ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

Lovely jubbly.Do like my seakings!!.Will pull up a chair and watch with interest.

Richard.

• Like 1

From the previous Seaking GB is this poor rendition, unfortunately it is still clear as mud! A good bit of advice may be to start with #1 blade and work up from there :wicked: . Any wire on the head will have to be thin to keep it within a decent scale size.

100_3281_zps113bf6d9.jpg

I do have a break down of the components for the droop stops and flapping restrainers. Its not greatly detailed but gives an idea of the shapes and how it goes together. I will post that a bit later when I get home. I may be able to get a better picture of the above or at least zoom in to a certain part.

Happy building :thumbsup:

Bob

• Like 2

Nothing like the King!

I have one built (CH-124A) and 3 more in the stash, a MK43A, an SH-3D and an SH-3H, if I ever have the time.

Looking forward to seeing this build progress!

• Like 1

From the previous Seaking GB is this poor rendition, unfortunately it is still clear as mud! A good bit of advice may be to start with #1 blade and work up from there :wicked: . Any wire on the head will have to be thin to keep it within a decent scale size.

100_3281_zps113bf6d9.jpg

I do have a break down of the components for the droop stops and flapping restrainers. Its not greatly detailed but gives an idea of the shapes and how it goes together. I will post that a bit later when I get home. I may be able to get a better picture of the above or at least zoom in to a certain part.

Happy building :thumbsup:

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Though blurred, that does at least answer one of my questions, which was how many lines go to No 1 blade. (For the non-Sea King types out there, No 1 blade is the only one that doesn't fold; the first phase of the fold sequence is for there hydraulics to position that blade so that it points straight down the spine of the aircraft). Looks like just the one from the oil reservoir to the feathering and flapping hinges, which makes sense. Kudos to Hasegawa; they have at least moulded a blob in the approximate position of the snappily-titled "Sleeve & Trunnion Oil Tank".

That diagram also helps me to start separating the lines which lubricate the various hinges and dampers from those which are purely for blade fold.

All contributions gratefully received!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

I think I prefer the socks to the Forth road bridge!

...and I think you might get your wish; the FRB gear was designed to give the blades more support in high winds etc on deck (and thus reduce the risk of a blade getting damaged by hitting the tail, or whatever, while flapping about). As such it kept the blades much straighter than the tip socks, but Hasegawa seem to have moulded the blades with droop (which is good, since Sea King blades droop a lot), so I am already thinking along tip sock lines rather than FRB.

Still, at least I am building a Mk5, which had metal blades, so no need to change the blades to composite ones.

• Like 1

BINGO! I knew I had it somewhere, and of course it is in the Haynes Manual - a stunning reference for anyone building a Sea King (and highly recommended even if you are not building one).

A1F4E07E-2E1B-474B-B19A-470E55B734ED_zps

I doubt I will get a clearer picture than this, especially since this one has the blades removed.

Note the two softwood wedges (just to the left of the figure 16) to ensure that absolutely nothing moves while they are working on it. Naval engineering; subtle and full of finesse!

No, I will not be attempting to reproduce this in completely faithful detail.

Incidentally, figs 6 & 7 show the two sections of a droop stop (doing its job of preventing the blade root from dropping). Note to Hasegawa; this is not really an amorphous plate thing, now is it?

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

A question for people. I know there are lots of people on here who know every bit as much about helicopters as I do. Equally, there are a lot who know very little - including some aviators who seem to regard them as a cross between a Device of Beelzebub and one of Heath Robinson's more dangerous jokes (you know who you are, Debs...).

I REALLY don't want to patronise anyone, but if people want I will attempt to explain what some of this mundungus actually does. Please tell me to STFU if I am teaching you to suck eggs.

Not to mention the fact that I am digging stuff out from a part of my brain unused in almost 20 years!

You're too intimate with the subject, I would just hide all that detail under the hat!

Not going to happen!

Yes, it is partly because I am too intimate with it - but it's for that reason that most Sea King models just don't look right to me; the rotor head just looks completely wrong with no pipework at all. As I said, there is no way I am going to reproduce that faithfully, but if it doesn't look convincing to me, then I will never be happy with it.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 10

Just in case it didn't come across, that is my humour :coolio:

I can tell from your Vixen build that I will look forward to seeing this modeled and detailed properly.

I would love to see all the accompanying tech information, I always regarded the helicopter as a frightening amount of machinery and energy in a small box!

I only got to ride in RAF Sea Kings, and BA S-61s and always admired the design.

• Like 2

Well im enjoying your technical jargon.Find it very interesting and informative.Ive got a fair few seakings to do as well.2 48th ones and several 72nd versions.Wiring that rotor head will be tricky im sure but im sure some liquid refreshment for courage will help!!

Richard.

• Like 1

A thoroughly engaging read. Ex-WAAFU, were you serving in HMS Fearless on the DTS W.Indies cruise '82 pre FI - and if so was it you who posted the story about the Wessex 5 that suffered BER corrosive damage having been left out on deck in the middle of that extremely big storm we all went through?

BINGO! I knew I had it somewhere, and of course it is in the Haynes Manual - a stunning reference for anyone building a Sea King (and highly recommended even if you are not building one).

A1F4E07E-2E1B-474B-B19A-470E55B734ED_zps

I doubt I will get a clearer picture than this, especially since this one has the blades removed.

Note the two softwood wedges (just to the left of the figure 16) to ensure that absolutely nothing moves while they are working on it. Naval engineering; subtle and full of finesse!

No, I will not be attempting to reproduce this in completely faithful detail.

Incidentally, figs 6 & 7 show the two sections of a droop stop (doing its job of preventing the blade root from dropping). Note to Hasegawa; this is not really an amorphous plate thing, now is it?

More soon

Crisp

PM inbound :)

This is going to be very educating... please do enlighten us plank-wing folks as to what all that stuff is...apart from the obvious "bunch of stuff waiting for a chance to break" .....

Ian

• Like 1

fantastic stuff - there is nothing like tuning in to a build like this where you are actually building what you flew - not what you saw in a book, or on the internet, but something you felt, smelled and in the case of close proximity to water I don't doubt, tasted...

very visceral, and very enjoyable - I look forward to learning all about the airframe and your adventures

Peter

• Like 2

Crisp if you are inviting an invitation to give us a huge scad of learning stuff..

Please mister will you teach us lots and lots about the Sea King, please?

And as I have at least one HC4 in my immediate future and they were sort of nautical I suspect all that hydraumechanicalectrical rotor head stuff will be needed there too

And I'm a great believer of learning from the Master

Now who said throw a Brillo pad at it?

Could be highly prophetic when I get round to mine in the gentleman's scale

;)

• Like 4

well, I am looking forward to this one, that's for sure! (and all the pull up a sandbag stories that shall no doubt accompany the thread)

That gearbox and rotor head looks like a great challenge and I await with baited breath to see you duel with it

('n' great intro too!)

• Like 2

This is looking like an interesting subject, and thread, to follow!

Regarding elucidating us plebs on the topic and tales... please feel free to Dit us at your leisure!

These bits are what makes some of the BM threads "gold class" rather than a "bronze" (iykwim).

:popcorn:

• Like 1

A few years after 1988, in the early 1990s, every two weeks I would pedal my bike three miles to the Lake Forest library, check out Jane's Fighting Ships 1986, and then pedal frantically home to flip through the pages and imagine apocalyptic battles between your seagoing home and the warfleets of the already defunct Soviet Union. You'll be please to know Ark Royal always emerged unscathed in these mental bloodbaths.

Reckon I'll follow along!

• Like 4

A thoroughly engaging read. Ex-WAAFU, were you serving in HMS Fearless on the DTS W.Indies cruise '82 pre FI - and if so was it you who posted the story about the Wessex 5 that suffered BER corrosive damage having been left out on deck in the middle of that extremely big storm we all went through?

I was (& yes, it was me who posted the story about melting Wx 5s). I joined Fearless as a S/Lt as she left the Tyne post-refit in 1981, and left her when we got home from the Falklands in July 82.

P.S. My time in Fearless was as a baby Fishead officer; didn't start my flying training until 84

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

Equally, there are a lot who know very little - including some aviators who seem to regard them as a cross between a Device of Beelzebub and one of Heath Robinson's more dangerous jokes (you know who you are, Debs...).

10330252_1484392421794404_27375078395238

:P

My memories of the Sea King mainly revolve around being winched out of an MS10 dinghy, in seas going up and down at least 20ft, and after having been boaked over by my Loadmaster.

• Like 14