ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

OK Crisp fingers still cruciform for now

No probs as its for you

as for the Sea Vixen's wing fold and a possible natural metal 'look', doesn't look like it from this

P1130058.jpg

I think I detect hours of fun ahead

unless or even IF I buy the Airwaves sets

Light Admiralty Grey with some kind of heavy anti corrrosion gunge on the retract machinery?

Any road this stuff can wait a while, lets get Crisp back at the bench and grafting hard

I do love those tractors, it must be residual AA Patrol-ly genetics

• Like 3

Nice pic of the Stingray, suspension bands etc - I assume at Aur Day, since she's outside.  I have only ever seen that airframe indoors, either in the main museum or Cobham Hall (reserve collection), so it's always been hard to get enough light for a clear shot.  Clear view of the Collector Can from the port engine, too (see somewhere earlier in this thread if you need details!)

As for Vixen, I think your Light Admiralty Grey plus retraction gunge recipe sounds about right.  FAW1 or 2?  The 1 is so much prettier....

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

She actually was inside if this is the same airframe (cannot remember seeing two in RAFBG to be honest)

First hangar on the right walking from the gate towards the pan

Mysteriously curtained off rear of the hangar too, I wanted to tweak the curtains but my mate Bill McK warned me off

"bad form for that guy to have to shoot you on a public day!"

So I didn't  :)

P1120970.jpg

I perzoom these are early blades, that looks like the BIMs that Hendie introduced me to in his Wessex build

semi-matt tan fibreglass rotor head dome?

First time I've noticed that detail on a Sea King, always thought it should be RAFBG all over

:(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It's looking v promising; I'll find out for sure on Monday or Tuesday

Wot no more riveting marathons ?

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:52 PM, perdu said:

BIMs

Not BIMs please..Had enough of them  on our H/copter phase in training...Question paper four choice, vote for Joe gig ....

Are BIMs....

A  red and white

B black and White

C red and Black 

D Black and Yellow

Answer they wanted was B

BUT on the H/copter phase table was a BIM from 19 canteen and a newer one  B and A were both sat there...... Everybody got either A or B ...massive row, Instructor was about to call an armed response..

Question paper went to RAF Halton's  Question Command.....after an hour news came back...We were all correct but question scrubbed as it was incorrectly set !

You never beat them !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

On 7/29/2017 at 2:34 PM, perdu said:

as for the Sea Vixen's wing fold and a possible natural metal 'look', doesn't look like it from this...

I think that I have just spent 5mins perving at the geometry of that locking mechanism. The chap on the right is potentially doing the same thing.

Serious engineering.

• Like 1

I am considering NOT getting the Airwaves set but that complex widget is complicating the decision

Like the chap 'on screen' Bill2 and I spent many a happy minute tracing and assessing the locks in there

( maybe I should elaborate here, in our branch of the Midget And Sprite Club there are two Bills..

I was the area rep, then chairman for a while so I claimed 'Bill1' natch)

The wing fold is a thing of mechanical beauty, how could I not want to tackle that?

:)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, perdu said:

P1120970.jpg

I perzoom these are early blades, that looks like the BIMs that Hendie introduced me to in his Wessex build

semi-matt tan fibreglass rotor head dome?

First time I've noticed that detail on a Sea King, always thought it should be RAFBG all over

Yes, metal blades with BIMs (appropriate for an early Mk5).  Nice clear view of the da-glo red droop stops, and of the white pitch change rod on No 5 blade.  It's painted white to assist the deck crew; when it aligns with the white stripe painted on the side of the dog kennel, it means that the head is in the right place for folding.

Not convinced about the dome.  I agree it looks tan in this shot (though could that just be dust on an airframe that hasn't flown in many years?).  However, even if this one is tan (& my many pics of the same cab don't show the same thing), your initial instinct was right; in service it was always the same colour as the airframe (i.e. RAF BG, light grey or green. Or yellow if Crustacean).  I have lots of Sea King photos that show this, but I'm away from home today, with only iPad, so don't have them to hand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

The wing fold is a thing of mechanical beauty, how could I not want to tackle that?

The very thought I had when looking at the Sea King head...

Ahem.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I am considering NOT getting the Airwaves set but that complex widget is complicating the decision

Like the chap 'on screen' Bill2 and I spent many a happy minute tracing and assessing the locks in there

( maybe I should elaborate here, in our branch of the Midget And Sprite Club there are two Bills..

I was the area rep, then chairman for a while so I claimed 'Bill1' natch)

:)

Do you want me to send you  the Airwaves wingfold set  for an appraisal Bill?

If you like it you can keep it.

I've a High Planes and a Frog to do up as FAW.1s in the future but tbh I think a better wingfold can be scratch-built.

• Like 1

Thank you for that kind offer Tony but the fact is I think I can do without it

Even as is the fold area needs depth that the set doesn't seem likely to allow

Those little rods and pistons would need making round to start with

🙅

Crisp, I see the beauty, but in 72th scale

You'd be a better man than m anybody....

😱

• Like 4

14 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Not in a heavy salt water atmosphere or anywhere else . Can you imagine the corrosion ? They (fold joints/end wing ribs)

might even be enamelled, paint baked on . NMF Navy jets is not something seen for that reason, even in the shiny jet world of the 50s.

The only part of an landing gear that isn't painted is the shiny,mirror finish fescalised  portion of the oleo and other jack rams otherwise there would be a leak/friction/out of tolerance /just wouldn't work.

Apologies and to @AlexN, one of those senior moments of getting my two favorite types mixed up! As Perdy has pointed out SV wing interior is mainly a light grey finish.

Gannets folds were generally silver, I did mean metal finish rather than unfinished metal!

I did have a MGL from XJ575 and there was no sign of paint or primer on it, but it was lagged in old preserving wax, also knew of a supply of legs and wheels in boxes, again no evidence of paint, maybe painted before fitting?

With the two previous Vixen pics, they both have port side EDSG top drop tanks, I suspect that they have standard 200 gal fitted stb'd side and 150 gal Hunter type on port side

Let sanity with the Sea King and tug resume!

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I think you've got the wrong thread - indeed, probably the wrong forum, mate

I was given to understand that sanity was frowned upon on this forum, if not banned outright!

Martian

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Does the forum have some sort of sanity clause?!

I think it must have as there don't seem to be many who slip through Mike's security checks.

Martian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:42 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

of the white pitch change rod on No 5 blade

#2 blade, if you lined it up with #5 blade you would have a big hairy a***d grubber chief calling you every name under the sun! The beany should be blue, I think it is just flooded with the orange glow of the hangar lights. And @perdu please don't waste money on the Airwaves set, from past experience it would be far easier to build it up from scratch.

Cheers now

Bob

Oh @Ex-FAAWAFU lovely tractor by the way (I knew there was a reason why I was following this thread!:winkgrin:)

• Like 3

No worries Bob, the Airwaves set is not getting used

As the Sea King was very shiny I didn't think the rotor cover (beany?) was going to have been left dusty

You have those 'petty' blokes to keep everything ship-shape don't (didn't) you?

• Like 2

On 30/07/2017 at 07:34, perdu said:

OK Crisp fingers still cruciform for now

No probs as its for you

as for the Sea Vixen's wing fold and a possible natural metal 'look', doesn't look like it from this

P1130058.jpg

I think I detect hours of fun ahead

unless or even IF I buy the Airwaves sets

Light Admiralty Grey with some kind of heavy anti corrrosion gunge on the retract machinery?

Any road this stuff can wait a while, lets get Crisp back at the bench and grafting hard

I do love those tractors, it must be residual AA Patrol-ly genetics

This's such an excellent photo that I felt compelled to repeat it - even at the risk of invoking Crispin's wrath. You can never have too many copies of this photo. :Tasty: 

• Haha 1

On 26/07/2017 at 8:00 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

First round of chipping done; this one to make sections of bare steel show through the yellow.

That's a startlingly good looking effect :thumbsup:

Heard yet?

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

[Nothing heard yet.  I'll let you know once I know.  Frustrating, innit?]

The tractor and tow bar have had their green coat, and I've done the first bit of weathering.  There is always a balance with this method; leave it too long and removing the paint can be really hard (usually resulting in frustration, so you rub too hard, then suddenly it all comes away in a rush) - equally, do it too soon after spraying the top coat and the paint is still soft, so it's easy to over do it.

In one obvious place the paint was obviously still soft, since we have a too large patch of yellow on the top (obvious in the second picture).  That's easy enough to fix, but it needs to wait until everything has dried.  But that apart I am pretty pleased with where this is going.  As you can see if you look in close-up, there is still water lying about; these photos are hot off the presses!

35918283780_5bf2b8b0c8_c.jpg

35476598694_04a7b0f477_c.jpg

It won't really show up properly until everything is dry, but already you can see that the wear by the driver's feet and the filler cap at the back end are both showing some steel patches through the yellow & green coats.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 10