ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

And with dry fitted main undercarriage legs; the two Flory sanding sticks are an attempt to compensate for the lack of wheels at this stage.  I think Hasegawa have captured the characteristic stoop of a taxying Sea King rather well.

32166640884_17d5973044_h.jpg

32166640334_dde7e39ea9_h.jpg

This is largely the equivalent of waving a 1/72 Spit over your head and making dagga-dagga noises; fun!  Partly to check that everything aligns before the glue cures too hard, but mostly fun.

There is a fair amount to do to the undercarriage, so it will be a few hours before it's all permanently fitted.  But definite progress.

[It does look a bit weird being able to see right through the exhausts, though!]

C

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 12

On 15/02/2017 at 10:16 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Anyway, on our way home from Oz in 1988 there was an unfortunate incident involving a Sea King landing on top of a Sea Harrier.  I have never seen these photos published anywhere, but what a superb diorama....

Oops!

C

Oops indeed, don't suppose you know which SHAR it was?

I've already been asked that; the best I can do is look at the photos (which are the only two I have) - it's either 002 or 003 (I incline to the former).  I am sure your SIG can match 1988 801NAS side numbers to airframes.  Sorry, but I have no more than that; I'm also not completely certain which of my squadron's cabs it was, though since I am still in touch with at least 2 of the crew, that at least would be easy enough to find out from their log books.

3 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I've already been asked that; the best I can do is look at the photos (which are the only two I have) - it's either 002 or 003 (I incline to the former).  I am sure your SIG can match 1988 801NAS side numbers to airframes.

Thanks, I'm sure the guys can come up with the goods! Now back to lurking and watching your work! :-)

Dave

• Like 1

Oh, you need all the greeblies; helicopters have to look useful.  If you want sleek and shiny, you're in the wrong place (though the Lynx & Gazelle have their sleek aspects), but if you want a kick-a*se flying machine that can do almost anything, then you definitely need greeblies!

Anyway.

A few posts ago I showed you the FlightPath PE pilots' window frames, which are real things of beauty.  I have really been struggling, however, to get them to stick to the kit windows in a manner that looks even vaguely convincing. I can get them to look like a couple of pieces of brass bolted onto the side of a Sea King for some random reason, but I want them to look like... well, like window frames, really.

So I have come up with another Cunning Plan.  The issue seems - at least partly - to be the thickness of the kit windows; add them to the airframe and the PE part sticks out too far.  [To be fair to Hasegawa, they are designed to be painted to look like window frames themselves, obviously!]  My normal countersinking is very hard to do here, and the clear plastic parts are hard and brittle.  Anyway, to cut a long story short I have decided to keep the PE frames and replace the window transparencies - simple enough because they are flat.  Out came an old piece of Aires packaging (Sea Vixen ejection seat, from memory) that I keep for precisely this purpose, and a few cuts later we have something approximating to a window:

32975681376_f7122f1f54_b.jpg

Since this shot I have painted the inside of the frames yellow, and once that is well and truly dry out will come the Gator Grip.

Next, time to move onto the undercarriage.  Eduard provide nice PE bays, but the real thing is pretty clean and simple.  There are a couple of hydraulic lines in there, but nothing too complex, so I have not gone overboard.  You can also see the Eduard PE piece under the stub wing.  I had missed this when I was fitting Micromark rivets a couple of days ago, but Eduard's is way better.  I had to trim the one on the other wing to allow the flood lamp to show.

32975680966_5119cd6dfa_b.jpg

Hasegawa's undercarriage is pretty good, showing the chunky girder-like legs well.  I have added a couple of hydraulic / brake lines that are prominent on the real thing, plus another of my minuscule connectors.

32975680736_2d2c54f671_b.jpg

I have also drilled out some lightening holes in the trailing arm (which you can't see here - trust me, they're there), and drilled the hole for the ground locking pin; this will eventually have a nice fat Remove Before Flight flag on it, but for now is simply a piece of brass rod in a hole:

32975679036_a1ebb36b67_b.jpg

Hard to see on the undercarriage, because of the angle, is the fact that I have replaced both tie-down rings.  These are the weakest part of Hasegawa's offering, and since I will be adding lashings to this beast, they need to be rings not amorphous lumps.  I have actually replaced all of the tie-down rings throughout the aircraft - 2 per side on the fuselage, 2 per undercarriage leg, and this one, which is the easiest to photograph, by the tail wheel.  This too will have lashings on it, so is modelled sticking out, ready for them.  In this photo you can also clearly see the large hole drilled in the aircraft, where the Forth Road Bridge gear will fit.  The white lugs with holes in them are 2 of the 6 attachment points for the wires that steady the HF aerial (yes, there is even going to a small amount of rigging for this cab...), which I added yesterday.  You can see two others towards the rear of the tail pylon in the next photo.  The third set are forward of the Looker's window, and not visible in these photos.

32975678876_256792cf97_b.jpg

As I said earlier, it is getting to the point where it is hard to handle this model (for fear of dislodging those greeblies that Hendie was on about).  Happily a Sea King without a rotor head sits very happily on its back!

32975678716_eaed5078aa_h.jpg

Note HF aerial masts now fitted; 1 by the tail, one by the Sea Searcher radome and the third on the port sponson.

More later if I get time.  I am away all day tomorrow in London.

Crisp

P.S. the front of the undercarriage legs has had PE replacement for one section, but otherwise is kit - the torque link is kit, drilled out, and I think looks better than the flat PE equivalent:

32635865960_de21c2be82_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 9

She is looking proper pukka now, if you can continue without knocking anything off, I doff my hat off to you! A wee note on the side window, not sure if will matter in this scale (but then again the tiny details you have put in, it may do!) but the side windows are not aligned. The rear one is slightly indented to allow the front one to slide over it. Like I said I don't know if it will make a difference but just leading you on to make a functioning sliding window really! I'm sure @hendie tried to ban me for making ridiculous suggestions like that on his Wessie build! :D

Bob

• Like 3

Final post until tomorrow evening at least.  I am gradually making progress with the HGW rivets, this time for keeps - the (folded) tail pylon is the only bit being done at the moment, because it needs to be painted first.

Most of the markings (roundels, large numbers etc) are going to be painted on this model, but the smaller marks are transfers - including, for instance, the R for Ark on the tail.  I am very happy with the way that the rivets are showing up ON TOP of the markings - visible here (unfinished) across the R and the E of DANGER - which of course they do in real life.   The photos actually make the rivets more prominent than they appear to the naked eye.  They will all get a wash or two over the top to dull them down, but actually it isn't going to have to be too heavy.  

33018236935_7fa9e0ece1_b.jpg

I'm also (and this is Hendie's fault again!) rather pleased with the fact that the inner rivets are at one pitch and the outer ones (which are actually on the edge of the fairing that covers the underside) are at a different pitch.  Deeply, deeply sad!

I know the windows aren't aligned in real life, Bob.  Though I haven't glued anything yet, mine will not be 100% authentic in this regard - too difficult to get the window, PE and fuselage side to line up as it is, without introducing yet another level!

Nice try, though...

C

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 9

Not too sure about the four flotation aids :wicked: (They look suspiciously like paint pots...).

(Looking good:like:)

Christian, exiled to a land without the mighty egg-beater

Edited by wyverns4
squid-crab baiting
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Like I said I don't know if it will make a difference but just leading you on to make a functioning sliding window really! I'm sure @hendie tried to ban me for making ridiculous suggestions like that on his Wessie build!

I feel that is a perfectly reasonable request

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I'm also (and this is Hendie's fault again!) rather pleased with the fact that the inner rivets are at one pitch and the outer ones (which are actually on the edge of the fairing that covers the underside) are at a different pitch.  Deeply, deeply sad!

dunno how I ended up getting the blame for that one but I'll happily accept responsibility

2 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

Not too sure about the four flotation aids :wicked: (They look suspiciously like paint pots...).

you should have seen the sponsons earlier !  The "flotation aids" are positively high tech !

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Happily a Sea King without a rotor head sits very happily on its back!

Reminds me of a girl I once knew!

Martian

• Like 5

This build is a total inspiration to me.  As soon as I can squirrel away a chunk of money without Household 6 noticing I'll start my own.  

In my mind there's nothing more satisfying than building a vehicle you've served in.  Unfortunately for me, that means an M1114, 2 M1151's, an M3A3 and an MATV.

Even though they're wheeled and tracked vehicles, seeing the passion you've put into this build had truly inspired me to start building my own vehicles.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I may be being over-simplistic here, but a vertical cut through each window to separate front and rear, a few strips of the same material (to ensure correct depth) around the inside face of the rear (neatly rectangular) frames, attach transparencies, et voila?

I know how it COULD be done; I am just not sure whether I am going to bother to do it.

Anyone else want to tell me how to build my model?

[You're all b*stards and I hate you; you so know I'll end up doing it!]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 10

I could tell you because, obviously, I know how to do sliding windows. ;)

But I'm not going to offer advice simply in order for Crisp to apply to the gaffer for a quick wipe of the ban hammer on my noodle.

Instead I'll wish Mr Grumpbucket lots of good karma for the interview

And continue to enjoy watching the same Mr G overcome loads of obstacles to give us the Very Best Ever Sea King in the world from the commentary box instead of the sin bin

Of course, if I was doing it I'd..........

:)

Good un today, give em a roasting Crisp.

• Like 1

Just for the avoidance of any doubt, the windows I make will probably have more than one depth, so they look right.  They absolutely, definitely, categorically will NOT be functioning sliding windows.  So Bill's knowledge is, in this instance, wasted!

• Like 5

Where's that blimmin whistle to the skies silently smiley when you need it?

He he

I expected that so I tottered off for brekkie whilst it gathered momentum

:)

I only do sliders in the gentleman's scale, up scaled they'd prolly be too draughty for the crew

Its a scale thang innit

;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Anyone else want to tell me how to build my model?

must                                      

resist                                    

the                                          

urge          

:door:

• Like 8