Pocher Bugatti T50 Coupé de Ville: a resurrection

3 hours ago, rjfk2002 said:

Really stunning work.  How will the linkage to the wheels attach to steering arm?  Are you going to re-engineer that connection also?

Rich

Thank you, Rich for your kind words.

The nut at the bottom of the steering arm will be drilled and threaded on the inner side, to allow a bolt to join arm and the horizontal linkage  that come to the wheel.

This linkage isn't very realistic and is too short, so, it's possible that I would have to re-engineer it.

2 hours ago, RandyD said:

Beautiful work Thierry!!!!!!!!   Spent this evening going thru this build thread and really enjoyed it Sir.

Randy

Thanks a lot Randy ! Coming from you, I'm honoured :)

2 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

Who said "another world with a lathe?"
But you forgot the center hole!
Good job anyway...
Dan.

Damned :o  You're absolutely right, Dan

It doesn't matter, because it's very easy to add it at this step of my building, ,and it will be done !

Thanks for your advice :)

Yeah, @PROPELLER

Center hole drilled...

34372879756_f5f72c6242_c.jpg

I'll continue later my milling and drilling job on this steering arm and  the linkage that connects to it.

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 5

I'm not very productive actually, my few free time being monopolized by the logistics of my older son's wedding planning :)

Little progress today though.

The conical arm has been sanded and polished (It remained  ugly marks of a very bad turning work). Now it's better and  acceptable, if not satisfactory.

This arm has been secured on the cylindrical bolted part, using silver soldering.

The cylindrical part which sleeves on the steering shaft has been drilled 0.8 mm, then threaded M1 at its top.  

And through this hole, a 4 mm M1 bolt will take place and could be tighten on the shaft to secure the connection with the steering arm.

At the bottom of the arm, in the "nut", an identical hole has been drilled and threaded and a 8 mm M1 threaded rod has been screwed and then soldered.

This operation has created an axle which will allow to connect the horizontal linkage moving the wheels.

34493792885_640bf04b4a_z.jpg

33651504504_0955d77465_z.jpg

33651504014_ac1576dac2_z.jpg

34108774340_4e7a00fa52_z.jpg

Regarding this linkage, i'm going to scratchbuild a new one with brass rods and my lathe.

The parts provided by  Pocher are unrealistic, too thick and too short, and the real linkage is not horizontal but  contains two sections: the rear one, which climb, and the front one, which is horizontal.

That's all as for now

Stay tuned if you like

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 5

Very nicely executed, Thierry. Love the detailing added by this. 

Edited by Pouln
  • Like 1

Well...as told me another modeller: "Slow and steady wins the race"

So, slowly, but surely, I continue the scratch building of my steering linkage.

The Pocher parts of the linkage, compared with my reference photos, seem too thick:

- 4 mm for the connector (with the steering arm)

- 3 mm for the horizontal linkage wich join forward the connector  on the right front wheel.

So, according tho what I see on all my ref. photos, I've arbitrarily decided that:

- the connectors will be 3.0 mm

- the horizontal linkage will be 2.5 mm

First, I'd have to learn to master lathe turning techniques with different tools, in order to have an accurate usage, and get a smooth surface finish...

After several tries, I undertook to turn the first connector:

- Starting form a 4.12 mm gauge brass rod, 25 mm lenght

- Drilled it on the lathe 1.5 mm gauge over 5 mm

- Reduced the thickness to 3.00 mm over 10 mm

- And then, reduced diameter on the following 0.3 mm, to 3.5 mm

- Next, reduced diameter to 3 mm on the following 0.6 mm

- And last but not least, reduced diameter to 0.6 mm on the following 0.6 mm

Later, I put the part in the dividing head of my miiling machine, placed vertically on the crossing table, in order to drill  on it a 1 mm hole perpendicularly 

And I got this part:

34541831475_7c7428df16_z.jpg

34380820112_8bed9383a7_z.jpg

Compared with the Pocher's one:

33731013473_91e8045bd4_z.jpg.

This  connector  near the steering arm

34380873532_dc4044423e_z.jpg

Both with a M1 brass bolt

34156100930_17ae091d95_z.jpg

All parts connected

34156036700_30a3753c37_z.jpg

34380835582_732868ba6a_z.jpg

34500316006_52bd922c96_c.jpg

Put in place on the chassis

33731065673_b2a5a467fd_c.jpg

It remains to scratch built the front connector, using the same methods and measures, and the horizontal linkage

Later, all this stuff will be nickel plated

Stay tuned il you like, and thank you for watching.

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Very difficult to be everywhere !

Hereunder are the reasons of my great absence on the forum and lack of progress on my Bug's build !

My free time has been entirely monopolized since several weeks by my older son's wedding :)

I cannot resist  the pleasure to share with you my happyness and pride, and  present you my best "reduced" model, Matthieu (32 years old, 6 feet 4 inchess, for 253.5 pounds), the groom, and his fiancée Mélanie (no measurements Gentlemen):

34802674742_2b9615cfd1_c.jpg

34579248010_e17f1f30f8_c.jpg

34579241250_41e19b6043_c.jpg

And then two brothers together, Matthieu and Jérôme, my younger son, who lives in Montreal since 6 years:

34925852976_c1be6107c0_c.jpg

Champagne for everybody here :) :party:B)

• Like 2

A wonderful family to be proud of with a lovely new addition! Congratulations my friend, you have done well in life and these are your rewards.

I would love to chauffeur them to the Rivera for their honeymoon in my Phantom II Sedanca but the hood panels are not yet complete.  :crying:

When you raise a glass, think of us here, filling the room and toasting with you.

And when you awake and sober up, get back to this wonderful Bugatti! :whip:

• Like 2

Dear Thierry, congratulations for your son! You know I am me too running after time, that's why I can't take the time to look at other threads, yours in particular. But the few times I do, I am always very impressed by the quality of what you  show.

All the best

Olivier

38 minutes ago, PROPELLER said:

Congratulations Thierry, but I can't see any Bugatti...

Mine isn't ready to ride🙄

It's possible to rent an old Bugatti, but absolutely too much expansive.

(http://www.classic-rent.fr/FR-location-bugatti-m28.html)

I thought for a moment to do it, and finally abandonned this idea.

• 1 month later...

Hello Gentlemen...I'm back on the thread...

And, inspired by Dan (PROPELLER), i've modified a part of my car, the tachymeter's bevel gear.

Details of the "making of" later...

Hereunder the achieved piece

35018733013_7d175bb759_z.jpg

And at its place

35018138263_30f24b99dd_z.jpg

Thanks for watching

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 3

As promised, the "making of" of this tachymeter bevel gear....

The first try i'd built used styrene rod, and alu and brass micro-tubes.

The system was represented but not very realistic....

While I was working on other parts of my car, I damaged this system and, strongly inspiring me  with the oustanding work of @PROPELLER and with my reference photos, I've decided to re-build it.

I don't know if it would have been possible to machine it in one part, because I'm not a metal worker, so, I've machined it in two principal parts.

- the first one, which connect at the top of the gearing box with 3 bolts, has two shallow grooves

- the second one is connected on the first one

First part of the bevel gear:

Take a 6 mm brass rod, and on your lathe, reduce its diameter to 5.2 mm

35795708596_e2f0af8bb9_z.jpg

Cut a 4 mm length cylinder, and then reduce the diameter to 2,5 mm, you'll get this

35703932891_7dd9d3cbf3_z.jpg

Install the brass rod into the dividing head of your milling machine, this head placed horizontally on the crossing table and mill two grooves separated by 120° with a 3 mm diameter bit:

35673849462_8de7a7fe63_z.jpg

Then, drill over the top of this rod three 0.8 mm holes, separated by 120°, and with an 60° offset with the grooves, you'll obtain this:

35454826050_992e87d668_z.jpg

Then, thread the 3 holes with a 1 mm bit, 2 mm depth

And finally,screw 3 3 M1 bolts, 2 mm length in the holes, and you'll get that:

35843849455_cf0b94e656_z.jpg

Put this part in your lathe and cut it over the 2.5 mm , keeping 2 mm lenght on the 2.5 mm section

Next, place your dividing head vertically on the crossing table of your milling machine, and, with a 3 mm bit, cut a groove on the lateral side of thie piece, and you'll obtain that:

35803325086_15ae5690a4_z.jpg

Next, the second part :

Machined starting with a  5 mm brass rod, reduded to 3.8 mm, there is a  4 mm length 3.8mm part, and then, towards the front, a 2.2 mm section over 2.5 mm, and finally, a 1.2 mm section over 4 mm, this last section 0.8 mm drilled ont its center, and backwards there is a 2.5 mm section over 2 mm lenght. And you get this, the part on top right of this photo:

35843954535_1002372aba_z.jpg

Having two parts for one piece, you must merge these two parts:

- First I glued in place the second part in the groove I'd made on the first one, using fast Cyanoacrylate

- Then, I could take the two parts, correctly assembled, between the jaws of a clamp

35802320196_4306f37a0d_z.jpg

And finally, I could silver solder them, to get this piece:

35803800686_91d520f798_z.jpg

35018733013_7d175bb759_z.jpg

It requires a lot of sanding and polishing to be clear, but the result is there, after 10 hours of hard word 

Thanks for watching and hope you like it ^_^

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 3