ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

It's a shame Mr. Nicholson chopped the nose off, but it looks like the 1/76 Oxford Diecast Fordson I bought a few years back, for what I had no idea at the time. Maybe it was so that unknowingly in future I would be able to paint  it yellow & have it towing my Trumpy Gannet T5...!

When you say 'blue ones' do you mean RAF Blue Grey like your cabs?

Apologies for the thread drift, I'll stop wittering on about shore based tractors now....

Keith

• Like 1

Keith, I seem to recall the shore tractors being a dark blue similar to RAF BG, but memory is notoriously unreliable and we are talking  30 years since I was Culdrose based (after my first tour, most of my post-training flying career was spent at either Portland or Prestwick).  

Alex is right, though.  You can never have too many photos of Sir John Fairey's products...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, massimo said:

Hi,

I'm really impressed by this project!

All the ingredients are there!!!

The Sea King could be really mistaked with a real one. The riveting work, as well as the model preparation for it were stunning!!!

A few years ago I tried to convert a Sea King into an HH3F and the riveting was something that made me really crazy!

30kbr7b.jpg

347fbs1.jpg

Unfortinately I abandoned the project as I had used too thin plastic card to convert it and with the summer heat it got all mishaped!!!:swear:

Anyway, watching your Wip really got me stuck to my PC all night yesterday and I enjoyed every single page of it!!!

The helicopter on its own, with tail and rotors bent could have been a bit static on its own, but the tractor adds that something to the project that gives it life and makes it so dynamic!!!

A really love it!!!

Looking forward for your next update!!!

Massimo - thank you; coming from a builder of your skill, that is high praise.  Shame about the HH3; judging from these pictures I'd say it was shaping up really nicely!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Makes me sick!

I walked away from an early boxing of the HH3 Jolly Green at our "Last Ever Brum Show" meaning, as you do, to go back after I'd seen "the rest of this row"

Still, could be worse, it was a mate who did get it...   😱😱

I wonder, however I already have sufficient S61 derivatives to be getting on with

There's an S61N in the offing, later on.  😱

Massimo I do wish you had finished that beauty

Edited by perdu
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, AlexN said:

No matter what the (thread) topic, you can never have too many Gannet photos :).

Consider this a gift from me then, Gannet and Ford at Lossie, Aug 1975.  there's even a Crisp cab at rear left.

35529247344_2951324b2c_c.jpgGannet AEW.3 XL471 043 R Lossiemouth Aug 1975 by James Thomas, on Flickr

49 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Keith, I seem to recall the shore tractors being a dark blue similar to RAF BG, but memory is notoriously unreliable and we are talking  30 years since I was Culdrose based (after my first tour, most of my post-training flying career was spent at either Portland or Prestwick).  

Alex is right, though.  You can never have too many photos of Sir John Fairey's products...

I think they would have been in the Ford tractor colour blue, but I could be wrong.

These should bring back memories, believe from early 1980s

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2011/military-aviation-royal-naval-air-station-culdrose-then-and-now/images/1.jpg

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2011/military-aviation-royal-naval-air-station-culdrose-then-and-now/images/2.jpg

The majority of Navy tractors seemed to have been Fordson / Ford, some being Detxa (2000?) models.

There is a nice one in the Fleet Air Arm Museum reserve collection.

Edited by 71chally
links
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Keith, I seem to recall the shore tractors being a dark blue similar to RAF BG, but memory is notoriously unreliable and we are talking  30 years since I was Culdrose based 

Thanks Crisp. And I know what you mean, there was some discussion on a Hurricane thread in RFI as to its spinner colour. Thinking about it afterwards, I realised that I cannot for the life of meremember what colour our Bulldog spinners were. 99.9 % certain they were white. But they could have been black. Or grey....! :D

Keith

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Thinking about it afterwards, I realised that I cannot for the life of meremember what colour our Bulldog spinners were. 99.9 % certain they were white. But they could have been black.

Keith

Both Keith!

Crisp (and many!) will know the pilot of the first one, and may have encountered the engineer in the left hand seat of the second one

16817076359_e87ea5127f_c.jpgBulldog C.1 XX668 I G-CBAN 1 Apr 15 by James Thomas, on Flickr

14457816771_ff1c7daba9_c.jpgBulldog XX668 19 June 14 by James Thomas, on Flickr

This is obviously a preserved example, but the UWAS and majority of UAS Bullfrogs were the same

• Like 3

Thank you very much for the second lovely Gannet photo, James. I got to it jusy after I'd run out of likes, I'm sorry. Nice Ford tractor, too. Nce ones of the Bulldog, too :). As an off-topc and rather bizarre observation, the u/c of the Bulldog lookes almost exactly like the u/c on the General Aircraft 'Skyfarer' a late 30s civil aircraft with twin fins - but no rudders. Designed to be supposedly 'unspinnable', and a cousin to the much more famous 'Ercoupe'. I mention it because I am currently building a 2.15 metre r/c version of the Skyfarer, and am currently tooling up (literally) to make a sprung 'oleo' noseleg. Once - or if - I can work out how to do it. The leg has to steer as well as go up and down, you see...

Cheers,

the alex.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

Both Keith!

Crisp (and many!) will know the pilot of the first one, and may have encountered the engineer in the left hand seat of the second one

16817076359_e87ea5127f_c.jpgBulldog C.1 XX668 I G-CBAN 1 Apr 15 by James Thomas, on Flickr

14457816771_ff1c7daba9_c.jpgBulldog XX668 19 June 14 by James Thomas, on Flickr

This is obviously a preserved example, but the UWAS and majority of UAS Bullfrogs were the same

The legendary Beatts (whom I've only just forgiven for baling out of a Sea Fury FB11 at Prestwick...) in one, but don't recognise the second 

• Like 2

Objectively speaking all we 'not pilots but had a bit of training' like to think we could have brought the Sea Fury floating safely down on the gentle forgiving Caledonian grass but to be fair it is actually far better to stay alive

I'm in favour of option two

Even though the world might have held less forgiving opinions

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The legendary Beatts (whom I've only just forgiven for baling out of a Sea Fury FB11 at Prestwick...) in one, but don't recognise the second 

I remember attending a talk many years ago, just after WG655 had force landed in a field near Yeovilton, John Beattie appeared and started with the line "yes, I'm the chap that crashed two Sea Furies". 

In reality he was unfortunate to suffer two sets of mechanical failures and did well to survive them both.

The second chap there is a fine ex WAFU who twiddled with Wasps, amongst other things.

• Like 2

On 03/08/2017 at 0:31 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I assume mine was a Mk.1; it had the Demin tank for the Sea Harrier water injection system (003 is being topped up in my 1988 pic), but not the large red tank in the left wing.  It also had a small black extinguisher (electrical fires?) attached to the steering column - maybe instead of the right-wibg-mounted version?

I disagree with the above comment about the colour of the extinguisher on the steering column. It's not black, it's gloss dark green, Humbrol number 3 would probably do, and is of a rather noxious gas which I can;t remember the name of :wall:

Had them in the RAF while I was serving which was during the little thing down south was on. I remember being told that if I had to use that type of extinguisher make sure I didn't breath any of it in.

Gondor

• Like 1

On 3/8/2017 at 12:06, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Bill, you might be right - hard to tell from this shot whether the pot is metal or not.  The instructions of the resin tractor (see about 6 pages ago) suggest it's metal, so I have gone with that.

Up to London for funeral of old friend's 90+ year old Mum, but then (separate!) beers with a Naval oppo.

c

That would be BCF. Bromo Chloro Formaldihyde. (Probably spelt wrongly)

The use of which was banned by some H & S organization.

The extinguishers were supposed to have been withdrawn from use at some point in time,

yet were usually still to be seen on Houchins for instance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That would be BCF. Bromo Chloro Formaldihyde. (Probably spelt wrongly)

The use of which was banned by some H & S organization.

The extinguishers were supposed to have been withdrawn from use at some point in time,

yet were usually still to be seen on Houchins for instance.

That sounds right to me :thumbsup:

Gondor

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

Both Keith!

After my time James - I do remember ours had plain black prop blades with yellow tips! @Dr Evilon here flew those post update machines with UWAS in that scheme & disparigingly calls our original (& best!) Billies, the steam driven variant!

Once again, apols for thread drifting Crisp...

Keith

• Like 2

30 years ago Bulldogs had the Black and white spinner/prop style as shown above, the rear face of the prop was black with a yellow tip though, which is what we are seeing here on this UWAS Bulldog, https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/full_size_0105/1159292-large.jpg

They were delivered to the RAF with grey props with red/white tips and red spinners, but that didn't last long before they went to the above scheme c.1978.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

On 03/08/2017 at 10:58 PM, keefr22 said:

It's a shame Mr. Nicholson chopped the nose off, but it looks like the 1/76 Oxford Diecast Fordson I bought a few years back, for what I had no idea at the time. Maybe it was so that unknowingly in future I would be able to paint  it yellow & have it towing my Trumpy Gannet T5...!

When you say 'blue ones' do you mean RAF Blue Grey like your cabs?

Apologies for the thread drift, I'll stop wittering on about shore based tractors now....

Keith

From Paul Beaver's Encyclopedia of the Modern Royal Navy the tractors were mainly Ford 2600s and 4100s which were being replaced (in the mid 1980s) by Ford 3600s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 71chally said:

RAF with grey props with red/white tips and red spinners,

See what i mean about my colour memory?! I really don't remember red spinners! But the grey/red/white prop blades are ringing a bell. As is said props having black/yellow tipped rear faces..?? I was with UWAS Sept 75-August 78. I have some dogeared black & white prints of our aeroplanes somewhere, I'll have to see if i can find them.

Keith

Edit, sorry James didn't read your post properly & completely missed your first line & the bit about the rear of the prop blades. i'm glad i'm not going completely senile!

• Like 1