colour matches for RAF Hudsons/Venturas/Bostons

cherisy

Can anyone tell me how close the paint colours of the Lend lease Hudsons/Venturas etc were to the standard RAF schemes of the period?. I read somewhere that the paint in the US was matched as close as possible but was not exactly the same.

So what was the nearest match to Dark earth/Green/Sky?

• Like 1

I'm going to say decently close. At least as close or closer than the colours from different manufacturers can be. Just like model paints, batches vary, brands vary in their renditions of certain colours.

USA equivalents of colours from the many countries which placed orders for aircraft in the turmoil following events of late 1939 will have been probably not been top priority. Hudsons were ordered by RAF & RAAF at the same time, (our Mk.I is the equivalent of RAF Mk.IV) we followed British camo conventions and patterns so it's doubtful the smaller order was catered for colours.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Grant

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me how close the paint colours of the Lend lease Hudsons/Venturas etc were to the standard RAF schemes of the period?. I read somewhere that the paint in the US was matched as close as possible but was not exactly the same.

So what was the nearest match to Dark earth/Green/Sky?

The RNZAF received in 1942 Hudsons diverted from British Stock ex USA.

Have a look at these Hudson remains (ex RNZAF) note the internal colours (they are not US Interior Green/Bronze Green Dull/

Dark Green etc), which denotes to me the US manufacturers listened to and painted accordingly to British and

Commonwealth instructions. Note also the exterior colours.

HudsonWreck.jpg

Hudsomremains.jpg

HudsonInterior2.jpg

Hudsoncockpit1-1.jpg

(Photo permissions of NR Mines)

This link is taken from a DuPont paint card posted by Nick Millman some many threads ago (I'm not advocating Lockheed used DuPont, but the colours are same/similar) The colour is Cockpit Light Green.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/hkins/Alans%20Planes/DUPONTLIGHTGREEN71036_zps050f0b16.jpg

Exterior colours for Hudsons ranged from Dk Earth/Dk Green upper/Aluminium lower to Dk Earth/Dk Green Uppers/Sky (aka Duck Egg Blue) lowers (RNZAF Hudsons were received in these latter colours). Finding colours in any current paint manufacuter will be a little more difficult - Depnds on what is available to your location.

RNZAF also received Lockheed Venturas Lend Lease circa mid 1943 - this would indicate that the colours would be US colours interior/exterior Yes? Check out these photos on this link of a Ventura preserved at MOTAT here in Auckland Not a spec of US Interior Green in sight. Even more indication that US aircraft manufacturers could even under Lend Lease, paint to RAF/Commonwealth requirements.

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/21969/ventura-interior

Exterior wise RNZAF Venturas operated in the SWPA so painted for that theatre, so may vary from what you are after?

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Here are a couple of pictures of the RAAF Boston DU-J A28-8 (RAF serial AL907), a Douglas built DB-7B Boston III, Douglas and Boeing used two different paint manufactures Fuller for Douglas and DuPont for Boeing, slight colour difference but with a bit of operational fading indiscernible. very close to the colours prescribed by the RAF.

A28-8.jpg

DSC00731.jpg

Hi

extract from original douglas boston manual dated 6-5-42, that i have in my collection.

interior zinc chromate primer then yellow green primer

inside of bombay doors duck egg blue to 12" above hinges

raf camo paints are all listed as fuller brand

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

Before Lend Lease all of the US aircraft in RAF service were paid for and thus the manufacturer was to follow the instructions of the customer for paint finish etc, so the interior and exterior colours were as close as possible to the colours being applied onto UK built aircraft.

Of course after Lend Lease was introduced,.....the US military paid for the aircraft and so their painting needs took precedence!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Regarding Lockheed interior colours. The Lodestar at Waterkloof air Museum at Pretoria has the interior of the wheel bays and wing structure outboard of those in dark green which is very close to Revell No.65. The wheel bay is not a solid colour, The bay was sprayed green over bare metal and quickly done since there are areas that are only misted over and in certain places there are bare metal 'shadows' where no paint ever touch at all due to the angle at which the paint hit the surfaces. The wing structure was better coated, probably because the sprayer could get at the job better. I have a photograph of the wing and paint patch. If interested, I cannot post but could send to anyone that can.

• Like 1

The RNZAF received in 1942 Hudsons diverted from British Stock ex USA.

Have a look at these Hudson remains (ex RNZAF) note the internal colours (they are not US Interior Green/Bronze Green Dull/

Dark Green etc), which denotes to me the US manufacturers listened to and painted accordingly to British and

Commonwealth instructions. Note also the exterior colours.

HudsonWreck.jpg

Hudsomremains.jpg

HudsonInterior2.jpg

Hudsoncockpit1-1.jpg

(Photo permissions of NR Mines)

This link is taken from a DuPont paint card posted by Nick Millman some many threads ago (I'm not advocating Lockheed used DuPont, but the colours are same/similar) The colour is Cockpit Light Green.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/hkins/Alans%20Planes/DUPONTLIGHTGREEN71036_zps050f0b16.jpg

Exterior colours for Hudsons ranged from Dk Earth/Dk Green upper/Aluminium lower to Dk Earth/Dk Green Uppers/Sky (aka Duck Egg Blue) lowers (RNZAF Hudsons were received in these latter colours). Finding colours in any current paint manufacuter will be a little more difficult - Depnds on what is available to your location.

RNZAF also received Lockheed Venturas Lend Lease circa mid 1943 - this would indicate that the colours would be US colours interior/exterior Yes? Check out these photos on this link of a Ventura preserved at MOTAT here in Auckland Not a spec of US Interior Green in sight. Even more indication that US aircraft manufacturers could even under Lend Lease, paint to RAF/Commonwealth requirements.

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/21969/ventura-interior

Exterior wise RNZAF Venturas operated in the SWPA so painted for that theatre, so may vary from what you are after?

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

Thats top Gen many thanks. I am looking at an RAF version circa late 1940 so will opt for Dark earth/Dark green/aluminium. The interior of those shots looks pretty much spot on for British interior green

The interior of the RNZAF Hudson looks almost like Bronze Green or Dull Dark Green to me. :shrug:

Me too. Keeping in mind the dangers of looking at photographs, etc, the interior colour whilst looking a bit washed out has a bluish quality no examples of RAF Interior Grey Green I've seen have ever had.