ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

Absolutely stunning....I thought it was a while back but it couldn't have been , because then it would be better than stunning now, and that's not possible!

Or is it........

Ian

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andyf117 said:

Port flotation bag? Or is it already done, and hidden under a cunningly-disguised thin coat of Maskol or the like, ready to be whisked off like a magician's cloak?

I'm glad YOU asked

I hadn't the nerve, with him off packing his best DJ for singing duties...

:whistle:

You are right, of course, about the port flot bag - which may or may not be done before I go.

DJ?  What do you think I am?  Some sort of pub singer?

Strictly cassocks, boys; this is a Cathedral choir.  And a cassock doesn't half take up a big wedge of your baggage allowance, an' all!

• Like 4

Oooh, cassocks! Brown, hairy and prickly? (As all good cassocks should be:tmi:

Enjoy the tour! But please come back and finish this tour-de-force of attention to detail, even if it is an infernal egg-beater;).

Happy hunting,

Christian, exiled to africa

Not brown, hairy or prickly; "Sarum green" (a shade that is argued about almost as much as Interior Green amongst modellers!), un-hairy and actually pretty OK.

Worry not; I will be back - and I haven't quite finished before I go.

First up, the port side exhaust / footstep black marks, plus the spine walkways on both sides.  Oh, and just to keep Andy & Bill happy, the port flot bag.

33054238190_1291d9f7e1_c.jpg

Secondly, an angle that you haven't seen for quite a while, namely from beneath.  Visible are the three white blade aerials (2 at tail, one under starboard nose), plus the two black blade aerials (both under tail, for sonobuoy reception) with the sonobuoy chute next to them.  The small squares and the larger aerial under the nose are the Doppler system.  And the sonar body is now visible once more, with its copper snub ring.  The oval thing is where the lower anti-coll light will eventually sit, and the rectangle in front of it is the base for the VHF homer ("Violet picture").  Just about visible under the nose are the two bases for the sonobuoy homer (which will eventually be two rather garish yellow rods).  Between the two sponsons are the SACRU fittings (5 of them), with the two oil collector cans level with the front of the stub wing.

33054237630_af96d53d1e_c.jpg

This is now ready for its layer of protective varnish.  Both sides to follow later on this afternoon.  

Crisp

P.S. ...and one for @hendie; not the new cutting mat, because I realised there is still life in the old one if I turn it round!

33309551761_73ff466636_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 9

Thought you might want to see the walkways down either side of the tail rotor drive shaft.  (The gleam is because this was taken a few seconds after a coat of varnish was sprayed).

33056502850_5af453f175_c.jpg

Oh, and what do we have here?  Wheels!

33056502570_3a4836db92_c.jpg

32596643404_b544a39416_b.jpg

Close to buttoning up for the duration now.  A few photos will follow before I go.

Crisp

• Like 10

Oooo, ahhhh and other highly pleasurable plaudits!:blush:

Hurry back, green cassock and all and rivet it!

Christian, exiled to africa and getting all overcome by the mighty eggbeater

Right, that's me done with modelling for 2 weeks, so as I sign off I thought I'd have a bit of fun; I have borrowed a piece of flight deck from a passing Sea Vixen and photographed the Sea King on that - seems appropriate for her first outing on all 5 wheels.

33440446735_54f6ecce54_c.jpg

33440446395_96cfca24a2_c.jpg

33440446035_eb83c2815e_c.jpg

[Sorry this one's a bit out of focus, but I wanted to try to capture her nose on from low down, so we can see the wheels properly.  Only partially successful.]

33440445835_0e42d07813_c.jpg

33440445655_9814549a25_c.jpg

33440445415_5fabd3c244_c.jpg

33284970852_28ff04a784_c.jpg

33284970352_85441e0eab_c.jpg

32626495423_216f701804_c.jpg

[This one is pleasing, cos it shows that the roundels are aligned vertically - I hadn't noticed that before, but it shows that my measurements worked OK!  It also shows that Hasegawa have nicely captured the look of a Sea King on the ground - they always look somehow as though they are light on the tail wheel]

32626495193_4446a9a90b_c.jpg

This is mostly self-indulgence, but it has also helped me add a couple of things to the "Snag List on Return".

You will note that BOTH spine aerials were casualties of the walk way masking.  Ah well; they were scratch built anyway, so shouldn't be any problem to repeat the process!

Keep on having fun, and see y'all in a couple of weeks.

Navy 346 chopping FLYCO, thank you for your service; good night.

Crisp

P.S. Incidentally, those rather poncey white axles on the main wheels are authentic.  I hadn't remembered them at all, but the 1988 photo from Oz shows them loud and clear.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 12

P.P.S. After taking the shots above, I realised that I can now unmask the windscreen - side windows will have to wait a bit longer.

There is one inadvertent howler (fixable, so no sweat), clearly visible in this first picture:

33400699666_aaaf00549b_c.jpg

I have simply taken the masks off - no polishing or clean up.  So on the whole I am pretty happy with how much is visible.

33313084181_e6520675d7_c.jpg

It also solves the mystery of what has broken loose and is rattling around inside.  I had sneaking suspicion that has turned out to be correct; this cab has no visible Orange Crop control box on the dashboard.  Ah well!

Crisp

P.S. I now have two weeks to decide whether it is worth the effort of removing the canopy and retrieving the OC controller - it could be done, but would obviously mean a fair amount of remedial work to get the joins right again afterwards...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 9

Minor problems? So what?

This gets closer to the sublime by the minute Crisp

We are in the position of having lots of spare minutes to go back and re-enjoy the lot

Have fun in the colonies mate

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Strictly cassocks, boys; this is a Cathedral choir.  And a cassock doesn't half take up a big wedge of your baggage allowance, an' all!

As a chap who wears a wig, gown and starched wing collar and bands as part of his day job - all of which take some lugging about (in an embroidered red bag if you'd believe it) I find I am somewhat pleased to find a fellow fancy dress wearer on BM :) 

Very jealous of your trip to San Francisco Crisp.  Do the choir chill and bond with a few (several?) beers after a service (performance?).  Is there a prohibition against line-shooting/hands in the bar?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Do the choir chill and bond with a few (several?) beers after a service (performance?).

Hell, yes!  Choir tours are brilliant; some people have been working seriously hard to set it all up, but people like me just have to turn up and sing twice a day... and that's it.  I am being paid to go to San Francisco for 2 weeks; what's not to like?

• Like 5

Musicians pride themselves on being in the bar before the audience so it comes as no surprise that singers are the same.

Have a great time but don't forget that a whole bunch of recent Sea King converts will be anxiously awaiting your return to that rejuvenated cutting mat and the masterpiece upon it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The radome is fine - that's just an optical illusion!  Happily, fixing the centre panel is simple; easy masking and 30 seconds with an airbrush...

Funnily enough, I did exactly the same.... but looking wasn't seeing and it took me a while to finally spot it. Fabulous build btw.

Anyhoo..enjoy the trip 👌👍