1/72 C-130 T-56 engines (Flightpath UK or Engines & Things)

ReccePhreak

I am working on a presentation model of a 1/72 C-130H. I hate the way the exhausts look on the Italeri kit. A search found that there are 2 aftermarket engine sets: from Engines & Things (72001) and from Flightpath UK (72103B). I have been unable to find pictures of either set. Does anybody have either set, and can supply a photo of the parts? I can get the Engines & Things T-56 set from Roll Models in the USA, but Engines & Things don't exactly have a reputation for "quality" products. Plus, Roll Models have a reputation for VERY slow service. Saying that, I am leaning towards getting the Flightpath UK set from Hannants. I would just like to see what I am ordering, before I spend the $$.

Larry, in Florida

I don't know about the 'Engines and Things' resin but the Flightpath are reported to not fit the Italeri nacelles (they are replacement nacelles BTW - the Italeri kit having the short T56-A9 nacelles of the C-130A). The best nacelles for an Allison T-56-A15 were by Heritage Models but (I belive they've gone out of production).

For the exhausts (jet pipes) the best available are by Oz Mods, available from Ebay.

• Like 2

Only Ozmods have replacement exhausts in their range. All other suppliers (Including the Attack Squadron set) only give you the replacement forward section of nacelle.

I am using the Ozmods exhausts on one of my builds... (these actually are pre-production exhausts, I think the current ones are a little more refined).

They look a lot better than the kit's supplied exhausts.

KC-130J_02_zps6a4bcc3c.jpg

Inboard is the kit exhaust, outboard the OzMods...

• Like 1

I don't know about the 'Engines and Things' resin but the Flightpath are reported to not fit the Italeri nacelles (they are replacement nacelles BTW - the Italeri kit having the short T56-A9 nacelles of the C-130A). The best nacelles for an Allison T-56-A15 were by Heritage Models but (I belive they've gone out of production).

For the exhausts (jet pipes) the best available are by Oz Mods, available from Ebay.

If you PM me I can discuss the supply of resin nacelles.

I don't think any replacement nacelles perfectly fit Italeri's wing. I have updated a couple of kits and the attachment point on the wing it slightly 'thicker' than the resin engines. I just file/sand down the kit side to match the engine's width. Also no aftermarket engine manufacturer allows for the staggered mounts on the Italeri wing. This is a mod you have to make yourself by cutting the inboard mount back to the leading edge for T-56-A15 and later engines or add a couple of mm to the outboard mount for the shorter nacelle types.

Oh and OzMods have their own website where you can purchase direct...

• Like 1

Only Ozmods have replacement exhausts in their range. All other suppliers (Including the Attack Squadron set) only give you the replacement forward section of nacelle.

I am using the Ozmods exhausts on one of my builds... (these actually are pre-production exhausts, I think the current ones are a little more refined).

They look a lot better than the kit's supplied exhausts.

KC-130J_02_zps6a4bcc3c.jpg

Inboard is the kit exhaust, outboard the OzMods...

Thanks for that photo. It explains a lot. Did you have to cut out an area on the kit's exhausts, in order to make the OzMods set fit?

I don't think any replacement nacelles perfectly fit Italeri's wing. I have updated a couple of kits and the attachment point on the wing it slightly 'thicker' than the resin engines. I just file/sand down the kit side to match the engine's width. Also no aftermarket engine manufacturer allows for the staggered mounts on the Italeri wing. This is a mod you have to make yourself by cutting the inboard mount back to the leading edge for T-56-A15 and later engines or add a couple of mm to the outboard mount for the shorter nacelle types.

Oh and OzMods have their own website where you can purchase direct...

Thanks for that info. The instructions for the Attack Squadron forward nacelle replacement mentions how much to cut back 2 of the kit's nacelles.

I just had my friend order a set of the OzMods exhausts from Victory Models. I was hoping to get them from rebelalpha on ebay, but he only had the J model exhausts, and I didn't want to take any chances.

Larry

If you PM me I can discuss the supply of resin nacelles.

So the Flightpath set is resin nacelles, to replace the Italeri kit's ones? I sure wish Flightpath had photos of their stuff.

I knew that the Italeri C-130 forward nacelles are close to the C-130A model, but the rear underside portion bears absolutely no resemblance to a C-130A version. Their AC-130A & DC-130A kits both need a TON of corrections, to make them look anything like the real thing.

I sure wish Revell of Germany would come out with a new tool 1/72 C-130 family of kits. :shrug:

Larry

Larry,

I don't think there is much difference between the E/H and J exhausts

From the OzMods website:

J model Exhausts

7212c-130jexhausts.jpg

E/H Exhausts

7213c-130ehexhausts.jpg

MIne are a bit rougher than those but are far better than the kit ones, Yes I did have to cut a hole to take the replacement exhausts.

As for the Flightpath engines here is an image of the E/H engines I have:

Flightpath on the left, Ron's Resin (Australian) on the right and the Italeri kit engines below. That is a 1 cm grid they are on.

C-130H_Enigines_zpsrzq1fqcw.jpg

Hope this gives you an idea of size differences.

• Like 1

I am working on a presentation model of a 1/72 C-130H. I hate the way the exhausts look on the Italeri kit. A search found that there are 2 aftermarket engine sets: from Engines & Things (72001) and from Flightpath UK (72103B). I have been unable to find pictures of either set. Does anybody have either set, and can supply a photo of the parts? I can get the Engines & Things T-56 set from Roll Models in the USA, but Engines & Things don't exactly have a reputation for "quality" products. Plus, Roll Models have a reputation for VERY slow service. Saying that, I am leaning towards getting the Flightpath UK set from Hannants. I would just like to see what I am ordering, before I spend the $$.

Larry, in Florida

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17930&cat=282&page=1

Link to the Flightpath web site - with photos

David Parkins

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

Larry,

I don't think there is much difference between the E/H and J exhausts

From the OzMods website:

J model Exhausts

7212c-130jexhausts.jpg

E/H Exhausts

7213c-130ehexhausts.jpg

MIne are a bit rougher than those but are far better than the kit ones, Yes I did have to cut a hole to take the replacement exhausts.

As for the Flightpath engines here is an image of the E/H engines I have:

Flightpath on the left, Ron's Resin (Australian) on the right and the Italeri kit engines below. That is a 1 cm grid they are on.

C-130H_Enigines_zpsrzq1fqcw.jpg

Hope this gives you an idea of size differences.

Thanks for the photos. It looks like the OzMods C-130J exhausts are a bit longer than the C-130E/H ones, but that's only on the internal "tube", not the actual "shroud" that you see. So, I could have used the cheaper (online) J model set. I'll remember that, the next time I order some. I only have a few more 1/72 C-130 kits left, most are the 1/48 ones.

Based on your photos of the Flightpath nacelles, it looks like I may have a set in my aftermarket stash. I can't remember where I got them, probably at a local model contest vendor table. Too bad they don't do a correction for the rear of the nacelle/ exhaust shroud.

Larry

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17930&cat=282&page=1

Link to the Flightpath web site - with photos

David Parkins

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

Thanks for that link. It looks like I may have a set of your nacelles in my stash already. I probably picked them up at a local model contest awhile back. Nice looking set.

Larry

The heritage Aviation C-130 nacelles are still listed here (http://www.kitsforcash.com/172-conversions-13-c.asp) and I believe they were a drop-in replacement for the Airfix/Italeri kit. Scroll down for the listing along with a photo. Airfix re-popped the Italeri C-130E/H plastic under their own label.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

The heritage Aviation C-130 nacelles are still listed here (http://www.kitsforcash.com/172-conversions-13-c.asp) and I believe they were a drop-in replacement for the Airfix/Italeri kit. Scroll down for the listing along with a photo. Airfix re-popped the Italeri C-130E/H plastic under their own label.

Scott

Thanks for that info. I have the front nacelles all sorted. I still am working on the rear exhaust portion of the nacelles which, except for the OzMods exhaust tubes, are not really covered by any aftermarket company. The closest thing to a correction, is the rear nacelle parts in the Eduard PE set, which extends the C-130E/H models, and adds a representation of the strengthening ribs. I am scratch-building my corrections.

Larry

You also realise that you'll have to correct the aux. fuel tanks on the wing, or rather, their pylons. The tanks should hang so they are parallel to the ground. I'll have to look at my unmade kit, but I seem to recall from previous builds, the kit pylons left the tanks with a distinct 'tail-down' attitude.

Scott

You also realise that you'll have to correct the aux. fuel tanks on the wing, or rather, their pylons. The tanks should hang so they are parallel to the ground. I'll have to look at my unmade kit, but I seem to recall from previous builds, the kit pylons left the tanks with a distinct 'tail-down' attitude.

Scott

EDIT:

I removed the tanks from the wings and sanded them down at the rear of the pylons. I haven't glued them back to the wings, but they do look better.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2016 at 9:45 PM, Scooby said:

Does anyone know how any of these engines fit the 1/72 Esci kit?

Thanks!

I haven't seen an ESCI C-130 kit in YEARS, so I can't comment on the replacement engines' fit on it.

One thing I do remember liking about the kit was how the nose top front piece was molded in clear plastic, so you didn't have to worry about the windows fitting, or having to putty them.

Larry 

I am doing a KC-130H kitbash with an ESCI, Italeri, scratchbuilt and resin parts with a sprinkling of japanese metal origami torture bits. Argentine Air Force May 5th 1982.

There's one thing I haven't figured out yet: the collection of piped opening in the cargo ramp - both on the outside and (especially) on the inside! 😛

On 2016-10-04 at 8:58 AM, Ascoteer said:

As an ex Herc driver, my opinion of the Esci kit is unprintable!

As an ex-Herc fixer I wish Hasegawa or Tamiya would tool a new tool Hercules in 1/72. There are no great kits of the Hercules.

Airfix or Revel Germany would produce a great kit too.

10 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

Indeed. You might wish to follow my mega thread on building 5 (or maybe 6) Alberts. ;)

Where might that post be? I tried to search for it, but came up blank. :unsure:

Larry

On 10/5/2016 at 9:08 PM, TrojanThunder said:

Here it is Larry 'An Albert's Tale...'

Not obvious by its title :D

Thanks for that link.

WOW! 45 pages! 

Unfortunately, all the photos are gone.

I guess I will NOT be busy for awhile. :wall:

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak