ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

The fuselage seems nice & stable, to the point where the dry fitted boat hull was just sitting in place, so I went ahead and glued it as well.  Note the sonar well fitted - luckily Hasegawa still include the (rather rudimentary) parts for the SH-3D sonar, despite this being nominally a SAR kit (which thus has a blanking plate for the sonar well).  As markdipXV711 discovered before me, their idea of a sonar body is pretty laughable (even allowing for the fact that it's meant to be the US sonar, not a 195 / 2069 body).  So I chopped it off and will scratch something rather more British looking.

Anyway, a boat hull, earlier today:

32670321725_e8a91db4ff_b.jpg

The only really nasty bit of fit is around the tail wheel - but easily fixable:

32291343190_756f883911_b.jpg

When I started this kit Martian warned me that he'd had some horrible fit issues, so I have been a.) paranoid and b.) extra careful throughout, and thus far it seems to have paid off.

Still, just when you thought it was all going too well...

32291342910_140c9c7233_b.jpg

Oops.  Luckily you can still get at it through a hole in the top of the Dog Kennel (behind the rotor head), so no great harm done!

This really will be the final post today.  Very happy with major progress.

Crisp

Edit: one more photo - some more dry fitting.  Hats off to Hasegawa; at least they got the radar to look right.

32548558271_58da943035_b.jpg

I am not quite whistling and making wistful wokka-wokka noises, but it's close!

P.S.  There is one more piece of work I did today, namely to take my trusty micro-chisel and carefully scrape the depressions in the nose to countersink the two PE grilles which will fit there - Hasegawa actually provide 2 rather nice PE grilles of their own for this (not sure why they picked these two and left the half dozen others dotted about the airframe, but let's be thankful for small mercies).  I haven't fitted the PE yet, because I want to be sure that the all filling and sanding activity is complete before I do that - similarly re-gluing the starboard nose Orange Crop aerial, which came off a few days ago.  I have it safe, so it will make its way back onto the airframe in due course.

32291771640_088e47fdba_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 13

I am glad your experience with the fit of the boat hull is way better than mine was. I hope I just had a duff kit as I have another lurking in the loft for an Aussie cab.

Martian

• Like 2

Looking extra scrumptious this morning, Crisp :Tasty:. My sincere apologies for the completely unintentional double post on the previous page - I think that I thought that I had pressed the 'edit' button, when in fact it looks as though I had merely started editing the stuff that the version 4 editor 'saves' from a previous post... Me culpa for not checking carefully :(.

+1 to what Jessica said - presumably the ding will be visible when looking up through the lower windscreen/open cockpit doorway.

Cheers,
Alex.

• Like 1

And lo from the fog appears the unmistakable figure of the RN's finest work horse. Smashing work so far, must feel like a huge milestone has been reached!

Bob

PS. will the boat hull be water tight or is that a step too far????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntPhillips said:

Anyone fancy doing it in 1:1 scale:

I have 94-96 ! 10 Cabs

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

And lo from the fog appears the unmistakable figure of the RN's finest work horse. Smashing work so far, must feel like a huge milestone has been reached!

Bob

PS. will the boat hull be water tight or is that a step too far????

Probably about as water-tight as the real thing, though I don't propose to test it!  At one stage I did consider building this as immediately after landing on following my ditching - i.e. piddling sea water everywhere and pilot's windows missing...  but eventually I decided to go for a more peaceful scene, with blanks in, Forth Road Bridge, tail rotor gust lock, chocks, 8 lashings and assorted RBF tags.  And no water.  

Anyone do a 1/48 comp wash rig?  Or a Grubber with a big hammer and an oily rag?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4

Comp wash rig....Don't remind me ! It was always bad weather, never hot and not something to rush and do quicker!

• Like 1

Looking good C..... remember if there is anything you need then just ask. I am about to start another mk6 in the next few weeks and still have some spare bits put aside just in case. I can't remember what type of stbd sponson you are fitting on your cab, but if you have a spare mad one ( that I can modify), I'll gladly swap, I even have two resin ones that came with the flightpath mk6 kit. I definately won't be copying your amazing rivet detail, due to time constraints ( and patience) but I am definately enjoying this WIP. Keep it up... brilliant :D

You'll probably find Hendie can help you with t'grubber and BFH, I'm sure he has suitable spares around after "THE EPIC"

I recall he had a handy line in blue roll too...

As we've all said, now we're cooking

Good to have her closed up

:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

I have been watching this build and not commenting because 'Wow' 'Looks good' and 'Wish I could do that' would get repetitive.

However...

Wow!  Looks good!  Wish I could do that!

• Like 2

As you say, it isn't an easy one to judge, but I think their Sea Searcher radome is right.

A couple of 820 cabs from ahead (Mk 6s, but no difference for these purposes):

32579489801_c990282665_b.jpg

An attempt at a similar angle:

32322508220_d16438f1a0_b.jpg

As further circumstantial evidence, I tried comparing Hasegawa's radome with the FlightPath resin job:

32579476091_ea2fa943b8_b.jpg

Allowing for the lack of resin carving to fit the FlightPath offering, I'd say that's pretty close (though to my eyes, the resin version is a bit too "square").

Finally...

32579475921_9928f3a099_b.jpg

The previous photo had the radome simply perched in roughly the right place, but no attempt had been made to align it carefully - and a few millimetres difference fore & aft makes a big difference in height.

So anyway, thanks - and definitely a fair challenge, because a lot of models do get the Sea Searcher wrong in slightly undefinable ways (they just don't look right; 1/72 not being my scale, maybe your experience suggests why).

Aside from that, I have been doing my habitual dry fitting to check alignment etc before committing to glue; this time the engine bays:

32322178830_c76159a2a6_b.jpg

32579124481_238a1b45a8_b.jpg

Fit pretty decent, but my eye fell upon those moulded grilles all along the top of the engines.  They must be an SH-3D thing, because they sure ain't there on a Westland version; the ECU doors have no grilles along their bottom edge when lowered, which is what these would be.  

So I masked all around them (in an attempt to preserve the panel lines etc.) and started building up Mr Dissolved Putty - a medium I don't use very often, but which from memory sands very nicely.

32579124051_06b65cd88d_h.jpg

That looks horrible, but about 80% of it is solvent; as it evaporates the grilles will re-appear, and tit will take several layers.

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

Are you keeping the top cowling surface scuffed like that? Looks very good. Had shiney SP80s (snap) and 85s (mush) heads where the black had been rubbed and  scuffed. They just get mistreated to get the platform in place. Stretching off the hand and foot holds.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, perdu said:

You'll probably find Hendie can help you with t'grubber and BFH

I think what Bill was so eloquently and thoughtfully trying to say (and I fully applaud him for doing so..) was: If hendie can scratch build a safety raiser, complete with kimwipe and 7UP cans in 1/48, then there's absolutely no reason a modeller, nay... an artist such as yourself who has shown such dexterity, such perseverance, such attention to detail, and such devotion to the cause, could not scratch together such an object of equipment as simple as a wash rig.  It should be as easy as falling off a sponson for a man of your ilk !

In fact Bill is so polite that he didn't go as low as to mention that hendie is an ex-

crab1giphy.gif

(though, not quite as ehrrr... flamboyant as that one above) and that you wouldn't want one of those to be upstaging you in any way now would you ?

That Bill is an awfully polite fellow isn't he ?

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Harley John said:

C'mon the crabs!!!

Now you're just getting silly; this is a Fleet Air Arm thread!

The eventual setting will be in Fly 1, alongside the island on a CVS, chain lashings (if I can think of a way of representing them convincingly - nylon if not), engine blanks, RBF tags, Forth Road Bridge gear and TR gust lock... but almost certainly not involving any figures.  Only time will tell how much of the ship I decide to portray.

Hendie, that Crab gif is as camp as Christmas.  Just saying...

bzn20, the scuffed cowling will be completely hidden underneath the front of the engines and the Barn Door structure.  I will be trying to keep the paint job as convincing as possible, and these cabs were beautifully looked after (they had to be, what with all that salt spray) - witness the fact that some of the original HAS1 airframes were still flying well over 40 years later.  Lots of exhaust staining, and if I can think of a way of representing the distinctive sheen of a protective oil wash, maybe some of that - but minimal scuffs and scratches through the paint surface, because that would be an insult to my esteemed former 820 Grubber colleagues.

• Like 5

I used to get them in at Westland's ,Weston-Super-mud for servicings,repairs and MODs. Every mark of RN Sea King Some weren't so pretty!

Keep the Crab baiting down too.....or I'll get my Observer's book of Fish 'eads out !  :D

• Like 5