ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

Thanks, everybody!  It is surprisingly therapeutic to do, actually Steve - you need to have something else to do alongside it, or it would probably drive you nuts; I am working on the 5 main rotor blades (one of which has already been photographed, so not bothering to show the other 4 identical versions).  It is going to take me quite a lot longer to finish - I haven't even started on the starboard side, and the nose currently remains virgin territory as well.  None the less, I am happy with the effect that is gradually emerging - I think it was @Fritag who described it as "quilted" a while ago.  Once everything is done and sealed, then oils and other weathering will tone it down from the current stark silver rivets.... but that's a long way off yet!

Going out today, but possibly some time later.

Crisp

P.S. Incidentally, if you are wondering what the pieces of masking tape on the dog kennel, underside and radar are for, they are simply because you have to handle the model an awful lot when doing this, and I want to protect the paint from greasy fingers.  You will also note that the tail wheel has come off for the second time, so it will remain detached until I have finished messing about!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Today's session done - port side behind the Observer's window now close to finished.

33332828073_40a6e29171_b.jpg

33332827733_fdaf0cbc56_c.jpg

Second one from a slightly less unforgiving (and more representative) viewing distance.

I continue to be happy with how it's coming on.

Crisp

• Like 11

That's meticulous and impressive stuff Crisp.  All those lines of rivets look nicely parallel and perpendicular (the lawyer in me worried over whether that statement was contradictory - before the human being in me decide he didn't care).....

• Like 3

Thank you!  Actually, the bit I am most pleased with is the section where the lines are deliberately NOT parallel, namely the section just forward of the transportation joint - i.e. where the roundel is.  That's where the fuselage suddenly gets much fatter (or thinner, depending on your direction of travel!), so the lines diverge / converge.  I tried measurement, but actually found that the Mark One Eyeball worked best along "that looks about right" lines.  The tail is similar, but the way they deal with it in that case is that a few lines don't go all the way to the tail fold hinge - once again you have to judge it by eye, using local "landmarks" (HF aerial, Observer's window, Orange Crop, etc) to get your bearings.

It was a PITA to have to re-do all this because the paint wasn't man enough, but I learned loads the first time round so maybe it was for the best.

• Like 1

...and today; the port side of the tail is now finished, so I can fit the strake.

34122588926_21c5688c45_b.jpg

34163430785_d99de8481e_b.jpg

Incidentally, that is one complete pack of single-row rivets, and almost exactly half a pack of doubles (with a few mm of triples thrown in).  I reckon it will take me 3 packs of single and 1.5 of double to do the whole airframe...

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

I seriously don't know which part of the helicopter to look at first now; my eye just gets pulled continually across it from detail to detail!

'I don't know Jeff. There's more rivets on this thing than councillors at a free bar.'

longgoodfriday02.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Incidentally, that is one complete pack of single-row rivets, and almost exactly half a pack of doubles (with a few mm of triples thrown in).

I know you've probably stated this somewhere back in this thread, but if you could provide part numbers or links to the actual rivets you used, that would probably be appreciated by several members of this forum, and not least, byme !

• Like 2

They are all HGW rivets.

The vast majority are 0.2mm diameter, 0.6mm pitch in either double (far right - Ref 482012) or single (next right - ref 482011) lines.  [The doubles pack also has a two rows of triples, just about visible on the left edge of the sheet in this shot.]

34052899041_f24ba0125a_b.jpg

The third from the right is a very useful sheet which has outlines for various circular, oval and similar shapes - a tear-drop shape went perfectly round a sponson navigation light today, for instance.  That's also 0.2 / 0.6, and Ref no is 482018.

Finally, the left hand sheet is 0.2mm but 0.9mm pitch (slightly further apart, for those of you who don't speak rivet).  I use that in a few places where I want a slight contrast - on the tail on the fairing, for instance.  Ref no 482013.

In other news, I have started on the starboard side:

33799497600_47dcc73067_c.jpg

More soon

Crisp

P.S. This is what I mean about the shapes; you don't use many, but when you need them they are superb. As well as the nav light, you can also see one used around the forward gravity fuelling point just behind the door.

34183909225_00e2533d5a_c.jpg

Getting the lines to bend like those around the top of the flot bag is an acquired skill; it involves MicroSol in considerable quantities, and timing (which can go badly wrong, meaning you lose the rivets and start again.  I am getting better at it, but still regularly make a dog's breakfast and have to start again).

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 11

excellent information. Thanks Crisp.

There are a few builds out there that are good. There are a few out there that are great, and there are but very few out there that really push the boundaries and to which modelers can point and say "this is an example of what I aspire to"  -   This is one of those builds.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, hendie said:

excellent information. Thanks Crisp.

There are a few builds out there that are good. There are a few out there that are great, and there are but very few out there that really push the boundaries and to which modelers can point and say "this is an example of what I aspire to"  -   This is one of those builds.

Wow!  Coming from the builder of That Wessex, this is high praise indeed.  Thank you.

• Like 2

Added new bits of plastic shocker!  I have finally reached the point where the tail strake can be added - and you can now see why I waited until now, since the rivets pass underneath it.

33840584560_6f25ec9dd5_c.jpg

Continuing with the rivets, I have moved onto the port sponson.  The sponsons are a complex set of compound curves, so it isn't easy to get the lines looking authentically straight (-ish), so it is a good game played slowly!  You have to build them up gradually - patience is definitely essential for this lark.

33840582990_03d68a3b4b_c.jpg

33840582460_20cf120081_c.jpg

33382744984_88150bcc2c_c.jpg

Sponsons not that easy to photograph, either!

More soon

Crisp

• Like 11