'Kampfgruppe Tunesien'* German Armour Diorama with an Fw190 - ##Finished - in the Gallery## 25/12/16

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice progress Stix, your tracks are looking good how many links are there on a run?

Hi Ozzy and thank you.

I've only done 92 per side so far - the recommended number on the packet suggests 93 or 94 - but I think one of those is for working tracks and the other for static models - I cannot remember which way around at the moment. My intention, now that I have finished the wheels (see below), is to test the tracks beforehand to see how to get the best looking sag effect - it may mean adding one or two per side. If I remember correctly; I think I didn't used as many links on my late version Tiger from Skybow (same kits now from AFV Club). I may get that done this evening. I'll then get the tracks painted before attaching them - but that will probably be at the weekend.

As I mentioned above I got all the remaining wheels on last night - all but one of which are glued permanently ;):

29602134861_5df0074a9a_c.jpg

29572285492_39d286e526_c.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photos but it was a bit dark when I took them last night.

So I may do some track test fitting this evening.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Looking good Stix, your amount of links sounds like the same amount I used on my 1/35 Tiger

Spoiler

Not sure what I've pressed for the bit above?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rob85 said:

Nice wheels stix! Your normal great paintwork

rob

Hi Rob! You are too kind! :blush:

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Looking good Stix, your amount of links sounds like the same amount I used on my 1/35 Tiger

Reveal hidden contents

Not sure what I've pressed for the bit above?

Hi Ozzy. Thank you for the information. Not sure what you've pressed either but I've noticed a few people have done the same thing! There's quite a bit of new stuff to get used to. I haven't checked out much of it yet. I reckon it all seems pretty good so far and I like some of the new features I've discovered.

Last night I did a bit of a test fit of the tracks and this is the current gap:

29074828804_c63cdc0d81_c.jpg

29076611033_1911b0d008_c.jpg

I reckon another couple of links should do the job. I'll try and add them this evening so I can start getting the tracks painted this weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

On 16 September 2016 at 5:46 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Stix, that's some great progress there. Looking good ;) cheers Greg

Thanks Greg. :thumbsup:

I've got a fair bit done. Some during my lunch hour yesterday and quite a bit today. I'll try and sort out the photos later. I also think I've gone and got a bit carried away with the overall idea. I will explain later!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

EDIT - If anyone has been waiting for me to finish messing around with my pictures this evening I do apologise! For some reason I couldn't copy all the text of my photos' code from my email where I have to get them off Mrs PlaStix's laptop. Then I couldn't get rid of the formatting until I noticed the new button at the bottom of the edit box asking if I wanted to remove the formatting. Anyway here is today's update...........eventually!!

Yesterday, during my lunch hour, I started work on the figures. I'm starting with some from this set:

28995503095_59158bfec8_c.jpg

Sprue shot:

29700996116_77faa726a4_c.jpg

As well as the figures you get all this:

29689461936_5217bde5ae_c.jpg

It's quite a good set for the money.

First three figures started:

29700991236_40e97b8420_c.jpg

This morning I started by finishing assembling the tracks for the AFV Club Tiger 1.

Starboard tracks:

29736649025_cc4aff0b6c_c.jpg

95 links seems to be the magic number.

To enable me to get the tracks together once they have been painted I drilled out the last link at each end and used some plastic rod to hold them together:

29109781684_bc20fdb55f_c.jpg

This next photo shows how the rod passes through:

29625179532_ec2322ae58_c.jpg

Port side:

29111856063_2bd8d757e1_c.jpg

29111852743_c594e58846_c.jpg

.......and both tracks:

29111849213_f51222f77e_c.jpg

After getting the Tiger's tracks sorted I decided to do some work on the Pz.III. I painted the underside of the upper hull before attaching it to the lower hull. On these Tamiya kits with the metal lower hull the upper hull piece is held on with screws. It makes for quick assembly. After fitting the remaining parts I wanted in place on the upper hull, I got the first coat of paint on - Humbrol 93, Desert Yellow - thinned with water and applied with a flat brush:

29630279662_18a07575b8_c.jpg

29741931035_f7870c72f7_c.jpg

29706361046_e41ab21e8b_c.jpg

Recently I built my first Fw190 in the GB of the same name. I thoroughly enjoyed building it and knew afterwards that I wanted to build another in 1/48.........the only thing is I hadn't expected it to be so soon. However, while looking at information about the war in Tunisia, I read about the Fw190s that were in use........including an Fw190 A4 flown by Erich Rudorffer. I struggled to find a 1/48 version of an A4 at a reasonable price and so opted for the kit below, which was fairly cheap, that I hope to convert to an A4. I have a guide which indicates there are only a few minor changes needed. The kit box:

29701045446_c86f043ae5_c.jpg

Here's what's in the box:

29109831984_8e9a7e367d_c.jpg

For an older kit the detail looks good to me:

29736673535_3a591755f3_c.jpg

29625221312_f430cf51e3_c.jpg

The clear parts look to be okay:

29109821414_920c1ca596_c.jpg

The decals:

29655207621_1929af5656_c.jpg

The aircraft I'm building it as is called Yellow 1 so I'm thinking I will mask and paint the codes.

The instructions:

29655243991_68db5f8eee_c.jpg

Anyway I'm planning for it to be part of my diorama. I won't be starting it straight away but probably alongside my Tamiya Tiger 1 when I have finished these current two.

More tomorrow I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 12

9 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Excellent work going on here Stix, brush work is immaculate as we are accustomed to. :goodjob:

Hi Julian. Thank you, you are too kind.:blush:

8 hours ago, rob85 said:

Like the addition of the FW stix, wasn't expecting one of those in this GB!

Rob

Nor was I! :banghead:

7 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

An interesting addition to the build Stix. I am guessing a busy duo is in the offing! Sounds great, regards Greg B)

Hi Greg. Yeah......while I was reading about some of what went on Tunisia I realised I could add another dimension to my planned scene. I have an idea for how I'm going to include the Fw190 but I've got to do some experimenting first.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice work on the tracks, are you going to incorporate the 190 into the dio?:o

Cheers Ozzy. Yep the intention is that it will be part of the desert scene. As I said to Greg, above, I need to to some experiments with an idea I've got.

This morning I started work on the Tiger's tracks again. This time they were give a thinned, with water, coat of Revell's Anthracite and then, once dry, they were given a dry-brush of Humbrol's Gunmetal. The left hand track here is just painted with the Anthracite - the right one has been dry-brushed with Gunmetal:

29647173812_9d722e4b56_c.jpg

29759206455_0841082f4f_c.jpg

While waiting for stuff to dry I gave the upper hull of the Pz.III a wash of Revell's Gunship Grey before adding some targeted washes of thinned Anthracite with a fine brush:

29647167122_8b89e2aa81_c.jpg

Next I'll be giving the upper hull a dry-brushing with a lightened version of Humbrol's Desert Yellow.

At various times I also did a bit of painting on the smaller parts. None of these are finished yet:

29133966663_1a48a67a7e_c.jpg

29759193595_553ac9948c_c.jpg

29759189015_f67f6ebe83_c.jpg

I had to do some gardening this afternoon so didn't get chance to do anything more :(. I hope to get some more work done on the figures during the week.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8

Great progress Stix, I like the comparative shots of the track painting. I am never sure of the order of high lights and shading for the weathering stages so that was helpful. Did a bit of gardening myself this weekend, it's the bane of my modelling at weekend's. Still you have made some nice additions to your tanks. Well done! Cheers Greg :D

• Like 1

On 9/18/2016 at 4:51 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Tracks look good, I like the use of a plastic 'keeper' on the Tiger tracks.

Does this help with the Fw190 A4 conversion? http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/11/stuff_eng_fw190_01.htm

Hi Robert. I can't claim the idea of the plastic rod - I read about how someone had done something similar here on Britmodeller.

And thank you very much for link - that's just what I need! Very helpful - doesn't seem like I need to do too much! :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great progress Stix, I like the comparative shots of the track painting. I am never sure of the order of high lights and shading for the weathering stages so that was helpful. Did a bit of gardening myself this weekend, it's the bane of my modelling at weekend's. Still you have made some nice additions to your tanks. Well done! Cheers Greg :D

Hi Greg and thank you too. Yeah I tend to always do any Gunmetal, or other metalics that need to look slightly rough, over a base coat of Anthracite as a dry-brushed coat. It tends to give a less even finish. Next it will be a matter of getting some sand/dirt washes on them.

Gardening is not a pastime I enjoy - give me some plastic and glue and I'm much happier!

21 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Living in a flat has it's compensations...no garden!

No that's just rubbing it in!! ;)

21 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Those are coming along very well Stix. The toning on the Panzer III seems to have worked very well. That's a very smart solution for the tracks which I shall try on my next Tiger.

Thank for your kind comments too SleeperService. I'm reasonably happy with the paintwork so far - I'm hoping it still looks okay after the dry-brushing of the lighter version of the base coat! As I said to Robert, above, I can't claim the idea for the tracks - it was someone else's here on Britmodeller but I'm afraid I cannot remember who.

I was hoping to get some work done on the figures but It's been a busy day.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Wow Stix - This is building up to be a rather outstanding display   :Tasty:   Can't wait for this to come together on the board :) 

Hi Nigel and thank you!! I think it's going to be a while yet before these are on the board. I've bought a cheap long picture frame from Wilkos - the sort that fits three or 4 photos - I think it should do the job.

Very minor update - I've managed to get the basics of three more figures put together:

29185257694_d9a5291720_c.jpg

Bringing the total so far to six:

29812812865_bc54ea1aee_c.jpg

There's another two in this set to make. Most of the time with these is taken up with removing the mold seams.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Hi Stix, just catching up, and wonderful to see you maintaining your

usual high standards. Lovely progress so far, and now that I found this thread,

I'll be following a bit close,

Sean  

• Like 2

Nicely detailed figures in this scale. I will look forward to the painting stages for these. I have been dabbling in 1/35 scale figures and they take a bit of time to complete. All the best Greg😉

• Like 1

On 20/09/2016 at 4:37 PM, sean said:

Sean  

Hi Sean. Nice to see you back on BM again and thank you very much for you comments. :thumbsup:

On 20/09/2016 at 7:35 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Nicely detailed figures in this scale. I will look forward to the painting stages for these. I have been dabbling in 1/35 scale figures and they take a bit of time to complete. All the best Greg😉

Hi Greg. Tamiya's 1/48 box set figures do tend to be quite nicely detailed which makes them easier to paint. I always think 1/35 figures are a bit harder to paint because the eyes are much more visible and, for me, really difficult to get right. Hope your figure painting is going well.

Another minor update - the last two figures assembled:

29209116524_3b8a8d170c_c.jpg

- bringing the total to eight:

29543576190_97a3c386c4_c.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

EDIT: unfortunately the new forum software isn't co-operating and I cannot post the photos. I will try again later.

EDIT 2: Had to use Mrs PlaStix's laptop to do the photos - my works' iPad doesn't want to know.

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

On 20 September 2016 at 4:37 PM, sean said:

Sean  

Hey Sean haven't seen you in a while! You been hiding?

stix the figures look a cracking set!  Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Rob 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PlaStix said:

EDIT 2: Had to use Mrs PlaStix's laptop to do the photos - my works' iPad doesn't want to know.

I haven't tried the iPad here, but it has limitations with my WordPress sites.

Good luck with all those figures

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rob85 said:

stix the figures look a cracking set!  Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Rob 

Hi Rob. These Tamiya figures do tend to be pretty nice for detail.

20 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

I haven't tried the iPad here, but it has limitations with my WordPress sites.

Good luck with all those figures

Weirdly it seemed to work brilliantly when the new site was having all the problems but now, on the iPad, it just won't let me add pictures. It asks if I want to remove the in-bedded links, which I do, and then when I try posting - it removes part of the link address. This method had worked fine to start with. I have since tried doing it without pressing the remove links button but the photos still don't appear. I haven't tried other permutations yet.

Anyway over the past couple of evenings I have got quite enthusiastic about progressing the Pz.III so I have been assembling the parts for the turret:

29213265474_0e657cf0ff_c.jpg

29757761891_03cd7a94cd_c.jpg

The photos are a bit dark because I didn't take them until late on last night.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 7