ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

Nice to see those big red flotation devices in use again!:ner:  The tail rotor thingy-ma-jig looks the bee's knees!

Happy hunting!

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 2

On 22/02/2017 at 3:33 PM, AntPhillips said:

Des Kilfeather's Flickr page

I had a wee smile when I looked at this.Is that velcro stuck to the window?

After the effort you went to to clean up the window too.

I can see this being the ultimate Sea King build of course your 819 cab comes along.

Today I turned my attention to the rescue hoist (aka winch).  The kit version is pretty pathetic, frankly - too small, and missing great sections of the apparatus.  However, David Parkins at FlightPath should take a huge bow at this point, because the winch in his set is stunning.  It's something of a kit in itself; 9 pieces of PE so far (with still a couple more to add):

32277221553_068b24581d_b.jpg

...plus 8 pieces of white metal (albeit only 7 of them used):

33092367175_203d271b1c_b.jpg

After the usual cleaning up, I set to work, and ended up with the support frame - mostly PE, but with a white metal thing on top - and the hoist itself - mostly white petal, but with a PE section inside it:

32710302930_e3b1f732d5_b.jpg

32710303740_8dd1cb0bc6_b.jpg

32710303330_84103c08b7_b.jpg

Add them together and you end up with:

32710302080_07cb834ca3_b.jpg

32710302590_dfb2d861e3_b.jpg

As you would expect with all that metal, it is quite heavy, so getting the supporting brackets firm is going to be critical.  Since the whole thing is black, that can wait - though I will be test fitting the brackets before any paint goes anywhere near anything.

Top work, FlightPath peeps; you deserve all the credit today - I merely stuck it together.

More later

Crisp

• Like 9

P.S. Very bodged and held together with Blutac, but it works:

32965609061_093b2e0fed_b.jpg

32965609401_775bdf0552_b.jpg

32965609991_6a32aae7c0_b.jpg

Being the anal perfectionist / geek that I am, however, I've been checking my reference pictures - notably this one:

32936623732_72ab0ab164_h.jpg

[HAS6 masquerading as a hybrid HAR3/HU5  at FAA Museum].  Apart from the hydraulic and electric lines, which make it look more complicated, note the fact that there is a third set of support arms in addition to David P's two; the forward bracket has a V shaped set that come aft.  It makes sense - that is a much stronger arrangement.  It's also not hard to model.  It just illustrates the value of treble checking your references even when using a beautifully designed set like the FlightPath Sea King one.

• Like 8

Incidentally, in case you think i am either over-praising the FlightPath hoist or being over-rude about the Hasegawa version, here they are side by side:

32966053261_791985c34d_b.jpg

All the PE stuff is entirely absent from the Hasegawa representation.  I expect what they provide is something approximating a Sikorsky and/or Mitsubishi hoist, but since this purports to be a special UK Sea King boxing, you'd think they might have tried a bit harder.  Mind you, the cover shot on the box shows an HU5 with no hoist fitted at all, so maybe...

Anyway, after a bit of experimentation, I think the way ahead on the frame is a hybrid - because ironically, though their hoist itself is poor, Hasegawa have got the supporting frame spot on.  Here is the plan (again, allow for Blutac and Bodge):

33093010315_cc222a9e66_b.jpg

Moore soon

Crisp

• Like 7

That feels rather as though it was more work than it needed to be, if you see what I mean.  Anyway, after a lot of stuff requiring about 5 hands, in the end I opted for optimum strength by sticking to one medium - so the framework for the hoist is not fitted.  I will stop there, for fairly obvious reasons; the FlightPath hoist will not be added for a fair old time yet.

But for what it's worth, here is what it will eventually rest on:

32248451094_482fc6d7d0_b.jpg

32712047770_af91e404d1_b.jpg

This way I can build the hydraulic pipes & electrics with the actual hoist not yet there, so not in the way.  The connectors are already fitted, and seem to work quite nicely there.

[Incidentally, ignore that ridiculous Soggy Moggy tiger striped monstrosity on the box top beneath some of these shots.  This cab will be from the Navy's premier carrier-borne ASW squadron, not some bunch who insist on painting vulgar stripes on their aircraft.]

More soon

Crisp

• Like 10

Not much achieved this weekend - I have been singing most of it (the choir I sing in is about to tour to San Francisco, so we were doing a gig today to warm up - and raise money!).

None the less, something has been happening.

First, I wasn't entirely convinced by the portrayal of the winch hook as I had it; if you compare my version:

32277221913_e89bfb135d_b.jpg

...with the real thing:

32936623732_72ab0ab164_h.jpg

...there appears to be an extraneous rectangular lump between the spring and the hook itself.  So I cut it and removed the offending section.  I think it now looks better:

33091827346_59bf4cf830_b.jpg

I have also added the sonobuoy aerials under the belly:

33091829286_310a8f8fcf_h.jpg

33091829816_6a11b48970_b.jpg

...done some painting of the undercarriage (with the other one still under construction):

33091828386_b14dcb6493_b.jpg

...and fitted the winch light over the cargo door (thanks yet again to FlightPath):

33091830396_013af047ac_b.jpg

But the biggest single step forward - though it took about 2 minutes - was the fitting of the pilots' windows:

33091830926_b12788504f_b.jpg

The only thing stopping me from a primer layer now is the reinstatement of the window from the cargo door.  I hope to get that sorted tomorrow.

More than

Crisp 

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 9

Awe inspiring build Crisp.

Joining the "list of people who have suggested how you should build your model" have you thought about adding a lens to the underside of the winch light ?

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

I have thought about it, and luckily I don't have to make a decision until very late.  The part is white metal, so I will see how good it looks with suitable paint / gloss varnish, and then decide.

Great work Crisp, all of it but the winch is sublime. Not only a tribute to the work of Dave Parkins but to you as well for getting it all to work so effectively.

Martian

• Like 1

Can't deny it looks the biz!

Seems like a lot of fuss over a winch. They're pretty much of a muchness aren't they? I mean, who's going to know the difference between one sort and another? Nobody would notice the difference, on here anyways, they certainly wouldn't comment and mess with your precision brain, on here.

Would they?

:crap:

• Like 1