THAT glider Tug! Italeri's 1/72 He111Z FINISHED!

I know I'm late to the party, but I'll have a go with this:

GEDC0290%201_zps079xcq5g.jpg

The Kit's obligatory mugshots:

GEDC0291%201_zpsjy9fzav2.jpg

GEDC0292%201_zpssu7io8in.jpg

GEDC0293%201_zpsfwuqfbdb.jpg

GEDC0294%201_zpshfjrzweb.jpg

GEDC0295%201_zpstvofkp2p.jpg

The kit consists of a complete He111H kit with an extra fuselage and the 3-engined central wing section to create a Zwilling. The instructions are on a bigger-than-A4 gatefolded sheet. Decals are provided for 2 schemes, both named simply as He111Z-1 Russia 1943. One is dunkelgruen/schwarzgruen/hellblau (ZI+TH), the other is weiss/hellblau (ZL+TH), both with yellow campaign markings. It appears difficult to find out which Luftwaffe unit(s) flew the He111Z, books are vague, as is the 'net. Wm. Green in Warplanes of the Third Reich states that the Staffeln of the Grossraum-LastenseglerGruppe Me321(Gigant) were disbanded before the Zwilling entered service, suggesting that they operated at Gruppe level as the GLSG Me321. Most of the operations for which the He111z was deployed turned out to be failures, but not because of any failure by the Zwillings- examples would be Operation Herkules, the invasion of Malta, which was simply never implemented, or the airborne assaults on Astrakhan and Baku, cancelled because of the Wehrmacht's failure to advance to the planned starting points of the mssions. The mission to supply the Kuban bridgehead saw casevac missions flying thousands of casualties out of the bridgehead and the Zwillinge finally saw practical use. The He111Z-1 was regarded as successful by the RLM, and proposals were made (and approved) for Z-2 (bomber) and Z-3 (reconnaissance) variants, although neither were built.

I'll make a start . . .

• Like 10

It looks like there's a lot of work here, but it will be worth it :) The winter camouflage one sounds good.

Looking forward to this.

:popcorn:

ATB

Tony

Thanks, Guys! Now let's hope I can do justice to your expectations!

No pictures of construction yet, 'cos all I've done is a little bit of parts painting on the sprue, so really there's nothing to see yet! I need to make a real start on this today, because

it's my birthday tomorrow, so not much chance of modelling time, and then on Saturday our family's big event for this year takes place- my son is getting married!

I need to sit down and do some modelling this evening, this afternoon is pencilled in for scooter maintenance- the moped needs a service or she won't get me to work on Sunday!

Wat not in today's preferred 32nd scale? Well this'll be HUGE anyway! Good luck and remember, I'm watching you

There was a guy on another forum about 3 years ago who had a go at a 1/32 Zwilling, using 2x Revelogram He111Ps and a conversion set from (I think) Field of Armor, but he got mojo problems a few weeks into the build, and AFAIK has left the hobby completely . . .

• Like 3

Some progress has been made today(must correct the date on the camera- it's a day behind!)

Although this kit looks like a lot of work, it actually turns out to be quite a simple kit! 3 pieces make each of the outer wings, 5 components make the central wing section

(all less landing gear and engines, of course) and as for the fuselages- add the glazing (not the cockpit!) and 1 MG on each, and they're ready to go together,

GEDC0296%201_zps3fsehg2d.jpg

Like this!

GEDC0297%201_zps7itryeuv.jpg

And here's where it's up to tonight!

GEDC0298_zpshhxsolqh.jpg

Those are the 2 cockpits, lying on their backs!!

• Like 6

Crikey that's fast progress well done! What's the white around the Windows Gaz? Interesting :)

Best regards

Tony

The white around the windows is just gloss white enamel, it's an attempt to cheat at masking, 'cos I CBA with masking the windows properly when I have that cockpit glazing to mask up!

It means that the topcoat doesn't need to go right into the corners and up to the windows. just an experiment to see if it's viable . . .

Great progress Gaz.....Germany really did build some daft stuff during the war! :mental:

The thing that stands out to me about the He111Z is that in a state where everything needed a government directive to happen(!?) no-one at the RLM realised, while the Me321 Gigant &

Ju322 Mammut were being developed, that they didn't have a tug capable to getting them into the air! It's typical overblown grandiose Nazi thinking- " Ach zo, zey vant a glider tug, ve'll

giff zem ze greatest glider tug ze vorld has ever seen!" (Please excuse Teutonic stereotyping, it's purely for comic effect!!) :analintruder::fuhrer::mental:

• Like 2

Having a chilled-out morning today in preparation for this afternoon's wedding. The groom stayed at our house last night, the womenfolk are having their hair done, so I got in a

little assembly work. Here are the wings!

GEDC0299_zpswnavfmsu.jpg

Shouldn't be long before the basic airframe is built, but after this morning, not much will happen until Thursday, I'm back at work tomorrow night for the usual 4 nights.

• Like 3

interesting..but rather you than me!

Dan Gilberti has a page on the Zwilling unit I./ Luftlandgeschwader 2 (LLG 2) They were based in Dijon around the turn of the year 1943-44. One of them was shot down by Mosquitos in February 1944 - the first Allied encounter with the machine..

http://www.histavia21.net/Ba102/LIEUX-HISTOIRE/BA-102/I.Luftlandgeschwader%202.htm

It appears difficult to find out which Luftwaffe unit(s) flew the He111Z, books are vague, as is the 'net.

The Germans did lots of silly things like that, by mid 1943 they had developed a whole spectrum of armoured vehicles that they were ill-equipped to recover in the event of breakdowns.....Here's how you tow a Panther (the vehicle that was intended to become the standard German medium tank):

famo6.JPG

• Like 5

The Germans did lots of silly things like that, by mid 1943 they had developed a whole spectrum of armoured vehicles that they were ill-equipped to recover in the event of breakdowns.....Here's how you tow a Panther (the vehicle that was intended to become the standard German medium tank):

famo6.JPG

I always thought it was us Brits who improvised and "muddled through" with stuff like that, using what you've got is one approach, as above , 2 flipping great artillery tractors is

inconvenient, but the first attempt at towing the Me321, the Troika-Schlepp, using 3 Bf110s per glider, was suicidally dangerous!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It seems like a long time since this was reported on, progress is slowly being made, lots of real life getting in the way, what with computer problems, weddings, family illnesses, scooter breakdowns.

It's just a quick photo report. so here it is:

GEDC0012_zpsedot5xcf.jpg

These are the dorsal gun positions ready for installation, and here

GEDC0014_zpsxluje802.jpg

is a general view of where she's up to!

That's all for now!

• Like 6