Malta Defender Spitfire EP706 1/72

Slow progress this week partly because I was back to work full-time and partly due to some dithering over the cockpit resin - can't decide whether or not I should use it in the Revell Spitfire I'm also building.

Splashed a bit of paint on the pointy bits and there's been a bit more sanding. Nothing really worth photographing yet, I'll put sone up when I finally sort the cockpit out.

Forgot to add the PE never turned up (I've been refunded so no drama) - I've decided to press on without it

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 1

I'm lazy, so I'd skip the cockpit resin -- given the thick canopy on the Airfix Vb, it might not be seen to advantage in any case.

That's good enough for me, the pilot's going to obscure the rest of the cockpit non-detail anyway

• Like 1

Some evidence of progress. All a bit messy at the moment, some experimental gel pen highlighting and Nuln Oil "weathering" in the undercarriage hole and I'm not sure how to describe the cockpit painting - some stuff sloshed about really. As I'm going to go with pilot and closed canopy there won't be much to see anyway.

spitstart

Edited by Avereda
Photo
  • Like 2

Another weekend update. Slightly further down the road and the fuselage and wings are together. The cockpit can load from underneath so once that's in then the we'll have something looking like a Spitfire. Poor light today so the photo's a bit ordinary.

DCD372A7-0A93-4B53-B5D1-CDE123CC8386_zps

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Resin on and filling begun. Still a bit of work to be done on the wings as the dihedral was a bit excessive - didn't factor on the pliability of the Airfix plastic. Anyhow, all part of the fun - here's some photos

spitunderspitwing

Edited by Avereda
Photo
  • Like 4

Pondering the wing problem again this morning and I think they need a rejig. The plan is to add a fillet of plastic at the joint with the fuselage and reglue - there was a very large gap initially and the pressure from adding the resin has forced the wings upwards.

If this doesn't work there will be a short intermission containing intemperate language and grumpy reflection, after which I'll think up Plan B.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A good deal of filling, sanding and priming later and I've finally got some colour involved

kainunderblue

Only the underside though, still at the grey stage up top

spitprime

Edited by Avereda
Photo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to get the middle stone on now, I used Xtracrylix again (I might be warming to them now). Before the Dark Earth goes on I'd like to ponder* the blue/grey over painting again. I don't think the EDSG Xtracrylix I bought for this purpose will work as it looks a bit grim until you get the fourth coat at which point it seems to spring into life. I need something that will look OK applied with a paintbrush in a couple of thin coats. Possibilities in my head so far are - Humbrol PRU Blue enamel, appropriately thinned or a mix of artists oils over Klear. My local model shops (Salisbury is blessed with two plus a Games Workshop) stock Humbrol, Revell, Tamiya and Model Master paints so any suggestions from these ranges would be welcome.

Here's a shot of progress so far

spitmidearth

*by ponder I mean wait until somebody tells me what to do

Edited by Avereda
Photo
  • Like 1

Four coats of Dark Earth later, will rub down with some micro mesh and then go for the overpainting - possibly Tamiya XF-17 which I picked up today but not decided for sure yet

spitpaint

Edited by Avereda
Photo
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Still plodding along. Decals on - the white on the underwing roundels turned to be transparent, not sure that will be rectifiable. Some Malta style over painting was added with some Tamiya paint (XF-17). Some weathering has been added with Tamiya Smoke and oils. Fiddly bits to be added yet which is usually the point where it starts to unravel.

31203928900_049354dfcc_b.jpg

Edited by Avereda
Paint ID
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

And done, sort of. I missed the morning light for photos and have since been out for Christmas cocktails - a recent tradition in our house. I'm not convinced I should infect the splendid GB gallery with this cack-handed effort but here's proof that I made the finishing line. I might be able to dig out better photos on my phone but it's probably all downhill here post-cocktail hour

31471586690_e1fe70de59_b.jpg

• Like 1

Nice going Avereda, she looks more than worthy of a place in the gallery. Enjoy your Christmas cocktails, merry Christmas to you and your family.