Ebbro Mclaren MP4/30 Japan GP spec (COMPLETED)

Thanks for the kind words guys. 

Small update on this. 

The body parts have been painted in zero paints colour matched paint and had the first coats of clear applied (same problem though as on my mazda 787b build) 

20161002_154737_zpsuppytnih.jpg

20161002_154749_zps3fhzi5mo.jpg

20161002_154805_zps6lk8vxmh.jpg

More soon. 

Shaun

• Like 2

A small update for this 

The car has now had its final clear before decals 

20161007_141455-1_zpskteoxnom.jpg

The nose at this point actually rests on the car nicely with no connection points 

20161007_141351_zpsa5ye5glv.jpg

I have also started the massive job of carbon decals on all the suspension components 

20161003_182410_zpsr3upd2ke.jpg

More to come soon 

Shaun

• Like 1

Thanks for the luck noeyedears I will most probably have no eyes or hair left by the time I finish. 

Only a few little bits done on this today but if you look at my other builds you will see front wings were the order of business today 

So with that I polished up the front wing after it had some clear put on a week or so ago and started putting the templated carbon decals from acustion on. They are really good and in some areas better than the set studio 27 do but then in some areas they are not as good, like they don't have the small carbon bits that go on the leading edges (the most forward part) of the wing planes so these where made up by me with tracing paper and the closest colour matching sheet of carbon decal I had. It took for bleeding ever. 

20161010_185053_zpsjd2deqip.jpg

Closer picture to show the bits I mean 

20161010_185107_zpspqz3g1sq.jpg

More to come soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Wow its been a very long time (for me) since my last update to this. 

Well let me fill you in on what's been going on. All of the little bits like wings, endplates and nose were striped for what feels like the 50th time and repainted. And the main body was just recently rubbed down and given another coat of gloss and that's about it. 

Until now!!! Today I started the decals on the main body parts. 

20170207_120059_zpsxexhf2p7.jpg

That top bit of orange is the worst decals I have ever worked with. Wrong size shape and just a P.I.T.A. 

But I got through to this 

20170207_130400_zpsncz3dfbv.jpg

20170207_130407_zpss15a9kve.jpg

Just one more side to do. 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 3

And finally after a day of decals I have the main part of the body done (minus the mclaren swoosh from the nose cone) 

20170207_180710_zpsurjdmhfo.jpg

Hopefully if I have time tomorrow I can get the nose cone done also and get this build back on track. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

Small update for today. 

It's just been a day of finishing up the decals really and getting some more of the many carbon decals done on the suspension. 

I had to kind of rush the nose a little just so I could get the last decals done on the main body, I say rush but I mean let the clear coat dry 1 day less than normal. 

20170208_122142_zpsdluseucs.jpg

Then had to very carefully snip the decal where the nose attaches. 

20170208_123807_zps2d0og0rl.jpg

Hopefully the nice weather we've had down south keeps up for the next few days so I can get some more clear on soon. 

Shaun

• Like 1

A small update for this today as I just waiting on things to dry/harden.

This is a little unrelated but Eagle eyes will notice that I have got a new cutting mat. The old one served me well and took a lot of abuse during my early years of modelling so I've upgraded to a new one 

20170211_200849_zpsndp46ahh.jpg

So now on to some actual plastic bits.

The car body had some clear put over it the same time as my other build but turned out a lot better on this 

20170212_174444_zpsyvjxpaas.jpg

After a couple of days it was rubbed back a little and more clear got put on today.

20170213_155942_zpshkv7vus1.jpg

The nose also had the same but is one step behind 

20170213_160009_zpsmuhw7cjw.jpg

It been a long time since the little button figure has made an appearance in the build but I have painted his shoes and gloves with a mix of black and rubber black, it's a little shiny still so a flat coat will be put over them. Also I put a wash of watered down tamiya smoke in most of the crevices of the driver suit. 

20170212_174635_zpslfddw7gs.jpg

This next picture was from a few days ago but feel with the car being close to so proper assembly it's needed.

20170212_174554_zpsturgnuno.jpg

More soon  

Shaun

• Like 3

Thanks John it's not even close to being finished yet though. 

So I did get a little bored of waiting for things to dry last night so made a start to the seat by carbon/kevlar decaling it. I may put some fine black electrical tape on also to simulate padding but I'm a little unsure of going that far as once it's done you won't see it. The wrinkles are just the decal settling from microsol. 

20170213_223603_zpsvhddu8hn.jpg

Once the seat was done I was a little stuck for things to do as most of the car parts still needed to be finished are drying still so I moved on to the little button figure again. The head is just held in place with blu tack but the arms are in place now in the right angle. The joins originally were a little weak so I drilled into the arms and body and glued in some wire to give a little extra support.

20170213_223450_zpsibgnhxik.jpg

And in the car 

20170213_223513_zpsnreinwze.jpg

20170213_223527_zpsjwru0af5.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the car body polished and get on with some proper assembly 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 4

when i saw an earlier pic i thought "oops, the driver doesnt fit" now he has his arms on i can see it supposed to be like that 😋

really does look the part now all those decals are on!

10 hours ago, noeyedears said:

when i saw an earlier pic i thought "oops, the driver doesnt fit" now he has his arms on i can see it supposed to be like that 😋

really does look the part now all those decals are on!

I did try and fit the little figure into the seat at one stage a while ago just to see if it would but it's way too wide. The little guy won't even get in the car without the seat due to its butt not fitting through the gap when the headrest is in 

Shaun 

Right so a proper update for once with more than 1 thing been done. 

So to start off this one I made a start to the wheels by spraying them semi gloss black. They just need the decals and then a coat of semi gloss clear. 

20170217_171547_zpsfiikrxlo.jpg

And the front wheel

20170217_171524_zpsgblbwpgk.jpg

Now on to the thing that steers the wheels. Obviously with the driver figure entering/departing the car the wheel has to be detached from the car, so it need a lot of work to change it to a more realistic look. I started by chopping off the stem that attaches to the car 

20170215_152100_zps8kgdjjkw.jpg

Then made a wedge from plastic card to fill the hole. It's not a perfect fit but it's close enough. 

20170215_152109_zpsmb7fca7k.jpg

Now moving a little further back in the car to the seat. I have been looking a lot more than I should at the mp4/30 cockpit area recently given you won't see it when finished. I noticed what I think is a little padding around different areas so I've simulated this with thin electrical tape 

20170217_171647_zpshtebkxcg.jpg

I have also got a few of the smaller parts like mirrors and rear wing upper flap decals on they should get some clear over them very soon 

20170217_140413_zpsx7bvxuqq.jpg

Staying at the rear of the car I have polished the main plane of the rear wing and also painted the outer sides with alclad colours as the real car has these parts in a aluminium/magnesium looking metal. 

20170218_101013_zpsywqwana0.jpg

And finally the body has been polished so I can start getting the suspension on and rear end done very soon.

20170217_140325_zpsoiedgswz.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

Thanks Roger. Talking about small details I've just noticed from the pictures that the CNN logo on the left front wing end plate is on backwards so I have to sort that before getting some clear on. 

Shaun 

I have made a little more progress to this over the last couple of days. 

The side pod tuning vanes in the kit are wrong for the US gp, honestly I'm not sure if they are right for the Japan gp the car is ment to represent. So out came the tamiya 2 part putty again for the modifications  (tamiya epoxy putty is seriously a must for anyone who makes models). 

20170220_164122_zpsej1qmplm.jpg

They originally had a dip right where the putty is that went into the car but now they have a much straighter profile 

20170220_164129_zpsld5kujwi.jpg

The rims all received some decals and a little semi gloss clear to cover them 

20170220_163851_zpsyaed9m8e.jpg

The last few suspension components got the carbon treatment and a layer of semi gloss clear. 

20170220_163903_zps7yhcnjoe.jpg

As did the rear wing get main plane. The decals used on here are actually not in the acustion carbon set and are from a s27 set for the Redbull rb6 I had spare, the main big on did need trimming down and a box section added to hide where the f-duct connection was but they turned out ok. Also being s27 they were ludicrously thick and brittle and took a lot of microsol and heat to conform properly. 

20170220_163913_zpsoqxbi6yq.jpg

Staying with carbon decals the rear uprights got some decals put on also. 

20170220_164020_zpss8dshnaj.jpg

The front brake ducts/uprights also had carbon put on but again not from the acustion set as the ones they include are too small and just plain don't fit so I made some that do with sms carbon decal sheet. Again it's not perfect but also it's a million miles away from being finished 

20170220_163937_zpsvaptml29.jpg

The legality plank has also been painted, when I say painted I mean I've tried to give it a wood look but it's not great but I don't mind as it's under the car. Again it's not fully finished I need to paint the titanium skip plank and the connection points 

20170220_164720_zpsl8ad4w8i.jpg

And finally the last few bits of the front wing are almost finished,  they just need a very quick buff up and the carbon to be addled to all the leading edges and the tips. 

20170220_164052_zps8nvsibwt.jpg

More soon 

Shaun

• Like 2

Hi Shaun,

Probably a daft idea, but in for a penny...

Have you though of using fine real wood veneer for the legality plank, the sort you can get from B&Q?

It may look totally unrealistic, but you never know.

Cheers, Alan.

13 hours ago, Alan R said:

Hi Shaun,

Probably a daft idea, but in for a penny...

Have you though of using fine real wood veneer for the legality plank, the sort you can get from B&Q?

It may look totally unrealistic, but you never know.

Cheers, Alan.

I did have the same thought Alan but there are just too many little bits on the bottom that would need to be replicated in a real wood one that I just couldn't justify doing for a part that won't get seen very often. 

Shaun

• Like 1