ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

Hi Crisp, those weapons pylons do look rather tasty. You ASW guys, knew how to ugly up a cab, let alone the RAFBG you then went and dirtied then up with an oil wash, how disgusting. At least us Junglies used to wash and oil (hydraulic fluid hand appied via nice rag from the stores rag bag...) our cabs every Friday...

Colin

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well you see, that's what happens when you do something useful with an aircraft; you need something to hang weapons off.  When you're little more than a glorified van driver, your cab can stay all smooth.

Similarly with the oil washing; it's what you do to protect aircraft.  You know, like when they go actually go to sea, instead of loafing around in Somerset...?  

[Thanks!]

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Well you see, that's what happens when you do something useful with an aircraft; you need something to hang weapons off.  When you're little more than a glorified van driver, your cab can stay all smooth.

Similarly with the oil washing; it's what you do to protect aircraft.  You know, like when they go actually go to sea, instead of loafing around in Somerset...?  

[Thanks!]

Hi Crisp, gather what you are saying but when I was  Junglie, we were still down at Culdrose (next to 707 jus inside the airfield gate) and never cruised the downs of Somerset. However we did endeavour to keep our cabs in the best naval tradition, of ship shape and well tended. Maybe we did lollygag around a tad but then waitng for an 'ashore event' always was a problem for us... Still without the booties, we wouldn't have a had ajob at all!!!

Colin

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

is some teeny-tiny soldering action.

and a lovely action it was too.  

Watching all this constructive action going on, I'm almost missing building a fly-ey thing

• Like 2

Only teasing you, Colin; I went to war with the Bootnecks & Junglies (846 in Fearless in 82), so have the utmost respect for them, desoite my subsequent Pinger career.  I think the Royal Marines are the very best part of all our armed forces.

I have to say I didn't know that CU had ever hosted our Junglie brethren. 

• Like 2

Little more progress - this is the first weapon carrier finished (apart from the attachment brackets, of course).  7 pieces of PE here, plus a lump of white metal.

Since I have a reputation as a nutter to maintain, I have drilled a hole in each one - this shows a section of 0.4mm lead wire fed through said hole to show where a red wire will run in due course:

36570996792_7cd2e7c5ac_c.jpg

And here from end on (the rear, to be precise):

36570996362_8fa29f078a_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 12

On 8/22/2017 at 9:23 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Only teasing you, Colin; I went to war with the Bootnecks & Junglies (846 in Fearless in 82), so have the utmost respect for them, desoite my subsequent Pinger career.  I think the Royal Marines are the very best part of all our armed forces.

I have to say I didn't know that CU had ever hosted our Junglie brethren. 

Hi Crisp, yes Culdrose was always the ancestoral home of the junglies back to the Whirlwind days. It is only in recent years Yeovilton has become their home. And yes to the RM mention.

Colin

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

A Sea King modeller that needs his head examining?

Let the record state that you said that Crisp, not us.

Martian who had both his heads examined and was declared to be beyond all help.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I hope not, considering how many I've built/am building/have planned to build......

.....then, on the other hand, maybe I do......

It depends on whether they are all going to be crispinated or not.

Martian

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

crispinated

The start of a whole new lexicon.

Somanyinated on here though it would be unfair to give examples.

Perhaps we could have an icon to add when somebody is worthy of being inated

Back to the model though..weapons gubbins looking really good and I'm enjoying the banter too.

• Like 2

On 6 August 2017 at 0:11 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The Wheel at Cross Lanes!  Played many a gig there in my younger days.  Lots of lovely details in that picture - I love the L plate, the matelot safely perched on the engine bay door (Health & what?..), and the fact that they've rigged Forth Road Bridge AND tip socks  just in case!  Don't think I've ever seen the side number repeated on the rear of the sponson, either.

There's something very odd about that tail rotor; was that the problem that led to recovery by road?

Nice picture indeed, I think the tail rotor blades have been removed to allow passage

I think the tail rotor blades have been removed to allow road recovery, telephone wire tend to twang with a pussers helo attached. The guy on the trans deck probably has the dubious task of fending the wires off the Rotorhead. As for the Forth Road gear and tip sock with speader board, that's got to be some snot nosed DAEO insisting that belt, braces and ties are all applied.

Really liking the updates to your build, have you thought about putting the engine door retaining strap on? This was a canvas strap about six inches long and was attached to the starboard door, the door strap had a metal hook and hooked on the port engine door, a pain in the butt however it was the final fail safe if the engine door latch's failed, the fact the latch handle was under a duzs panel didn't alway help.

The SACRU, whilst I was on 820, was only fitted to embark/disembark from the carriers, Vertrep a go go, and yes it was a total pain to install, with the lanyard often being threaded through the sonar well and strapped onto the sonar operators table support. Quick, easy and not by the book, tick. Still, it lived by the 820 engineers moto "you play ball with us or we'll shove the bat up your ----.

• Like 4

A week has gone by, and this update feels like ridiculously small progress in that time - but what you are seeing actually represents version 3 or 4 of something small but important; the scrapped prototypes did not make it to being photographed.

I'm continuing to work on the weapon carriers - specifically the rear ones (Stations 3 & 4). I have already said, I think, that the Flightpath carriers are superb, but were clearly designed to be fitted on the forward stations, underneath each stub wing; you can tell by the shape of the brackets cast into the white metal section.

That won't work for the rear stations, because of the shape of the fuselage / boat hull at that point.  Here is a real one, seen from the rear…

36466284942_42a8162a03_b.jpg

…from the side & slightly below (sorry for dodgy photo; low light in FAA Museum):

36816347001_1156288365_b.jpg

…and from ahead…

36466284892_de817eb6fa_b.jpg

Note that:

1. the brackets both slope downwards from the carrier towards the boat hull

2. the rear bracket extends considerably behind the carrier, and the forward bracket ahead of it (to a lesser extent) - but neither bracket has much inside the carrier itself (when I come to do the forward carriers, you'll see that they are totally different)

3. the rear bracket is heavily scalloped on both the rear and under sides

4. the front bracket is essentially plates in a shape

5. for obvious reasons (like the shape of the fuselage) the rear bracket is a lot longer than the forward one

Here is where I have got to in 1/48 (you are looking from directly above the carrier and slightly ahead - imagine yourself sitting on the rescue hoist housing!)

36805437911_283ccca293_c.jpg

Front bracket, fitted to the carrier (still unfinished, but getting there) is an assembly of three small sections of plastic card welded together with MEK and then carved & sanded to shape.  It still needs a little more taking off the top edge to fair it better into the shape of the hull.  [Alas, I don't have enough hands to show this in place against the Sea King and photo it at the same time, so you'll have to trust me on this one!]

On the cutting mat behind is the rear bracket, which was shaped from a length of square section thick plastic rod, using my faithful micro-chisels.  You are seeing it as if from c45 degrees and below; the upper scallop you see is the rear face, and the lower as we look is the underside [are you still following me?].  You can also just see a brass pin that I have CA'd into a hole drilled in the white metal; this matches up with a hole in the rear bracket.  This rear bracket is (deliberately) too long at present; the only way I can think of to get its accurate is to fettle the front end until the whole carrier lines up correctly, and then measure the rear bracket accurately - there are just too many odd angles to work it out from scratch (side of boat hull slopes top to bottom, and also front to back, and the bracket is also not straight in either axis - my trigonometry gave up some time ago).

So that's it!  Two tiny pieces of white plastic.  But it's all progress.

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 14

I can sympathise about the slow progress Crisp, my SH-34 too seems to be at a similar stage, where every small detail takes an age to make. Plus such details are always the ones that one needs multiple copies of!

Sympathetic of Mars

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I can sympathise about the slow progress Crisp, my SH-34 too seems to be at a similar stage, where every small detail takes an age to make. Plus such details are always the ones that one needs multiple copies of!

Sympathetic of Mars

and he didn't even offer to help you hold it to take pics! The one person creature with hands to spare! 

Still, it  does look like a rather time consuming, task. I don't envy you, but at least it's not in 1:72!

Ian

• Haha 5

What can a chap say huh?

That is a superb piece of micro-chiselling, I'm becoming a massive micro-chisel fan, wow don't they do the trick huh

These carriers look marvellous, brilliant work going on there Crisp

I love it

• Like 1