Lighting Virgin needs some advice.

I have a 1/72 Airfix RNLI Severn Class Lifeboat in my stash which I picked from last november's Telford model fair for a tenner.

I saw one of these built up on one of the display tables & I asked the chap who built it if he put lighting inside the cabin(s), to which he responded "No I didnt, but I wished I had have done now" as you cant see inside the cabin once all closed up.

Im looking to put a couple of lights in the cabin, but as i've never worked with lighting before, im wondering if any of you guys knew of any sites that stock a cheap "starter kit" with a couple of led lights, a on/off switch & battery holder with some wiring attached & instructions.

I managed to pick a soldering iron set for Lidl for £8 a couple of months ago, which was a real bargain, so no worries about picking up one of those.

My work has a small stock of 3mm white leds as specials for a customer (who now cancelled their order) & have been sitting in their bin location for a number of months & they sell 9V battery clips with 2 wires attached about 10cm long, I tried them, but after a few secs the leds pins started to get a little hot, so im assuming they will have to wrapped in some insulation tape, but unfortunately they dont sell an on/off switch.

Ive found a few UK websites, but they only list the parts seperately & not as a kit, but I did come across this:-

http://www.captainjacksmodels.co.uk/ourshop/prod_3542886-3mm-x4-Warm-White-Value-Set-9v-Clip.html

That would be great, but there is no on/off switch included, so I would have to keep on connecting & unplugging the battery to switch it on, as opposed to flicking a discreetly concealed switch.

I also have seen where people have been light blocking with a few layers of paint, they used silver, then black & then im assuming the last layer of paint would be inside wall color of the lifeboat, but would I have to the same on the outer wall too.

Sorry to be asking, but I simply havent a clue about lighting.

Cheers in advance,

Wayne.

Edited by Deadman Disciple

The LED will need a resistor between it and the battery to prolong its life. Christmas is coming up, go to your nearest pound shop, there will be a variety of LED lighting sets which have a self contained battery/switch pack. Usually about 10 LEDs per set, you can bury the unused ones under the deck wrapped in tinfoil(they will light up but you just won't see them!). Cut the two battery wires, feed them through the bottom of the hull and resolder them together again.

You will only need to paint the inside to prevent light bleed, A couple of coats of black should be enough, try and shine a lamp or hold it up to strong light to see if there are any bits that need extra coats. Silver is used more for reflecting the light around the inside, such as a space ship with lots of small Windows. I tend to use foil for this.

There is a very informative thread right now in the vehicle discussion forum, have a look at that too.

• Like 2

Wayne I have dealt with these people in the past. they have been a great help. I

Ring them up tell them what I want to do and they sort all the bits, even the wire. Reasonable prices as well.

www.componentshop.co.uk

Hope this helps

Kev

• Like 1

Nice one Kev, saved that one to my bookmarks. Hopefully they can help me with a chasing LED circuit I need. Isn't Madmonk on here an electronics genius? I know one of the guys here sells lighting kits and I'm sure that it's Madmonk!

Cheers Kev,

Kev.

Also try http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/ledlights1.html

Lots of great stuff there too.

Ive bought these from modeltrains website above:-

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/bl-214f.html $2.25 each & comes with a built in resistor.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/snco.html $2.75 each & comes with an on/off switch.

I bought 2 of the 3mm warm white leds & 1 battery /w switch & all told its cost me $11.75 & thats with intl shipping inc, so thats about £9.

Thanks again guys for all your help.

Wayne.

• Like 2