ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

Lashings of ringb...........?

He he, just what the doctor ordered

I'm glad we have a longer journey before us than that, this one's too good to go yet

🚁

• Like 1

Still loads to do yet, Bill - 4 weapons stations and associated (very prominent, red) wiring, the Forth Road Bridge gear... and of course the minor detail of the rotor head, which has so far seen some successful experiments, but no more.  We are nowhere near done with this one yet!

• Like 1

An excellent example of not only dedication but patience as well. She is looking very sweet and those rivets really do work. Looking forward to more work on this, rotor head, forth road bridge and weapons! You'll be hitting 200 pages before we know it!

Cracking work!

Bob

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The sides of the aircraft are now done, bar the occasional tiny detail for which I will spare you photos - so now we turn her on her back and start the underside.

Firstly, to match up the vertical rows that pass right under the tail - and I am pretty pleased with how well aligned they were - only the rearmost double row is out of line, and even then not enough to spoil things, at least to my eyes.  (The splurge under the tail is where the I-band transponder "can" has been knocked off a dozen times; I have it safely stowed, and it will be refitted once I am no longer handling the fuselage quite so much).

34129141434_c7f5271f27_c.jpg

Then onto the curiously therapeutic, hypnotic business of drawing long lines of rivets under the boat hull.  Nice to see the old sonar well again, with the sonar body and snub ring - I had actually forgotten how much work went into making them look OK.  (Note that the tail wheel has suffered similar repeated knock-off-age, just like the transponder!)

34129142464_09a076a84a_c.jpg

Not yet happy with the colour of the Doppler aerials (the 3 white squares under the nose).  They are too stark.

More soon

Crisp

Glad you posted this, saved me looking up reference pics for the position of the SACRU attachment points. :-)

Keep up the great work.. Most enjoyable 

If you think about it, the position of the SACRU attachments is fairly obvious.  The whole aircraft is designed around the dipping sonar, so the sonar well is directly under the rotor head to minimise any nasty undemanded pitch issues that might develop as a bloody great heavy weight swings around under the aircraft (doubtless because of some ham-fisted aircrewman, since the smooth, silky skills of the guys in the front are unquestionable...).  

So it makes sense for the SACRU to use the same approach; the four heavy attachment points through which all the weight must pass are on the big frames either side of the sonar well.  In the worst case you might go over weight when load lifting, but at least you can forget sbout C of G.

(Incidentally, all Sea Kings are built with a sonar well.  The lesser versions [AEW2, HAR3, HC4, ASaC7] have a blanking plate over it, but it's still there!)

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

Those little squares at the front?

Are they the radalt aerials like on my Wasp, because they're in the same position as Wopsie

On the Wasp they are a kind of polyfacetted amber lens, would they be different on the Queen of the skies?

I recently visited the FAA museum at Yeovilton (well worth a visit if anyone is thinking of going). Apart from the horror that is the chimera in hall1, there is a very nice Junglie in hall 4 that you can get above using a walkway. After having taken a multitude of shots of the FRS1 on the ski-ramp, I spent several moments gazing down at the Junglie, specifically the rotor head thinking "Good luck with that mate".

So, when you get to the rotor head - Good luck with that mate!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Those little squares at the front?

Are they the radalt aerials like on my Wasp, because they're in the same position as Wopsie

On the Wasp they are a kind of polyfacetted amber lens, would they be different on the Queen of the skies?

They are part of the Doppler system, which is crucial to the whole night ASW hover capability around which the Sea King was designed.  Between them, the 3 Doppler aerials transmit a cone under the aircraft which enables it to judge movement in any direction and feed it to the AFCS ("auto-pilot").  The third aerial is the larger one behind the anti-collision light.  The give-away is the fact that they are pointing forward of the nose, not straight down (as they would for a RADALT).

It is definitely white on the original, with a "RADOME DO NOT PAINT" stencil - see this shot of the underside of XZ574's nose in the FAA Museum.

34966749216_fece444041_b.jpg

This photo shows quite a lot of other stuff - the nose bay locking handle (top of photo), the landing lamp (which can be moved around by a control on the collective), the attachment of the sea anchor line, the (yellow) sonobuoy homing aerials, the (smaller, white) VHF homer, plus the underside anti-collision light.  Oh, and a Stingray TVT (training variant torpedo) and some details of the undercarriage.

More later

Crisp

P.S. No drip trays, though, which tells you how long it is since this particular aircraft was air-worthy!  Like most aircraft, especially of that era, the Sea King drips oil like a good 'un

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

Back end close to done - particularly pleased with how the curved edge has come out:

34885080431_06c344dbd9_c.jpg

And the complex strengthening bits around the sonar well and SACRU are starting to take shape, too:

34629740670_2b9cd81233_c.jpg

Happy with progress.  More soon

Crisp

• Like 10

Covfefe, clearly; that way it can mean anything you want it to!

Seriously fiddly bits at the moment, as I make my way along the edge of the underside of the boat hull:

35036859775_55d05f9710_c.jpg

Still, the overall effect is rather pleasing, even if applying each 2mm row (and keeping them lined up) tends to make your eyes go round in circles after a while.

Incidentally, in case you hadn't guessed, the white gash at the port rear corner is where a large blade aerial once sat, and will sit again in due course!

More tomorrow

Crisp

• Like 7

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I'm worried by this build.....

....Already described as a masterpiece, and a masterclass.....

....Many other superlatives have already been used at various stages.....

...What's going to happen when it's eventually finished? We'll have run out.....

...Perhaps we'll have to do a Sarah Palin and combine a couple into a new one.....

...Like 'magnificent' and 'superb' - 'superficent' or 'magniperb'? Or use a new word.....

...'Covfefe'?

I think it's got to the point where we need to start lobbying @Mike for a random superlative generator for builds like this.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Richard E said:

I think it's got to the point where we need to start lobbying @Mike for a random superlative generator for builds like this.

I quite agree!

Martian