1/72 F-51 Korean War Mustang Italeri

Howdy folks,

For some reason Mustangs used during the Korean War were designated F-51's not P-51's.

I don't know why but here's my version.

First time using Alclad. This one is polished aluminium.

Here's the pics

FullSizeRender_zps19zu3nz2.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpszfn4cfct.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps23nxcq61.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsd8vv3mli.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsxco2y6bb.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps5ltrd62o.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps34flgmgm.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpscwiy9hm0.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpszzfhr2s1.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps1eva281q.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 12

Nice bird - could easily pass as 1/48. like it.

And yes, what Reini Said - it's just a change in the designation - I thought it was P for Pursuit which became F for Fighter.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 3

Hi Bruce,

Great looking NMF! I'm also a big fan of Alclad but I still have to use their "high shine" colours. I see that the polished aluminium provides a stunning effect!

Which kit did you use and what did you think of building it?

Cheers

Jaime

Bruce, I think that the change from P for Pursuit to F for Fighter came about around the time the USAAF became the USAF, the F for "Foto" was dropped (eg F-5 for a recon P-38) and with the demise of the Martin Marauder and the end of the "Attack" category, the A-26 Invader became the Douglas B-26 Invader.

Confusing aint it, Trev.

PS, nice Mustang

• Like 1

The elephant in the room.

That front canopy fit onto the fuse is a shocker isn't it?

That's the standard Italeri fit thing on this kit and I made a pretty weak effort of fixing it :banghead:

In fact I made almost no attempt to fix it....as you can see :bangin:

Anyone else build the kit and find the same super bad fit???

Bruce, I think that the change from P for Pursuit to F for Fighter came about around the time the USAAF became the USAF, the F for "Foto" was dropped (eg F-5 for a recon P-38) and with the demise of the Martin Marauder and the end of the "Attack" category, the A-26 Invader became the Douglas B-26 Invader.

Confusing aint it, Trev.

PS, nice Mustang

Top stuff Trev.

Really appreciate some detail on the designations!

Much appreciated

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Great looking NMF! I'm also a big fan of Alclad but I still have to use their "high shine" colours. I see that the polished aluminium provides a stunning effect!

Which kit did you use and what did you think of building it?

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime

It's an Italeri kit.

Not a bad kit, nothing special.

Bad fit on the front end of the canopy but other than goes together quite well.

I think in the right hands the Alclad finish would probably be something special.

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

If I may venture to suggest, next time you do a Mustang, go for the Tamiya! It's not that expensive (about £12, less on eBay) and it's as close to a perfect kit as there is in 1/72 scale.

As a second choice, the Airfix doesn't look bad either and priced in line with the Italeri. Both Tamiya and Airfix have Korean War F-51 variants. Now that you've practiced your Alclad skills, you'll be much better rewarded!

Italeri's WW2 single engine fighter selection is not the greatest in the world to be honest. Major fit issues, trench-like panel lines, multiple inaccuracies.

• Like 1

If I may venture to suggest, next time you do a Mustang, go for the Tamiya! It's not that expensive (about £12, less on eBay) and it's as close to a perfect kit as there is in 1/72 scale.

As a second choice, the Airfix doesn't look bad either and priced in line with the Italeri. Both Tamiya and Airfix have Korean War F-51 variants. Now that you've practiced your Alclad skills, you'll be much better rewarded!

Italeri's WW2 single engine fighter selection is not the greatest in the world to be honest. Major fit issues, trench-like panel lines, multiple inaccuracies.

Thanks Phantome

Appreciate the feedback.

You're right probably better Mustangs out there but just grabbed this one for the obvious metal finish and keen to have a crack.

Italeri is funny...I built a FW190 Dora that I thought was shocking and ended up looking like a swan! LOL

Cheers and thanks

Bruce

The elephant in the room.

That front canopy fit onto the fuse is a shocker isn't it?

That's the standard Italeri fit thing on this kit and I made a pretty weak effort of fixing it :banghead:

In fact I made almost no attempt to fix it....as you can see :bangin:

Anyone else build the kit and find the same super bad fit???

yep, feel for you, built that kit a few times ...the windshield doesn't get any better. In fact given that the Airfix new-tool is not at all bad, there is no reason to wrestle with the Italeri 1/72 ever again to be honest....

this is one of mine..shaved, sanded, polished to within an inch of its life!

drew1.jpg

• Like 2

yep, feel for you, built that kit a few times ...the windshield doesn't get any better. In fact given that the Airfix new-tool is not at all bad, there is no reason to wrestle with the Italeri 1/72 ever again to be honest....

this is one of mine..shaved, sanded, polished to within an inch of its life!

drew1.jpg

So glad I'm not the only one!

I see your efforts made a huge difference so well done.

Might wait a while before I try another Mustang after being a bit scarred by the Italeri version LOL!

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Bruce

nice model you have finished! Hope you take it to our next SAPMA meeting.

I like the ALCLAD finish, I never used this paint and I'm afraid if I use it my results will not even be close to what you have achieved. This one looks really nice.

Cheers mate!

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Good morning Bruce

Nice paint work :goodjob: too bad for the front canopy (I remember having the same problem when I built this kit years ago ) next time you want to build a Mustang go for the Airfix one ..

I have built Italeri's Mk SpitVB , Mk IX , P51 A and P 51D Mustangs and I agree with Phantome "Italeri's WW2 single engine fighter selection is not the greatest in the world to be honest. Major fit issues, trench-like panel lines, multiple inaccuracies" ..

Rather then asking for new kits http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007476-italeri-asking-about-new-kits/Italeri should correct the issues in the kits they had already produced ..

Patrice

• 2 weeks later...