WARNING Airbrush compressor should know

Rodders154

WARNING

Whilst reading WKENNERLEY's post on his compressor woe's http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006510-compressor-tank-blown-has-anyone-got-a-spare-please/ I have the same compressor and I thought that /i would drain off my tank to stop the same happeng to me and I place a cup under the drain plug (didnt know it had one until I looked and it still had a little pressure (so little it didnt read on the gauge) and about 1/4 pint of brown rusty water shot out and has gone all over the carpet.

Pease drain the tank outside my carpet is now ruined I did not expect so much water Be aware when you do yours. I drain the little water trap on the front after every use but there is now brown gunge in the water trap as well.

Be careful I would imagine this applies to all compressors that have a tank Maybe I should have known to drain the tank but I didnt and I bet others dont as well.

Rodders

DP6118-airbrush-compressor-gun-set.jpg

• Like 2

Yup it is a standard thing. The moisture in the air drops out when the air is pressurised in the tank. You should really check and drain weekly if you are using the compressor a lot, or if you are working in an area with high humidity. The moisture trap on the regulator is only really to try and drop out moisture from recently pressurised air that hasn't had a chance to drop out in the tank. It's not an easy job to prevent rust inside the tank as just draining it is not going to dry out the inside of the tank. If the tank was thin enough to rust through (unless it has been operating for years) I would say that it is a bit on the thin side. Not really a problem with these relatively low pressure/cheap compressors I suppose but I would rather have a compressor with a storage tank made of some nice thick steel.