ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

Those Tail lock lugs/eye ends had to be hand filed on build to fit to the locked position (because they don't !) and checked with Feeler Gauges, took ages. Could got out of tolerance (which is 0.0 something of an inch) in one bad move. Then it's curtains!

• Like 3

On 18 December 2016 at 0:28 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Keeping the US Navy dry following prohibition is one of those odd quirks of history that makes little sense.  They do carry alcohol - they're allowed a drink after 100 days continuously at sea, or something like that - but for some odd reason almost never use it.  As a result their sailors get into all sorts of bother ashore when they over-correct when out of the habit.  

On the other hand my father was impressed when embarking 'somewhere in England' (actually a spot on the South Coast one of unit was totally familiar with and amused himself telling officers exactly where they were!) to find US ships had taps every few yards with proper coffee on tap - sadly he brought most of it up from the seas in July 44!

• Like 4

More small details which gradually take the build forward.

Firstly, the horizontal stabiliser is now almost quilted up:

31038936403_1535bf6f00_b.jpg

Then the IRGB  is now complete, awaiting a coat of paint:

31038936273_1358fb067d_b.jpg

The platform on which it will sit is duly be-rivetted, soon to be painted Interior Green:

31038936143_5848c2505c_b.jpg

Finally - someone (I forget who, but it must have been someone who has worked on Sea Kings a lot) asked me aeons ago - when I was still doing the drawings, I think - about the bonding straps that are a feature of the aircraft's port side.  These prove the adage that a Sea King is x-thousand rivets in close formation, because they exist to prevent a build-up of static electricity between the various panels of the tail, and are quite prominent once you know what you are looking for.

Real bonding straps - the two double dots above & to the left of the SEA KING caption:

31455475980_7874c857e0_b.jpg

My effort at reproducing them, which I think will look good under paint:

31848667205_e157d6a053_b.jpg

Happy Christmas, everyone - I doubt there will be more work done now until Boxing Day at the earliest.

Crisp

• Like 13

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:10 PM, moaning dolphin said:

Trivia alert!! Why only on the port side though??

Looking right tasty now!

Bonding is bonding. If its in contact, IE no paint the (electrical, prevents static build up and sparking)) bonding continues around the airframe. It was me WAAFU btw ! They look good. L59 (almost pure Ally) soft to really sit on the airframe , joggled in some areas, SP80s and a washer under the head. We had to drill out the rivets put in on a previous build sheet/ Op cab build , take the paint off on the skin contact area and rivet (up a size 5/32") the Bonding straps, joggle if required.  Alachrom 1200 and re prime.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 6

I spent years trying to find out why and then I found a wise old Pinky Chief (old and pinky were easy but wise! I really did struggle!) It is apparently to provide a good backdrop to the HF aerial, hence they are only found around the area of the aerial. :D 

You would not believe how long I have been waiting to dispense of that knowledge, years have passed waiting for it to pop up in conversation lol!!

Very nicely represented by the way!

Merry Crimbo

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 6

That is Zebedee, the killer attack stunt hound that is a Sporting Lucas Terrier.  I love him to bits.

Anyway.

I have now pretty much finished the tail pylon; this shows the small flash of pink through the IRGB oil sight glass, plus the visible presence of... something gear-boxy through the mesh, that is the effect I was after:

31083860993_53375aafa2_b.jpg

So no longer any excuses for not closing the pylon up.  Some seams to sort, plus another grille or two on top at the TRGB end, but getting there.  The assortment of colours used to check seams make this look a right mess, but it's OK in real life.

31083860573_7c8e0ee38c_b.jpg

31083859913_81c2b3e173_b.jpg

31083859433_8fafa1f506_b.jpg

Now I just need to sort out the join seam up the spine, so it has a sausage of Vallejo putty on it drying.

Crisp

• Like 9

Apart from the rivets.................You absolutely nailed that pylon, outstanding work and the end plate with flutes too. BTW Your grills are better than Westlands !

• Like 1

A bit of old-fashioned dry brushing to bring out the detail - the raised bumps are added Micro-Mark decals, cut down, but the rest is all FlightPath:

31070640254_98437f9cb9_b.jpg

A couple of Peter's irreplaceable data placards and then  just the hinges to scratch build.  You can't see it in this phot, but the seam up the spine has been filled and sanded.

Crisp

P.S. As a reminder, I am trying to build the right-hand side of this:

30986649064_5d6b93f665_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 8

On that real pylon pic.. The bit that's been filed flat on the pylon locking pin eye ends, top on bottom, are what had to be made to fit. You can see how much was taken out. On the cab side ,left that's where the feeler went to get the measurement.

No Robots required for this Op !

• Like 4

On 12/27/2016 at 16:45, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

P.S. As a reminder, I am trying to build the right-hand side of this:

You seem to be making a decent fist of it!

Martian

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone.  

Placards duly added, and while everything dries around the pylon, a quick move to the other part of this folding tail malarkey.

With the tail folded (i.e. as I intend to finish this model), the real thing looks like this:

31455475980_7874c857e0_b.jpg

Mr Hasegawa, clearly intending that you will be building the aircraft with tail spread, gives you this as the starting point:

31107137143_405e732836_b.jpg

More a sort of impression of a folding hinge rather than anything else - but could be made perfectly adequate with some fettling for a spread aircraft.  Hopeless for a folded one, though.

The short section of Albion Alloys tubing (0.6 inside 0.8 inside 1.0mm) seen above the tail gives you the clue as to how I proposed to tackle this.  The only only difficult part was drilling a suitable vertical hole to fit the 1.0mm section, but once that had been achieved it was pretty simple.  Here is the final outcome, with which I am pretty pleased:

31799917921_1f869a2427_b.jpg

Much crisper definition, I think you'll agree (no pun intended).

We're going away to Holland for New Year, so I only have one more day of modelling left this holiday.

Onwards and upwards.  

Crisp

• Like 15