ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

46 minutes ago, Fritag said:

BTW - wot's that metal block incorporating a ruler type gizmo at the top of the photo?  Some sort of measuring/cutting/bending thing?

It's one of those tools that spends a high proportion of its time sitting in a drawer - but is completely invaluable when you cone to need it.  It's an Albion Alloys thing called something like "cut to lengty measuring tool", or similar.   I was lucky enough to inherit it from my neighbour (he of Vixen fame), and its sole purpose is cutting sections of tube / rod that are exactly the same length - vital if you're building any kind of structure from it.  [Yes, I have heard of rulers, but this is a whole heap easier, especially when you're dealing with really thin stuff that us hard to measure accurately].

I have only ever seen one other in the flesh - at a show, when the price quoted was utterly eye-watering, so had Sandy not given it to me I doubt I'd have it. And this is its first outing since Ark Royal soldered aerial days.  But I'm very glad I do!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It's one of those tools that spends a high proportion of its time sitting in a drawer - but is completely invaluable when you cone to need it.  It's an Albion Alloys thing called something like "cut to lengty measuring tool", or similar.   I was lucky enough to inherit it from my neighbour (he of Vixen fame), and its sole purpose is cutting sections of tube / rod that are exactly the same length - vital if you're building any kind of structure from it.  [Yes, I have heard of rulers, but this is a whole heap easier, especially when you're dealing with really thin stuff that us hard to measure accurately].

I have only ever seen one other in the flesh - at a show, when the price quoted was utterly eye-watering, so had Sandy not given it to me I doubt I'd have it. And this is its first outing since Ark Royal soldered aerial days.  But I'm very glad I do!

The machine is called "The Cutter" its quite expensive on the face of it but when one takes into account the wastage of material alone it prevents, it very soon pays for itself. That of course is aside from it's original intention of removing human error from the measuring and cutting process using a traditional ruler.

Martian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Where's Ced when you need him?

A most unreliable creature these days, I think he must be ill!

Martian

• Like 1

I think Ced's away wondering if he dare transpose "...hyperbole in the piping department..." into piperbole

but  I suspect he has discarded it with the disdain it well deserves

;)

So, as I suffer less from shame I'll give it a whirl

yippekiyay cowboy

• Like 3

I still expect to see this finished at the Boscombe Down show on 6th August.

Martian the Unreasonably Demanding 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I still expect to see this finished at the Boscombe Down show on 6th August.

Martian the Unreasonably Demanding 

I wouldn't bet your house on it!

• Like 2

82 pages on this build Crips, that has to be some kinfd of record. That is unless you are looking at record collection then they all are 12 in diameter with a small hole in the middle...

Colin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

That is unless you are looking at record collection then they all are 12 in diameter with a small hole in the middle...

Unless you collect 45's. But they still have a hole in the middle. Just like Polo's.

Sorry Crisp, the big boy made me do it.

Keith

• Like 2

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 23:57, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I wouldn't bet your house on it!

As we rent our house, that won't wash. Work faster! :whip:

Martian the Uncompromising

PS: I am happy to bet your house on it if that helps?

• Like 1

Its not finished 'til the Inspector signs and stamps your Op sheet. All rivets tails checked for correct reaction shape and length and heads for condition ?

Don't want to see any "fried eggs" !

I'd stamp it off in an eye blink :yes: then claim the 5th at the board of inquiry :talktothehand:

As for record collection..How about 300 ish from sunny  Motown ?

• Like 2

Still progressing - pretty close to done on the starboard side as well.  Probably one more day will do it (though don't get too excited; I haven't even started the underside yet!).

34523910340_e3a3d7ac05_c.jpg

34779211441_a24b67831d_c.jpg

34779211011_e1565b10cd_c.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 10

Lovely absorbing  rectilinear stuff. It doesn't matter a whit  that I don't notice which are the new lines, just so long as you do.:D

Tony

• Like 1

I've decided

My HC4 isnt getting rivets, a few runs with the rivet wheel will have to suffice

No way could even my analistic attention to minutiae generate this much rivettery

Luckily this has never been a competition, if it had been I yield

sir

The Sea King is magnificent, let it suffice that I love it

:)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I've decided

My HC4 isnt getting rivets, a few runs with the rivet wheel will have to suffice

No way could even my analistic attention to minutiae generate this much rivettery

I completely concur Bill ! And my Revell kits will have to make do with those they came with!

Amazingly patient work Crisp!

Keith

• Like 3

The sides of the aircraft are now done, bar the occasional tiny detail for which I will spare you photos - so now we turn her on her back and start the underside.

Firstly, to match up the vertical rows that pass right under the tail - and I am pretty pleased with how well aligned they were - only the rearmost double row is out of line, and even then not enough to spoil things, at least to my eyes.  (The splurge under the tail is where the I-band transponder "can" has been knocked off a dozen times; I have it safely stowed, and it will be refitted once I am no longer handling the fuselage quite so much).

34129141434_c7f5271f27_c.jpg

Then onto the curiously therapeutic, hypnotic business of drawing long lines of rivets under the boat hull.  Nice to see the old sonar well again, with the sonar body and snub ring - I had actually forgotten how much work went into making them look OK.  (Note that the tail wheel has suffered similar repeated knock-off-age, just like the transponder!)

34129142464_09a076a84a_c.jpg

Not yet happy with the colour of the Doppler aerials (the 3 white squares under the nose).  They are too stark.

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

only the rearmost double row is out of line, and even then not enough to spoil things, at least to my eyes.

Wouldn't have notice if you hadn't said........and I've forgotten you said it already.

Looking awesome Crisp.

PS.  There's a man beginning a brick build who's after some riveting advice.

• Like 1

He already has rivets

And sufficient awareness to note that extra rivetting in 1:72 scale is not extra, but is superfluous  ;)

Tamiya Deck Tan with copious whitening gives a wonderful less than white white

Just saying...

• Like 1

Stripe-tastic - that's most of the fore-and-aft ones done:

34940581816_2b5858df7f_c.jpg

And here is the starboard tail, wot I didn't show you earlier:

34940510726_68a2f93638_b.jpg

More later

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4