ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

Fair challenge, @CJP, but real life is a bit in the way at present - usual nonsense; job hunting, aged Mum, etc.  Nithing unusual, but all needs doing.

i confess that I am also having a bit of a lull in the mojo at present; it feels as though I have beem wrestlingbwith tiny details for weeks, with not iuch to show for it (I know that when I check back, I find that in relity there has been a fair amount of progress, but that isn't how it feels - probably the result of so much prototype-test-bin-try again-new version-still not right etc repetitive work.

I am seriously considering putting the Sea King aside for a wee while and doing a quick, mojo-restoring, fun build that doesn't involve mega-detailing and scratch building.  The Sea King is so dear to my heart, for obvious reasons, that I really don't want it to turn into a chore.

So watch this space in a few days; I'll either feel better as life gets back to normal, and re-start ZE419 immediately, or still feel in need of a break…

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Fair challenge, @CJP, but real life is a bit in the way at present - usual nonsense; job hunting, aged Mum, etc.  Nithing unusual, but all needs doing.

i confess that I am also having a bit of a lull in the mojo at present; it feels as though I have beem wrestlingbwith tiny details for weeks, with not iuch to show for it (I know that when I check back, I find that in relity there has been a fair amount of progress, but that isn't how it feels - probably the result of so much prototype-test-bin-try again-new version-still not right etc repetitive work.

I am seriously considering putting the Sea King aside for a wee while and doing a quick, mojo-restoring, fun build that doesn't involve mega-detailing and scratch building.  The Sea King is so dear to my heart, for obvious reasons, that I really don't want it to turn into a chore.

So watch this space in a few days; I'll either feel better as life gets back to normal, and re-start ZE419 immediately, or still feel in need of a break…

My attempt at a light hearted comment - not a challenge at all! - I have been an admiring follower your Sea King build and like logging on and looking as it progresses - I think we all have periods of loss of mojo - you've certainly set yourself a high standard - I have had times where I have picked up a model and done it more damage than progress and had to put it down and walk away for a few days or longer - in fact I have a Hasegawa F4U4 build that stalled about 14 years ago I'm guessing!

CJP

• Like 2

Ditto the lull

Hence I'm trying to batter my way though it with extra work loading myself

I found I needed a slightly different task to get on with in lo-mojo times

Still no progress on the job front then Crisp, I hope that situation changes for the better soon

Or today!

• Like 3

We all go through these phases Crisp, especially on a long project. Put it aside for a bit and have some fun, it sounds like you need it. Besides, plugging away at something when you are not enjoying it is a sure fire way to mess up your model; been there, got the tee shirt etc.

The mojo will return, I promise you.

Martian

• Like 4

This thing is a hobby and always plays second fiddle to real life as it should do, better to take a break if you need to than ruin a masterpiece at this late stage. I find when a build has been going on for months I get envious of my satisfaction as a nipper of how good a build looked after slapping it together in an afternoon! 

• Like 5

Thanks, everyone.  I have made up my mind; the Sea King will be resting for a while.

Watch this space for my mojo-restorer - but something I have seen in another thread suggests that it will be a subject that pleases our be-tentacled friend.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

- but something I have seen in another thread suggests that it will be a subject that pleases our be-tentacled friend.

A 1:48th scale bowl of Angel Delight per chance?

You're doing the right thing with taking a break from the Sea King build, it's intensive enough watching it!

Are you looking for work in flying? I only ask as UAS/UWAS seem to have a few ex- FAAWAFUs in the system, we're lucky enough to be regularly beguiled by an ex Wessex & Wasp driver!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alas, no flying; I was grounded by arthritis in 1996 (the main - though not only - reason I left when I did).  Modern drugs have it under control, but there's no way I'd pass a Class 1 medical.

Since the RN I've been a Management Consultant for 15 years and a CEO for 5; it'll be one or other of those, depending on which one gets a bite first!

• Like 3

Good decision Crisp.  I agree with the chaps - the Sea King is way too impressive to be tackling with anything short of 100% enthusiasm - poor choices would follow.

Looking forward to the mojo-restorer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Wise words Crisp

• Like 1

Fully understand the mojo loss. If you want a fun, no hassle build then go ahead and do it :nod:. We will all be here when you come back.

My suggestion is to do something way out of your normal stuff. I dunno, a Tamiya Willys Jeep, Airfix Anne Boleyn, or a Takom Sherman maybe. Just so long as you glue and paint as per instructions!

Trevor

• Like 3

I have to admit to being a bit dashed at the postponement of one of the all time great builds but fully understand where you're coming from Crisp.  I got a bit jaded towards the end of my Wessex build and you've put a lot more detail into this than I did on the Wessi. 

I will look forward to the interim entertainment and await the resumption of this build at a future date

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1

Trevor do you really want him to worry about following instructions slavishly?

nah

just get something vaguely interesting and throw the glue and paint at it

Airfix's Anne Boleyn sounds different enough, if not exactly available at every Woolworth any more

Enjoy the break Crisp, we'll all be very happy when the Sea King comes back to town

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:17 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Thanks, everyone.  I have made up my mind; the Sea King will be resting for a while.

Watch this space for my mojo-restorer - but something I have seen in another thread suggests that it will be a subject that pleases our be-tentacled friend.

Good luck with mojo-restoration and job hunting Crisp - I recently decided I needed a paint mule so I got an old Frog Firefly MK1 out of the stash and threw it together in one evening, no filler and just started testing paint colours - even sprayed over the canopies - it was fun to do and took me  back to my early modelling years.

CJP

IMG_5791.jpg

PS - it even has one of those good old FROG swivelling stands

Edited by CJP
  • Like 5

Ditto wot they all said, Crisp. The AccrursèdSeafire dealt my micro-modelling a severe blow from which it hasn't quite recovered, so I fully empathise. Like you, I've got a (hopefully) restorative kit out of the cache - a somewhat more mainstream kit (at a larger scale to boot), for the Floatplane GB.

Also like everyone else, I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do as a 'sabbatical' :).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

My curiosity knows no bounds! Come on, spill the beans! :poke:

Martian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had to get in to your activity to find out where this had gone. Been looking all over the place. Looked in the RFI forum ,no . Four pages of my content ,no.

CSI Ex-FAAWAFU.....sneak in to his activity...Found it. End Ex !

BTW I found your Mojo..it was in the first 100 pages of this WIP!!

• Like 1