the central part of the nut

- Soldering the three parts

- Scratch building a disk-shaped plate to mask the hole on the central part of the nut

- Fixing it

- Nickel electroplating

Stay tuned if you like and thanks for watching

• Like 2

Thanks a lot @kpnuts and @Dr. Fiat

No, I have not drilled the holes in the nut with an angle, but the slight bend of the arm has been planed and will be given, of course :)

As you can see on the dry fit's photos below:

38306980361_2556218b30_z.jpg

37591569934_b7056aa9bd_z.jpg

26533007469_77ac341753_z.jpg

Don't worry, be happy ^_^

• Like 3

Hi Gentlemen

The nut has been threaded M3,
The two arms, bended at a slight angle, has been soldered on the nut, and...

After checking the symmetry, the whole part has been filed (flashes of weld), polished and polished as a mirror, and the final part, that is not yet finished , has been installed on the spare wheels shaft

38304355686_2502c37094_z.jpg 38304355936_43d4dab4e1_z.jpg

38328506402_46dc4167f7_c.jpg 24487865458_a5a53c6752_c.jpg

37645055434_3bc6721ac7_c.jpg 38304355336_03f0dc52ee_c.jpg

It remains to do for this spare wheel's nut:

- Machining a small tapper (disk-shaped plate of 6 mm diameter, soldered on a M3 1 mm length shaft), with, if possible a grabbed Ettore Bugatti's logo,, another ambitious challenge :)

Bugatti-logo-4.jpg

- Nickel platting the final piece

I hope you enjoy, thanks for watching and stay tuned il you like :)

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Beau-ti-ful!!!:Tasty:  This is going to be stunning, Thierry. I like it very much indeed!

How do you plan to do the logo's...by hand or on the mill?

Cheers, H

Thanks Harvey

My letters must be 3 mm high.

I've already try the hand method, with a tracing point...doable but for a poor result at this scale :huh:

And with a milling machine and a engraving reamer, it will be easy...under the condition to work with a CNC milling machine (to form the curves of the letter "B")...and mine is not ! :worry:

So, I just bought (on a Swiss jewelry tools supplier's website)  a set of punches of ImpressArt brand, "NewPrint Alphabet", in capital letters:

The letter "E" will be punched vertically mirrored and will touch the lettre "B", to get an acceptable Bugatti's logo. 

Of course, a lot of tries shall be done, in order to acquire enough skills to make it correctly, but I think I'll achieve my goal B)

38367545021_50f8fb8eb5_z.jpg

Once the logo is embossed and after electroplating, I'll fill the letters with black (or blue, I've not yet decided) acrylic paint

Stay tuned if you like :)

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 2