EZ Line woes

Beardie

Well I have just discovered something. I'm using John Adams elastic rigging line. If you don't get a reasonable amount of tension on it, it sags when you spray it. Looks like I will have to re do a couple of wires.

Well I have just discovered something. I'm using John Adams elastic rigging line. If you don't get a reasonable amount of tension on it, it sags when you spray it. Looks like I will have to re do a couple of wires.

I use the same stuff, but before use I unroll enough to stretch from floor to ceiling with the weight of a clothes peg on it, and hang it from the top of a shelf. Then I run a brush loaded with Modelmaster Metalizer Steel down it and leave it to dry for a day. I then roll it back up and use it straight away. No problems (except getting hold of the paint in Scotland). Doesn't seem to affect the thread or how well the glue holds it, and doesn't easily come off.

Paul.

Right... here is an easy method....

Stretch some sprue to about the same diameter as the line.

Touch the end of the sprue (you did cut it so you have "an aplicator" end) in super glue.

Pick up the end of the line.

Allow to dry.

Cut the sprue so that there is about 1/2- 2mm attached to the line.

Drill small hole where line is going to go.

Drop (pop) the small end of line with sprue into hole and glue.... walk away for 5 minutes.

Do the same to the other end so that you have some tension in the line.

Job done.

HTH

Dick

Well, when it's dried, it shrinks again, so panic over. Just looked a Prime Portal for the S6B, and they are not flying wires, it's thin rod, some of it in aerofoil section. .7mm drill and .7mm plastic rod. Solves that problem. The Macchi is already knitted.

Here is the link to the polyamide tubing.

For the size required, the inside diameter of the tube will have to take the thickness of your rigging wire or fishing line etc.

Not too expensive for a single length and it is delivered quickly.

Hope this link works ok?

https://amzn.com/B003TLNL5I

• 3 weeks later...

Well, when it's dried, it shrinks again, so panic over. Just looked a Prime Portal for the S6B, and they are not flying wires, it's thin rod, some of it in aerofoil section. .7mm drill and .7mm plastic rod. Solves that problem. The Macchi is already knitted.

I rigged an S6B (Frog 1/72) with streamlined struts by creating a jig (an old rectangular sprue) to glue two strands of monofilament fishing line together with superglue, then painting. Cut the lengths required slightly long, install and tauten with heat (a joss stick). Worked perfectly.

I use a method similar to Selwyn except I dip the rigging wire, Aeroclub invisible thread, into ordinary polystyrene cement. Because it doesn't set quickly it gives me plenty of maneouvring time to hit the hole. It is then left for half an hour if I'm in hurry or all night otherwise before I apply a small blob of CA gel on the end of a cocktail stick into the hole end which fills it. Then. depending on the method selected for the kit the thread continues to holes drilled through the wings or tied around the struts which have had a nick sawed into the ends to receive the thread which is secured with a dab of liquid CA.

Regards, Steve

I have been toying with the idea of making up 'ready made' rigging lines with some sort of simulated turnbuckles already glued to the ends which would double as positive mountings to glue into the wings. Being stretchy, as long as it is a bit shorter than the gap it is to span then it doesn't have to be that accurate and just grab the end and CA it into pre-drilled holes. Need to think of a suitable material for the turnbuckles.

• Like 1

I have been toying with the idea of making up 'ready made' rigging lines with some sort of simulated turnbuckles already glued to the ends which would double as positive mountings to glue into the wings. Being stretchy, as long as it is a bit shorter than the gap it is to span then it doesn't have to be that accurate and just grab the end and CA it into pre-drilled holes. Need to think of a suitable material for the turnbuckles.

:hmmm: Interesting...

• 1 month later...

Guys, looking to build my first WWI biplane so was reading all this with interest.

One product I've seen locally is AMMO elastic rigging line in varying thicknesses but can't find any reviews to allow me to judge it. As I have not rigged a model before l would have no basis for coparison either.

Have any of you chaps used it?

Cheers

Les

I wasn't aware of Ammo elastic rigging line but it is probably the same stuff as EZLine (Elastane, spandex or Lycra). I think it works out a little more expensive than EZLine which is £13.09 for 30.5metres plus post from Wetaworkshopcompared to £3.77 for two metres on the Mig site so that would be £57.49 for the same amount of line as you get with EZLine.