1/350 HMS Illustrious (Airfix + Eduard PE)

Hi, I'm Rob,

Thought I would make a start at posting. Hopefully I will be able to work out how to attach photos.

I made a start several months ago now, after some research. Several posts on here about Lusty lead me to Britmodeller.

This is the first ship I have made that uses PE and the first ship in 20 years. Enjoying it so far and the quality of builds on here by others is inspirational.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Hi Rob.

This is looking really good. Are you using a bending tool because those "kinks" in the railings are very neat? The emblem on the funnel looks great and almost a shame to paint it.

cheers

Guy

​Hi all,

Thanks all for comments, encourages me to do a bit more.

​Rollsroyce, I tried it using my 'hold 'n' fold' but found it easier to just use flats wide pliers and tweezers. The curve in the railings was done using the shaft of a drill bit.

​Hope to post a few more picks of progress o the hull later.

​cheers, and thanks for the encouragement,

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob.

Nice start and very nice pictures, some comment on them might be usfull as the first picture made me look twice before realising what it was.

As for tools, your right, some things work better than others, I to have the hold and fold, but in most cases do as you do.

:popcorn:

foxy :coolio:

• Like 1

Also battling with this at the moment (amongst others as always!). Using the Eduard etch but have the White Ensign set too. Find the folding instructions for the rails are somewhat difficult to understand in places, well probably more difficult to see, but figure its all so small you cant see and nobody will know anyway haha! well, except the BM experts obviously.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree about the rail bending instructions. The real head-scratcher is the one on the bridge roof, which took me ages to get right (see current stalled Ark Royal build).

If you haven't already, I highly recommend getting a set of Jecobin plans; they are brilliant for working out exactly what's going on in places where photos are thin on the ground - like the catwalks, bridge roof, Alaskan Highway etc.

• Like 1

Hi. Thanks for the comments. Sorry about the lack of comments. Got excited at working it out. Hope to post some more progress now hull sides are on.

I just used CA from a 3 tubes for a pound packet.

I might get those Jecobin plans. Looked them up last night. Especially as some parts are unclear from photographs like the underneath of the ski ramp which has some handrail type wires along it.

cheers

Rob

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, nope! I'm afraid progress stopped in November as I had some other projects to complete around the house. I hope to get it underway again within a week. My aim is to finish her by Sept! 

Sadly the prototype has gone for scrap now. A sad loss to the nation and a wasted opportunity of a great tourist attraction in my view. 

Here's to a great year of modelling. :-) 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...