ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

On 2/15/2017 at 1:00 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Some matelots refer to their ship's primary weapon as 'the paraffin parrot', if that counts.

Normally during ships' cleaning stations...

"Sorry lads, go to go polish the parrot" as the primary excuse to slope off from cleaning their part of ship.

On another note, this thread is distracting.

Just up in the Islands, and looking at aeronautical stuff, where civilian huey's reside and I'm drawn to the tail systems and spidery arrangements! Most fascinating and distracting from the real job at hand...

The photos of the TR Vs SHAR incident are superb. A great example of flight deck dangers. Having physically heard the sound that propellers make when slicing into aluminium, it isn't nice at all!

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

While you're working on the underside of the stub wings, you are filling in the light in the leading edge of the starboard one, aren't you, and have already added the recessed light in the rear of the sponson instead, haven't you?

The short answer is yes, and no.  I know about the starboard stub wing light, but - though the instructions have a lamp for the underside of the starboard sponson - I cannot find any evidence for that light on an HAS5, nor do I have any memory of one.  I can see a vague thing which may or may not be in some pictures of HAS6s and Baggers, but not Mk.5s.  Quite a few HAS5s had MAD sponsons to starboard anyway, and they certainly didn't have any right in them.  So I am going to fill the starboard stub wing light, yes, but have already filled the starboard sponson hole.  If i am wrong, I am wrong, but I am certainly not undoing the filling operation now!  Sue me...

• Like 1

Ah well!  So I'll have to build another one to be completely accurate.  (I won't tell if you don't...)

Tail warning marks, now with their black borders - Xtradecal black stripes, always invaluable.

32574808190_df59eb7369_b.jpg

P.S. while we're on, I am not sure how well this shows up on iPhone pictures.  I am always rather wary of single-colour schemes, because it is very easy for them to look too uniform to be remotely realistic.  So the three parts of the airframe that have been painted in fact have 3 different colours - the RAF BG base, plus a darker version which contains some FS15042 Sea Blue and a lighter version which contains some FS35164 Intermediate Blue (both convenient US colours from a Mr Color US Navy set).  The two non-base colours are applied pretty randomly, in squiggles.  Anyway, I think it will make a much more visible difference when done on the larger scale of the fuselage side.  It's one of those things that is overdone if you notice it, if you see what I mean, but you'd miss it if it weren't there.

32955560725_cef6208465_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

32120165083_2137cb84a0_h.jpg

Imaginative use of large bore reinforced fuel hose (automotive for the use of), cable ties (many) and PR1422?

Nice to see the defence budget spent on hi-tech gizmology. ;)

Dave

...a-a-a-a-and here we go.

This time round I am not proposing to post anything like so many progress shots of the rivets; you've seen it all before.  I will show you when sections are finished, but if I document the process in such detail as last time my page count will explode the Mods' heads!

But, for the record, here is the start of the (final??) riveting process.  It is built on a bed of lacquer (Mr Color) paint, which is far more durable and thus ought not to peel off so readily when the carrier film is removed.  once it is all in place there will be a coat of varnish on top to protect things, and then some weathering to tone things down.  The major markings (roundels, side numbers) are going to be painted on using a set of Maketar masks that arrived yesterday, since that will allow the rivets to continue across them too, which they do in real life.  I am convinced this will give me the look I have been after all this time - and frankly if it doesn't I am running with it anyway, or I will never finish this cab!

So here you are: Phase 2 of the madness re-commenced here today.

32801941262_b2e0f29605_b.jpg

• Like 10

Madness?

No, simply total desire to please your audience Crisp and this is going to be THE crowd pleaser of them all

I'm thinking similar variations for when I redo my Wessex HAS3 and the Wasp

That RAF BG is a very dense colour mass isn't it?

Rivets on please skipper

b

• Like 1

Those Fasteners on the stub are   Hi-Loks ,could be Hi-Lites  although Hi-Lites was more of a Llynx thing.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hendie said:

who's Dan ?  and where is he ?

hmphhhhh Martian, I'm surprised you let that one pass you by

Gone aft looking for GER................And one comment late by the looks of it !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Not much time at the bench today - too nice outside, for once.  But here is a pattern of 0.4mm Aizu tape that you might recognise on the Barn Door:

32159392153_df35980f2b_b.jpg

...oh, and you guys were spookily right about Dan's mate...

32130573584_acf1e77985_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

Spooky or what huh?

Aizu tape

How the merry hell do you get the stuff to unwind from the little dispenser from hell?

I have just about consigned mine to histerics... oops I mean history

Ger And Dan seem to be not far away from each other

I personally hope they NEVER meet

Just because...

• Like 1

I swear by Aizu, though I agree it does take a degree of patience.  I have no dispenser, from Hell or anywhere else; just a roll of thin tape.  I used a shed-load of it when masking the lines on Ark's flight deck, and maybe that taught me the technique.  New scalpel blade; add length of tape using enough excess to provide control; trim very gently with blade.  You waste a fair amount, but there is nothing else like it; I can't get on with the Jammy Dogs equivalent - different material which seems prone to bleeding (which is kind of fatal when the tape is only 0.4mm wide in the first place!)

• Like 2

Yes, that is quite spooky.  

Not much done today, but this is where we are heading with the rivets:

32180030953_ce4f02ce27_b.jpg

Elsewhere, I have finally fitted the sonar body.  I used AK Interactive's "Worn Effects" fluid to get the battered and scratched look of the bottom, which is what the original always looked like.  Not used it much, but I am pretty happy with the result:

32180030693_f3aebf7b29_b.jpg

Once the glue has cured fully, this will disappear under Eduard's PE blanking plate (for the AEW cab; all Sea Kings, regardless of mark, are built with a sonar well - thus proving that all Sea Kings are really Pingers at heart) to protect it while painting etc.

32150499584_c5c8dfec32_b.jpg

I have also added tiny (& thus nigh impossible to photograph) attachment plates for the HF aerial steadying lines, plus the fuel jettison pipe down by the tail wheel.  The only thing still remaining before I prime the fuselage is to fit the pilots' windows - might even get to it tomorrow, though I have another big week coming up, with two more short list job interviews on Tuesday & Thursday (one of them for a real doozy of a job).

More soon

Crisp

• Like 8

If it's THAT good I hope they grab you whilst you are still available mon cher

I need to ask how do we get coloured rivets on the colourful 'passages'?

I've been worriting about this very much lately

Both sets of tail pylons look rather tasty by the way...

• Like 1

... and now we REALLY start looking like a proper Sea King:

32629317050_fa8b640d29_b.jpg

32855753042_05b9c149b1_b.jpg

32629316480_03fb762b47_h.jpg

I wasn't going to glue the sponsons on at this stage, but with all the aerials, protrusions and other lumps & bumps, it is becoming harder and harder to handle safely, so I think it's time to get her standing on her own three legs.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 9