Hasegawa A7A Corsair II

This is my first post on here but I've been lurking on and off for a few years. I've been building model aircraft for a while but after a few years in which model railways have been my main interest I've returned to aircraft and over the summer I've built a few (finally finished an Airfix Eurofighter, Airfix Boston, Airfix Lightning F2A and an Airfix Vampire T11). I have built very few non-Airfix kits (just a few Revell kits) and this was my first Hasegawa kit. I picked this aircraft for no particular reason other than it looked interesting to build - it was very much an impulse buy. A little research later revealed that this kit is very old and as I discovered is rather poorly detailed. However for only £7.49 I think it was worth it!

Overall fit of the parts was OK, except that the locating tabs on the undercarriage doors and weapons pylons didn't 'snap' home as some more recent kits do. The instructions, especially for painting were nowhere near as good as Airfix instructions, although as I have built quite a few kits now they didn't really cause me much trouble. I'm quite happy with the result, it's perhaps not my best paint finish as there are quite significant 'ridges' along the grey-white boundary. But I can cope with that. It was all brush painted and decals were those supplied with the kit. My only change was to replace part of one of the undercarriage assemblies with a piece of a paperclip cut to length because the original fell off or got lost at some other point, I never did quite work out what happened to it. Overall build time was 9 days, one of my fastest ever. Of that, construction probably only took about 4 days, if that.

Anyway, on to the pictures:

20160816_144611_zps6ndzjrz9.jpg

20160816_144643_zpsta5zrvbf.jpg

20160816_144635_zpspidzgzjy.jpg

20160816_144622_zpsxwuwhf2n.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 14

• 4 months later...
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 3:27 PM, Battle said:

This is my first post on here but I've been lurking on and off for a few years. I've been building model aircraft for a while but after a few years in which model railways have been my main interest I've returned to aircraft and over the summer I've built a few (finally finished an Airfix Eurofighter, Airfix Boston, Airfix Lightning F2A and an Airfix Vampire T11). I have built very few non-Airfix kits (just a few Revell kits) and this was my first Hasegawa kit. I picked this aircraft for no particular reason other than it looked interesting to build - it was very much an impulse buy. A little research later revealed that this kit is very old and as I discovered is rather poorly detailed. However for only £7.49 I think it was worth it!

Overall fit of the parts was OK, except that the locating tabs on the undercarriage doors and weapons pylons didn't 'snap' home as some more recent kits do. The instructions, especially for painting were nowhere near as good as Airfix instructions, although as I have built quite a few kits now they didn't really cause me much trouble. I'm quite happy with the result, it's perhaps not my best paint finish as there are quite significant 'ridges' along the grey-white boundary. But I can cope with that. It was all brush painted and decals were those supplied with the kit. My only change was to replace part of one of the undercarriage assemblies with a piece of a paperclip cut to length because the original fell off or got lost at some other point, I never did quite work out what happened to it. Overall build time was 9 days, one of my fastest ever. Of that, construction probably only took about 4 days, if that.

Anyway, on to the pictures:

20160816_144611_zps6ndzjrz9.jpg

20160816_144643_zpsta5zrvbf.jpg

20160816_144635_zpspidzgzjy.jpg

20160816_144622_zpsxwuwhf2n.jpg

Thanks for looking.

:wow:

Your Corsair is STUNNING  and very IMPRESSIVE. 

:yikes:

Edited by HOUSTON
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the encouraging comments! I really enjoyed building this aircraft. I'd definitely like to build some more US Navy aircraft in the future.

On 1/1/2017 at 5:26 PM, jimmyg352 said:

That's a lovely example Battle. The 'flight deck' needs attention though! ;)

Haha - yes I agree. It would make deck landings even more exciting! 

• Like 1

Hi Battle,

this Corsair looks rather good! Well done!

It is indeed quite old! I bought mine in the late 70s in a model shop in Richmond for about 2 Quid... along with quite a few other Hasegawa US Navy kits.

And I even built that A-7, after re-scribing the whole kit and wasting a lot of time deepening the air intake, which, if I remember correctly was pretty much non-existant... But what a fun build! I like the decals supplied, as this paint scheme is really smart.

Bottom line, congratulations for finishing this kit!

JR

• Like 1