THAT glider Tug! Italeri's 1/72 He111Z FINISHED!

Great progress Gaz :thumbsup:. It's a big model! Did it go together well? Lots and lots of masking on the canopies there :o!

It would look great hanging from the ceiling with an Me Gigant glider in tow!

Great stuff

Best regards

Tony

On 9/14/2016 at 9:37 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

Great progress Gaz :thumbsup:. It's a big model! Did it go together well? Lots and lots of masking on the canopies there :o!

It would look great hanging from the ceiling with an Me Gigant glider in tow!

Great stuff

Best regards

Tony

It's really just the wingspan that's big! Goes together well for a kit of it's age, little bits of filler to smooth the "steps" in the seams. Once the airframe is complete she becomes a little awkward to handle!

I'd thoroughly recommend the Eduard masks for this kit- makes a tedious task easy and quick! Remember to buy 2 sets for the Zwilling.

I built the Gigant years ago, the model was extremely fragile and not a pleasant build, but I'd agree- it would look superb towing a Gigant across the ceiling!

• Like 2

It's a week since anything was posted on this, so here we are again!

She's definitely taking shape now, the painting of the main airframe is ready for decals, and she looks like this:

024_zpsbc4r5ipk.jpg

And from underneath, like this!

027_zpswdokcq4r.jpg

You may notice that the cockpit masking has been removed between the upper and lower pictures. I used to believe that decalling brought a model to life, but since I started

masking canopies, I now think the moment a model comes to life is when that masking comes off!!

10 days to go: hopefully she's on the home straight and will actually make it!

• Like 7

You are putting us all to shame with your build speed! The He111 has a rewarding canopy to unmask. I have a "regular" He111 and that always feels really solid with its wide and deep wings so I can only imagine what how imposing the Zwilling must be. Now, what would be a scale towing distance for the Me321...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

On 21/09/2016 at 8:50 AM, AdrianMF said:

You are putting us all to shame with your build speed! The He111 has a rewarding canopy to unmask. I have a "regular" He111 and that always feels really solid with its wide and deep wings so I can only imagine what how imposing the Zwilling must be. Now, what would be a scale towing distance for the Me321...

Regards,

Adrian

I've Googled  for Me321 towing distance without success, but found info in Wm. Green's "Warplanes of the Third Reich" that when using the 3xBf110 TroikaSchlepp, the lead Bf110's tow cable was 328 ft. long, and the "side" aircrafts' were 262 ft. long.

If the He111z would use around the same towing distance, then a scale tow would separate the models by approximately 4' 7" or 1.39m!

• Like 2

Finished!

The finished model is actually too big for my light tent, but I persevered with it!

twin%20001_zpsb9jn4gtl.jpg

More pix in the gallery shortly!Or there would have been, but for some reason nothing is happening when I try to post my pictures in the gallery! It's very strange, 'cos the picture

above posted earlier today with no problem . . .

• Like 7

Brilliant :thumbsup: !

It was such an elegantly simple, very German solution. Was there a crew in each fuselage?

I hope the rudders were locked to work in parallel :o ! 

I love the distance for an Me 321 tow. I can imagine guests looking up, slowly following the over 4 foot long tow to the Gigantic!

Eccentric, bonkers and fantastic :) 

:goodjob: 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

On 29/09/2016 at 11:53 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

Brilliant :thumbsup: !

It was such an elegantly simple, very German solution. Was there a crew in each fuselage?

I hope the rudders were locked to work in parallel :o ! 

I love the distance for an Me 321 tow. I can imagine guests looking up, slowly following the over 4 foot long tow to the Gigantic!

Eccentric, bonkers and fantastic :) 

:goodjob: 

All the best

TonyT

Yes, Tony both fuselages were crewed! Pilot was in the port fuselage with full instrumentation, 5 throttles and the controls for the portside undercarriages and radiator flaps for the 2 port engines. A 2nd pilot in the starboard fuselage

had flying controls (but no throttles!) and operated the starboard undercarriages, and radiator flaps on the centre and 2 starboard engines! A mechanic, radio-operator and gunner were accommodated in the port fuselage, and a mechanic and gunner in the starboard one. The 2nd pilot acted as navigator. (Information from Dr. Wm. Green, Warplanes of the third Reich)

• Like 1

On 02/10/2016 at 3:37 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Lovely result on what looks to be a rather big model.....Whatever will you do with it?  :o

For the moment it'll go on my "Luftwaffe" shelf. If I ever get a Me321 Gigant model, I will seriously consider hanging them from the ceiling in a towing pose!:rolleyes: