new aircraft for the air force

junglierating

Out of interest does anybody know how much choice does the military i.e. all three services have in the contractors' choice of aircraft whether it be helicopters at Shawbury, multi-engine trainers such as the Phenoms or the Texan T6s etc?

I'm sure they'll be criteria of course in terms of the output required such as number of students, standard of training achieved etc but are there requirements around how such standards are reached and the equipment used?

• Like 1

Hmm. Pretty little jet but I'm not sure how good it will be for teaching assymetric flight.

Surely all the modern multi-engined aircraft - P-8, Voyager, A400M - have a computer to take care of assymetric thrust cases. Isn't the crew just there to monitor what the systems do?.....

Peter

• Like 1

Surely all the modern multi-engined aircraft - P-8, Voyager, A400M - have a computer to take care of assymetric thrust cases. Isn't the crew just there to monitor what the systems do?.....

Peter

Just as well we don't have any legacy multi engine types any more, like the Sentry, Rivet Joint, C-130, King Air (Shadow), 146 or Defender.

Oh, wait a sec... :)

• Like 3

Pretty aircraft and nice scheme - is it me or is the blue a little lighter than expected? Not the usual dark blue we have...

It looked the right colour in the hanger guv. Must be a trick of the light. It'll be fine once you put a few miles on it, an worst case, we can always scuff it up a bit, no-one will notice.

• Like 2

I'm intrigued by the Phenom purely for the same reasons alluded to be Ascoteer. After all it's far easier to train on an aeroplane that is technically more complex (in some ways) to operate than a later type. Purely from a pure Multis skill point of view, a basic trainer along the lines of a DA42 would have been more suited to teach multi-engine handing before maybe moving onto a more pointy type for any applied flying.

Then again, we're also getting a rocket ship for EFT, sans bang seats (good luck opening the canopy to bail out) and oxygen...

It looked the right colour in the hanger guv. Must be a trick of the light. It'll be fine once you put a few miles on it, an worst case, we can always scuff it up a bit, no-one will notice.

Thanks for the info...must be great for morale to see some new shiny stuff coming through

• Like 1

Peter

Well aye if you want mere button pushers who will be damn all use when the excrement hits the extraction unit (yeah that worked well for Air France didn't it? Not!), because computer controlled systems on aircraft (especially Airbus ones) have never been known to go wrong. Right?

Oh, hang on...

But if you want Service Pilots with handling skills and Airmanship...

Also, Sim assymetric flying is also a way of putting a stude under pressure to see how he/she reacts.

• Like 2

Looks like a modernised baby HS 125 to me,......pretty boring too. Pity Britain cannot produce its own training aircraft anymore,......apart from the Hawk of course,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

The 125 was a cracking jet, but I wouldn't have wanted to use it in the AFTS role.

The other problem I foresee with using the Phenom over the King Air is going to be performance related given that 45R Sqn 'studes' these days have not done BFTS on the Tucano but arrive directly from EFTS with only some 60 hrs on the Grob Tutor.

Well aye if you want mere button pushers who will be damn all use when the excrement hits the extraction unit (yeah that worked well for Air France didn't it? Not!), because computer controlled systems on aircraft (especially Airbus ones) have never been known to go wrong. Right?

Oh, hang on...

But if you want Service Pilots with handling skills and Airmanship...

Hmmm.... Didn't the Voyager recover from the allegedly-crew-induced nose over because of the flight envelope protection system and not from the application of 'handling skills and airmanship'? .... Guess that makes it evens :-)

Peter

Hmmm.... Didn't the Voyager recover from the allegedly-crew-induced nose over because of the flight envelope protection system and not from the application of 'handling skills and airmanship'? .... Guess that makes it evens :-)

Peter

The word is that this was caused by the pilot putting his camera down and then pulling his chair forward,.....causing the camera to jam the controls forward!!! There have been a raft of PTSD claims by passengers,......... I dare say that it was scary but it sounds like a few people are trying to work their ticket over this one!!

Cheers

Tony

Pretty aircraft and nice scheme - is it me or is the blue a little lighter than expected? Not the usual dark blue we have...

Or.....

Paint it the correct shade of blue then take all your publicity shots under different lighting environments. You'll keep the on-line aviation modelling community occupied for years.

• Like 2