ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

32596643404_b544a39416_b.jpg

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance of these things and aplogies if this has already been asked but is the white square panel on the centre line for the Doppler Radar Altimeter, and if so is it the same as the Sea Harrier one?

Amazing build.  This deserves to be in a glass case in the FAA Museum.

• Like 1

Not sure which mark of Doppler system the Shar had, but it might well be the same Thales Mk. 71 doppler as in the Sea King - and yes, that centre aerial is part of the Doppler.  The RADALT is an entirely separate system, though, made by Honeywell.

• Like 1

I'm back!  Lots of real lofe stuff to sort out today, and tomorrow (Thursday) I am going to Yeovilton for a final Lynx retirement party, so there may not be much bench time til the weekend.  Plus my body still thinks it's 4 o'clock in the morning, so I am as sharp as a beach ball - not the best state in which to handle a model.

While away I have, however, made a decision about the windscreen, so watch this space.

San Fran?  It was awful, I tell you.

• Like 6

Evidence that I was there (SF seen from Twin Peaks - no evidence of David Lynch - with self in foreground):

33592077971_4f555ea071_b.jpg

I did manage to get in a little model-related sightseeing.  The wonderful museum ship SS Jeremiah O'Brien (one of, or possibly the only, surviving Liberty Ships and a D Day veteran):

33592078921_bc43920531_b.jpg

Just ahead of her is USS Pampanito, a Balao class WW2 submarine:

33592079001_38c8774e51_c.jpg

And here we all are outside the Stanford Memorial Church before our first (of 9) concert on 18 March.  The correct shade of Sarum Green (the official name for the colour of our cassocks) gets almost as much discussion as Interior Green or EDSG!

32878706494_386e58e285_h.jpg

Edit: Oh God - now we're on the BBC (the BA crew asked the kids to sing a song when they woke us up at c.37,000' over the Atlantic.  A bit ragged after almost no sleep, but a laugh!  They range from 10 to 13, and were unbelievably fantastic on the tour.):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-39434017

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 13

That first picture, Over your right shoulder

can be seen the shadow of the 'visitors' saucer.

And I do like your I love Clacton badge.

Oh, welcome back, BTW.

You didn't miss much.

Unlike us. tsk.

• Like 2

Anyway, that's quite enough of the tour - there's modelling to be done.

I said I had come to a conclusion about the canopy, and you probably know me well enough by now to guess what it was...

33339622880_10231c60ca_c.jpg

33339621940_e620c0d318_c.jpg

That second picture shows one of the main reason i decided to do it.  I probably would have just lived with the loose Ornage Crop controller if that had been all that was wrong, but only after all the masking came off did I notice the fact that I had missed a bit of white (because it was part of the fuselage sides rather than the cockpit parts.  That white section underneath the instrument panel just looks wrong (same other side).

Here is the removed top section - very, very, very carefully sawn over about 25 minutes - plus the errant OC controller.

33339622410_297f1afcfa_c.jpg

...and here it is placed back on top, which gives me confidence that in due course I should be able to make it invisible.

33339621550_f63ee064d2_c.jpg

Some careful work to do to ensure no dust left inside once I close it up again - plus obviously fixing the issues that made me do this drastic surgery in the first place - but I am happy with this progress.

The join I really did NOT want to have to undo was the one at the top of the windscreen.

Nice to be back - more soon

Crisp

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That first picture, Over your right shoulder

can be seen the shadow of the 'visitors' saucer.

Oh, welcome back, BTW.

You didn't miss much.

Unlike us. tsk.

The I love Los Altos badge is a choir joke - I sing Alto.  Los Altos is a quiet suburb of SF with no special reason to love it...

• Like 2

Wot he say

Izz true

Glad you enjoyed it, seemed like California was enjoying it too

Great save with that canopy roof and the OC dooberry

Hoorah

hoorah the Crisp is back

(why do I hear little funny looking folks after I wroted that?)   :(

• Like 2

Welcome back Crisp, seems like 2 weeks ago ! Can't believe you cut the top off the canopy, good job though.

I see a twin Squirrel has gone missing over the Irish Sea flying from Milton Keynes to Dublin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39436401

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 11:53 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Odd. I thought it was "I love Los Alamos"

An ideal way to wind up the San Fran hippy community, but possibly not too PC, especially when on tour!

Very delicate saw work there Mr Crisp. Did you have a "revelation" whilst on holiday, of how to extract the loose bit from inside?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hairystick said:

Odd. I thought it was "I love Los Alamos"

An ideal way to wind up the San Fran hippy community, but possibly not too PC, especially when on tour!

Very delicate saw work there Mr Crisp. Did you have a "revelation" whilst on holiday, of how to extract the loose bit from inside?

Pretty much, yes.  I really didn't fancy removing the entire windscreen piece, because I glued the lower sections in pretty hard so that they eventually conformed to the fuselage, and then had to do a fair amount of work to get the bottom of the windscreen faired into the nose.  I also feared wrecking the PE / clear acetate home-baked side windows.

But then I thought about the framing, and reckoned I should investigate the feasibility of a neat cut horizontally across the top section.  Frasibility check turned into actual cut.

Now I have another probkem to solve, namely painting the white sections without getting paint onto the quarterlights....  But I have a plan.

• Like 3

I'm just going to leave a little space here:

.   .   .   .   .  for future generations to add superlatives not currently invented in the English tongue to adequately describe this build.

Bravo on the choristry also Crisp. Sarum green? Thank goodness you're not in the Soylent choir...:D

Tony

• Like 5

Welcome back! and cracking on as if the vicissitudes of the last two weeks jolly was but a moments passing.

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

The roof is still open on my Sea King cabriolet, because I am taking the opportunity to do a couple of things.  First up, I have given all the windows a serious polish, both inside & out, which has particularly paid off on the home-brew side windows - all of them are an improvement, though (and I am particularly anxious to dispose of any sawdust from the re-opening of the lid.

33813520965_8db9869cc0_c.jpg

Apart from the roof itself, which is masked pending spraying of the centre section, the pieces of masking tape are purely to protect the paintwork during handling.  The lacquer paint is robust enough (indeed, that's largely why I have used it), but that doesn't mean it is immune to grease stains and the like from handling the fuselage.

I am also experimenting with the feasibility of adding the outside air temperature gauge to the windscreen - it was always part of my plan, and then I clean forgot to put it in place.  I'm talking about the two stalks sticking out of the centre of the windscreen in this pic of the Museum's weirdo Mk 6 pretending to be half HAR3 and half HU5:

33657138092_9cb11d7522_b.jpg

Incidentally, the two things sticking down at the top of the windscreen (one yellow, one red in this instance) are the hi-tech outlets for the windscreen washer fluid...

The longer of those two temperature probes has a gauge on the other side of it.  Even in this scale it is ludicrously small:

33813521355_15948d3678_c.jpg

(Airscale triumph yet again).  If I can I will add this to the inside of the windscreen before I button up again, though it is an awkward angle.  The probes will not be added until the very end of the build.

More later

Crisp 

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

OAT gauge successfully added (roof of cabin only dry fitted at this point) - I had to photograph it at this odd angle for the gauge to show up against the background.  We are looking at the back of the gauge.  Not sure whether it was worth the effort, but we know there is a readable face on the other side, don't we chaps?

33779277186_ed1e58edb6_c.jpg

And with the OC controller re-glued, the roof is now glued back in place.  

33779276736_4ebdf195a4_c.jpg

A little bit of filling to be done along the top of the pilots' windows and across the rear (though some of that join will be hidden under the Barn Door), but nothing too drastic.  Then a re-spray to cover the join, plus painting the black lower window surrounds... then full-on rivet-o-rama!

I'm away tomorrow, so maybe nothing until Wednesday.

Crisp

P.S. Note the fact that the centre section of the roof is now in black primer!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 8

I love the spikes, but dead jealous you got a gauge for it

I never found something like that for my Wessii

The cabin roof and innards have been an object lesson, which is why I keep coming back for more sheer modelling pleasure

And now he's respraying great tracts of the thing...

Amazing

• Like 1