1/32 Macchi C.205 update ### Finished 27-9-2016 ###

Hi Guys,

Here is my second build for this GB.

After a approval from Jon and V-P, can I now anounce that I will build the 1/32 21st Century models Macchi C.205 here.

It will be build almost straight out of the box with exeption of some AM decals from Tauro and some etch buckels for the seatbelts.

edit: I don't have the decals, but will use the ones in the box and instead of the buckels I will use the figure that was with the kit.

I had already started this one a couple of years back, but it isn't past the 25% rule.It gives me the oportunity to get some of my shelf queens finished.

The panel lines are a bit wide, but I will see what can be made out of it.

Here are some pictures what is in the box.

IMG_3443_zpsrai9lsor.jpg

IMG_3447_zpso45j67uc.jpg

IMG_3446_zpsvhutvfju.jpg

IMG_3449_zps2xsqblxa.jpg

IMG_3444_zpsmkydew3j.jpg

IMG_3445_zpsuc19iwuu.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the decals. :doh: I will do that later.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 6

Before Daimler-Benz made my cars 😇 they made quite good aircraft engines. Then Italians wrapped those engines in most elegant airframes. Too bad they forgot to arm them properly... Watching this build (too) with interest though it's awfully large for my taste!

Before Daimler-Benz made my cars they made quite good aircraft engines. Then Italians wrapped those engines in most elegant airframes. Too bad they forgot to arm them properly... Watching this build (too) with interest though it's awfully large for my taste!

The fuselage isn't bigger than a Spitfire or a Bf-109. Only the wingspan is big. Now I know why they were quite manouverable and with a good pilot behind the stick they were difficult to beat.

Cheers,

Arnie, I built a Mc.202 last year so I know their proportional size. I meant the huge 32nd SCALE you're building it in.

Well, I have got some space in my model shed, so don't worry. And the positive side as well is that the big boxes disapear out of the stash. :coolio:

Cheers,

Well, I have got some space in my model shed, so don't worry. And the positive side as well is that the big boxes disapear out of the stash. :coolio:

Cheers,

More like a hanger than a shed from previous photos!

I've read some nice thins about these models, while nice and simple they're quite accurate and easy to turn into something really nice. I've read a great tip for filling those screw holes, you heat up the end of a piece of sprue and when it's nice a soft plunge it into the screw hole. As it cools down it sticks to the screw hole, then you just trim off the top and sand back. No troubles with filler shrinkage or redoing panel lines.

They were considered the best of all the Italian, but like everything with some of these amazing Axis aircraft, it was to little to late to have any real affect on the final outcome.

I'll be watching this one with interest. :popcorn:

If I run into any trouble with my resin one then maybe I can swap it over with one of these without anyone noticing!! :whistle::D

• Like 1

If I run into any trouble with my resin one then maybe I can swap it over with one of these without anyone noticing!! :whistle::D

I will know :evil_laugh:

Maybee you can buy one just for the canopie. To make life easier. :coolio:

As you might have noticed I have replaced the propellor hub with one from a old Revell Beafighter kit that was in my spare box.

The one that is in the kit is the same as the Macchi 202 one. I hope it will work.

Can't wait till the GB starts.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

I have done some work yesterday evening at the modelclub. I have sawn out some plastic where the Original exhausts would be placed. I replace the exhausts with some from Quickboost. These are originaly for the Bf-109 G6 from Hasegawa. But after this modification they fit. And also look a lot better!!!!

There is still some work to do, before I can paint the cockpit. I am still looking how I can make some seatbelts. I have had a look at the pilot and he looks very good to me. So maybee I will give that a try. I have got no pictures jet, but I will try to put some up this weekend.

Cheers,

OK as promised the pictures.

Here is a picture of the underside of the wing where all the screw points have been filled and sanded till a smooth finish.

IMG_3450_zpsml5rzx0u.jpg

Then it is on to the exhaust exits in the cowling. The original parts look awfull so I replaced them with some from a Quickboost set for a Bf-109 G6.

Here is the picture of the exhausts in one picture. top the original kit ones, middle the onse from a Hasegawa Bf-109 G6 and bottom the Quickboost ones. As you can see the Quickboost ones are quite a step forward.

IMG_3452_zpsg8wkdxih.jpg

This is a picture after removing some of the plastic from the exhaust slid.

IMG_3451_zps7ymuz6dy.jpg

And here is a picture the exhausts in the cowlings with the original one on the bottom and on top with the quickboost.

IMG_3453_zpsurazwpuj.jpg

There is also another point in the kit that needs to be dealth with and that is the spinner. The original one is one for the Macchi C.202 and not the 205.

I replaced mine with one from a old 1/32 Revell Beaufighter kit that was in my left over box. I reshaped it a bit and made a hole in the tip.

Here are some pictures.

The original spinner.

IMG_3454_zpsti4mktjr.jpg

And the modified one.

IMG_3455_zps6ze9exne.jpg

It looks a little bit to bulboes, but that will look better in profile.

original

IMG_3457_zpsuxtxgay7.jpg

And the modified one.

IMG_3456_zpsldafq8bo.jpg

That is it for now. It is to hot now for modelling and the Formula 1 will start in a few hours.

Cheers,

• Like 4

Ok guys. Here is the first pictures of the painting. I painted in one go the interior, cockpit, exhausts, radiators and the pilot. I decided for the pilot, because it is easier to do, than making my own seatbelts.

Here are the pictures of the cockpit in interior green.I don't know if that is the right colour, But I think it's ok(ish).

I first gave it a primer coat of black so it wouldn't look to bright.

IMG_3458_zpsyw0awzez.jpg

IMG_3460_zpsr0dv8bse.jpg

And the inside wheel bays.

IMG_3459_zps54snoyzc.jpg

And all the painted black partsincluding the instrumentpanel and the exhausts.The detail painting still needs to be done.

IMG_3461_zps93lgegqg.jpg

And finally the pilot.He will be given a coat of medium brown and then all the details painted later.The coality of the pilot is very good.

IMG_3462_zpscgdivkgq.jpg

IMG_3463_zpsusyax3pj.jpg

That is it for now, I hope to do some more this week.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Hate to be the barer of bad new Arnold but the interior of the 205's should be the Grey (Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1), the 200's & 202's were Green (Verde Anticorriosione) but in 1942 they to changed to the Grey which was to be the standard interior colour.

I don't know if you have found this website yet, but it's full of really valuable stuff.

http://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAeronauticaColorsinWWII_3a.htm

It seems that the SM.79's too where only painted grey in the interior, despite the fact that 90% or more of the models I've seen build have been painted green inside!

I wish my interior was coming along as nicely, I'm have sooooo many dramas with mine, will have an update tomorrow.

Hate to be the barer of bad new Arnold but the interior of the 205's should be the Grey (Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1), the 200's & 202's were Green (Verde Anticorriosione) but in 1942 they to changed to the Grey which was to be the standard interior colour.

I don't know if you have found this website yet, but it's full of really valuable stuff.

http://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAeronauticaColorsinWWII_3a.htm

It seems that the SM.79's too where only painted grey in the interior, despite the fact that 90% or more of the models I've seen build have been painted green inside!

I wish my interior was coming along as nicely, I'm have sooooo many dramas with mine, will have an update tomorrow.

Arhhhhh :suicide: I should have known beter!!! That teaches me to go with what is said in the instructions.

I will try to repaint it tomorrow. Ehhhh What would the colour of the wheelbay etc be?! If I need to repaint it I want to do it in one go, or is it the same as the underside colour?!

Cheers,

The Stormo site is a fantastic source for everything to do with RA modelling it is highly recommended.

Cheers

Dennis

I have already saved it. Thanxs for the tip.

Cheers,

Arhhhhh :suicide: I should have known beter!!! That teaches me to go with what is said in the instructions.

I will try to repaint it tomorrow. Ehhhh What would the colour of the wheelbay etc be?! If I need to repaint it I want to do it in one go, or is it the same as the underside colour?!

Cheers,

I had read about the well wells but had forgotten when I was doing the post.....think it was green???? will check and get back to you.

Wheel wells were in the same colour of the undersides, therefore Grigio Azzurro Chiaro

Love to see one of these kits built, they are very interesting. I have this 205 in the stash myself, will keep note of your modifications, the exhausts for a starter really improve the look of the model

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

Wheel wells were in the same colour of the undersides, therefore Grigio Azzurro Chiaro

Love to see one of these kits built, they are very interesting. I have this 205 in the stash myself, will keep note of your modifications, the exhausts for a starter really improve the look of the model

Thanxs Giorgio for the info, But does that mean that when they were repainted in the german colours (RLM 74/75/76) That this would have been repainted as well?!

Here's one I did way back, most enjoyable

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41038-21st-century-toys/

Cheers

Dennis

That is a good looking model Dennis. :goodjob:

Cheers,

Here are some pictures from the repainted cockpit. I didn't have XF20, but I took the liberty of a paintmix (dark slate grey) that I made a few years ago.

IMG_3468_zpsaxh3xtt9.jpg

IMG_3466_zpsgh1fgryu.jpg

IMG_3467_zpssqvgpcrk.jpg

It already has got a dark wash to tone it a little bit down. Then it is time to do some dry drushing.

Cheers,

Thanxs Giorgio for the info, But does that mean that when they were repainted in the german colours (RLM 74/75/76) That this would have been repainted as well?!

Of course the habit was to paint the wells in the undersurface colours of the original scheme, it's hard to tell if any repainting was done when the German colours were applied. At that point any existing Regia Aeronautica regulation would have been dead anyway as the authorities that issued them didn't exist any more

I'll see if I can find any info and let you know. I have the D'Amico-Valentini book on the ANR camouflage and markings, I'll see if they make any mention of the wheel wells and similar areas

It's also known that late war aircrafts may also have left out the grey coat... the idea was that a grey coat was to be applied over the primer. Late in the war a number of factories for sure did not apply such a coat over the primer, so leaving for example the cockpits in green even if grey was specified. Again, the RA didn't exist anyway so there was nobody to check... A number of late war wrecks have been found with both cockpits and wheel wells in primer. I should also add that different companies used different primers, Macchi used a green type.

• Like 2

So if I read this right Giorgio, it could have been in the colour I used first?! Nobody would find that strange?!?!

RICH!!!!!!!! Where are you!!!!! :fight::chair::rant: My nice paint work ruined. :boom:

Ok, I forgive you . :banghead:Hehehehehe

If it doesn't look right I will know who to blame ehj Matie :devil: :bangin:

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec