'Kampfgruppe Tunesien'* German Armour Diorama with an Fw190 - ##Finished - in the Gallery## 25/12/16

You might save yourself some work using the method I described here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006256-135-italeri-pzkpfwiv-ausff1-update-2108/page-2

Essentially you are turning your indy-links first into L&L and then into QB track modules.....I'd recommend leaving the outer roadwheels off until assembly & painting is complete. :coolio:

• Like 1

Not wanting to hi-jack your thread Stix,but as you've asked.

Meet Tiger 213 of 6 Spz Abt:

Tiger1014.jpg

These pics were taken around 6 years ago.It's had some work since then(mostly internal)such as lower ratio gearboxes,main gun recoil unit,better heatsinking(for the power FET's) and hull stiffeners.

Tiger1013.jpg

You drive it like an RC car,i.e,forward/reverse/speed control and turret traverse on the left stick while the right stick controls steering

(left/right),a push up elevates and depresses the "88" and a push down initiates the main gun firing sequence(Bang from the sound processor,Flash from the barrel LED,barrel then recoils back and slowly returns from full recoil).The engine deck mounted RC receiver antenna has also been removed,shortened to scale length and refitted beside the turret with an internal antenna restoring the RC "receive"

properties.

Tiger1011.jpg

The view that no Sherman crew ever wanted to be confronted with:

Tiger1012.jpg

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 3

Nice progress Stix, your track bashing is looking good.

Cheers Ozzy :cheers: Yeah I was beginning to get a bit cheesed off with breaking so many but my 'drill & plastic pin' routine is pretty quick to do and it means I haven't lost any links.........yet.

Good recovery with those track pins, nicely done

Thank you Robert. I am quite pleased I had a suitably sized drill and plastic rod!

You might save yourself some work using the method I described here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006256-135-italeri-pzkpfwiv-ausff1-update-2108/page-2

Essentially you are turning your indy-links first into L&L and theninto QB track modules.....I'd recommend leaving the outer roadwheels off until assembly & painting is complete. :coolio:

Thank you Sarge. I had seen your suggestion in Andy's thread and thought it looks good. I'm now about 3/4 of the way done. I have one side's worth completed and have 40(ish) done on the other side so I'm going to stick with what I'm doing at the moment. Thank you for the excellent suggestion though. Now I'm into the routine I seem to be snapping fewer and I'm quite quick at drilling and pinning.

Not wanting to hi-jack your thread Stix,but as you've asked.

Meet Tiger 213 of 6 Spz Abt:

Tiger1014.jpg

These pics were taken around 6 years ago.It's had some work since then(mostly internal)such as lower ratio gearboxes,main gun recoil unit,better heatsinking(for the power FET's) and hull stiffeners.

You drive it like an RC car,i.e,forward/reverse/speed control and turret traverse on the left stick while the right stick controls steering

(left/right),a push up elevates and depresses the "88" and a push down initiates the main gun firing sequence(Bang from the sound processor,Flash from the barrel LED,barrel then recoils back and slowly returns from full recoil).The engine deck mounted RC receiver antenna has also been removed,shortened to scale length and refitted beside the turret with an internal antenna restoring the RC "receive"

properties.

Forgot to mention Stix,it also has 94 links per track per side and if you look carefully,you can just make out the link pins

on the sides of the tracks.

Tiger1012.jpg

Hi Miggers. Thank you very much for posting those photos! Your Tiger 1 does look superb!! I am not jealous in the least....... :jealous::jealous::jealous:

Thank you for the information too. I will have to see how many links I actually need to get it looking 'right' once the wheels are on.

I'm hoping I will get some work done on this this weekend but it will probably be on Monday because, as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm going to be taking part in the Blitzbuild GB with a 1/72 Tiger 1.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Three for the price of one. You're spoiling us Stix! :D:D

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Hi Nigel. Is it fairly obvious that I like German Armour?

Only a very minor update from over the last weekend - I spent most of the modelling time on Saturday and Sunday building a 1/72 Zvezda Tiger 1, which only left me a bit of time on Monday that I spent - first filling in the ejection pin marks on the Pz.III's tracks:

29315649785_51b2fdae79_c.jpg

.........and then giving all these tracks a couple of thinned coats of Revell's Anthracite:

28692854794_60bc79d2eb_c.jpg

I did also do some dry-brushing on these tracks with Humbrol's Gunmetal but didn't get chance to take a photograph.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

This past weekend we've had the Victory Show taking place near our village, about a mile away from where we live. So we've had a Spitfires, Hurricanes, Blenheims, Mustangs and a variety of other aircraft flying overhead. :thumbsup:

Over the weekend I managed to get more time on this project but it was mostly spent working on the wheels.........lots of wheels........ :frantic:

First I brush painted the Pz.III's and Tiger's wheels with a couple of thinned coats of Humbrol 93 before giving them a thin wash with Revell's Gunship Grey. Next I added some targeted washes of Revell's Anthracite. Finally I dry-brushed all of them with a lightened version of the base coat -

Wheels, etc. for the Tiger 1- there are two sets of these:

29444510715_ce11bd2d4b_c.jpg

28820639014_a9cacf34c2_c.jpg

Wheels for the Pz.III - two sets of these too:

29444490225_1c00204f13_c.jpg

On one of the sprues of Pz.III wheels I managed to start getting the tires painted with Revell's Anthracite:

29364624411_e9a2f1c420_c.jpg

Because I paint everything with good old fashioned flat brushes I tend to get as much of the basic weathering/etc. applied to the wheels and sides of any armour kits I build before doing any assembly of the running gear.

Paint and weathering started on the sides of the lower hull for the Pz.III:

29336293452_75b9c9fee6_c.jpg

.....and on the lower hull for the Tiger 1:

28822819113_75d9a485df_c.jpg

I did get a weary at times of just working on so many wheels so I occasionally did some assembly on the upper hull of the Pz.III:

29336289342_7832d5b3f1_c.jpg

I'm hoping that next weekend I will be able to get all the painting and weathering done on these wheels so I can start doing some assembling of the running gear and tracks. I still need to finish the tracks for the Tiger 1.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8

Nice start on the tamiya kits, sounds like a nice distraction you had over the weekend.

Hi Ozzy. The Tamiya one doesn't have as many wheels! With regards the Victory show we are very lucky to have such an event so close to us. In the past we have also had the Red Arrows, Vulcan and Eurofighter doing displays above our house. Noisy but great!!

Ah.....You've discovered 'roadwheel-fatigue'. :pipe:

Yup!! Most of the time it's fine but sometimes I get to a point where I just want to glue something together!!

Another AFV modeller's rite of passage.....I recommend building five Braille Panzer IVs, simultaneously, after that any future projects will seem almost painless! :banghead:

Nope!! Don't think so!! I'll leave that bit of :banghead: to you Braille experts!! I can imagine the pain without having to or wanting to experience it!

Shaping up nicely Stix. I like the methodical approach to your modelling. I tend to jump about through the construction phase, which almost always leads to mistakes :banghead: Cheers Greg

Hi Greg and thank you. I think it's more down to thinking how I'm going to have to paint stuff with hairy sticks rather than actually being methodical.....but it seems to work okay. I always think getting this kind of repetitive stage out of the way early is better rather than later.

Can't wait for the weekend!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Hi John. Thank you. Yes it is progressing reasonably well and hopefully I'll be able to get all the wheels at least ready for assembly this weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Yesterday I managed to get all the tires painted!!!! Wahoo!!

Tamiya's Pz.III:

28978316563_2b5ea9135b_c.jpg

AFV Club's Tiger 1:

29601758405_ef6377aec0_c.jpg

The tracks have had some weathering washes applied:

28978311523_263daef31b_c.jpg

29601739875_0650c8660a_c.jpg

....and I added a couple more bits to the upper hull:

29601736405_d35128b618_c.jpg

I was going to paint the upper hull before attaching it but a test fit showed there's a bit of a gap at the front where the upper hull meets the lower hull. This is going to require some filler before paint can be applied.

More later I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Coming along nicely Stix, painting road wheels is not the best job in the world but it looks like your doing them on an industrial scale.

Cheers Ozzy. :cheers:

It does feel a bit repetitive at times but at least once they're fixed in place there's only final bits of weathering to do on them. I have now got all the wheels attached on the Pz.III and the tracks fitted on one side. The L&L tracks fitted beautifully. I'll try and post some more photos later.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Yesterday I managed to make a fair bit of progress on this project - mostly on the Pz.III.

First off I finished the weathering I wanted to apply, at this stage, to the sides of the hull and then I started adding the drive sprockets, return rollers and idler wheels:

29601892855_8c86de9ec5_c.jpg

29601885685_8d205cfd6c_c.jpg

I then added the wheels:

28978389423_6a976ea6f8_c.jpg

28976465474_0344456aa0_c.jpg

I have to say all these fitted really easily:

29601859275_af42c3f262_c.jpg

29601849785_8b0b1ae3be_c.jpg

I then added the link and length tracks to one side:

29491998732_87e30aa3b6_c.jpg

As with the wheels these L&L tracks fitted perfectly - the last piece just dropping into place with now fiddling about.

28978372953_c7da80020d_c.jpg

At this stage I wanted to find out how well the AFV Club Tiger 1's wheels fitted so I had a quick experiment:

28976448884_5e20fbaf58_c.jpg

They seemed equally as good as the Tamiya ones.

Then I added the link and length tracks to the other side and so here are some photos to show how the Pz.III lower hull looks with both sides of track-work in place:

29525005401_e5f8da8491_c.jpg

29605837915_874f69b651_c.jpg

29605835635_b5a72396e5_c.jpg

29524994981_fe6f7955d0_c.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with them. Tamiya do an excellent job with this style of track.

Finally, yesterday, I started adding more wheels to the Tiger 1. You'll be able to see from the photos that some of these wheels are held on with small screws. Again the fit seems excellent:

29524992441_072490de7a_c.jpg

29571461466_cc6b28209e_c.jpg

I might try and find some time during the evenings this week to get the rest of the Tiger's wheels fitted. It would be good to have both tanks at a similar stage next Saturday........of course I still need to finish making up the tracks for the Tiger!

Edit: I meant to say that, if you intend to make this kit at some point, to be aware that the parts numbering in the instructions for attaching the wheels is wrong in places. The diagrams are correct but the numbers make no sense at all in places. Having said that the diagrams are a bit difficult to see too - so take your time!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

On 9/12/2016 at 6:20 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice sag,

:rofl:.........oh I see what you mean! Nothing to do with me - all down to the good people at Tamiya.

This evening I decided I wanted to get the tracks for the Tiger completed. Just 50 links needed to be added to one run and then they were done:

29553606371_6329eda1b5_c.jpg

29553605151_9eb0aa75f4_c.jpg

I had a few more repairs to do where I broke the pins but I got quicker and better with practice.

I also added a few more of the Tiger's wheels to its lower hull but didn't take any photos.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

On 9/13/2016 at 0:21 PM, wimbledon99 said:

That's a lot of wheels!! They do look good though :thumbsup:

There certainly are!! Thank you.

On 9/13/2016 at 8:42 PM, John_W said:

The Tamiya Pz III does build nice, even I couldn't fail

That looks excellent John! Very well done. Are there any more photos or a WIP of it on Britmodeller anywhere?

I added another couple of rows of wheels on the Tiger yesterday evening:

29047542123_c99204b1e0_c.jpg

29590780781_4a5e417c81_c.jpg

Not many more wheels to go!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

That looks excellent John! Very well done. Are there any more photos or a WIP of it on Britmodeller anywhere?

No WIP, on this one, and that is the best of the photos. I was a bit of an experiment in weathering. I used Games Workshop washes, highlight dry brushing and then grey, silver and 2B pencils to simulate paint wear and bare metal. Came out quite well, but the Tamiya 1/48 are a joy to build. Except for painting tyres of course.

I like the weight the metal hull gives them, they do sit nicely.

• Like 1

No WIP, on this one, and that is the best of the photos. I was a bit of an experiment in weathering. I used Games Workshop washes, highlight dry brushing and then grey, silver and 2B pencils to simulate paint wear and bare metal. Came out quite well, but the Tamiya 1/48 are a joy to build. Except for painting tyres of course.

I like the weight the metal hull gives them, they do sit nicely.

Hi John. No problem - just thought I'd ask. It's always useful to see other people builds of something I'm making - I often learn a lot - especially from such good builds as yours - the weathering experiment really did pay off! It looks superb! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1