How to award prizes, please have your say

As you all might be aware, we have some fantastic prizes from our sponsor http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com and the hosts have been having a chat about the best way to award the kits, as we have two aircraft kits and one AFV/tank.

Now while there is the standard 1st, 2nd and 3rd place which we would use and distribute the prizes from biggest to smallest, but that could mean 2nd place which could be an aircraft modeller might not be interested in a tank kit.

Alternatively we can run with 1st, 2nd and 3rd getting to choose their prize. 1st place might not want the spitfire but prefer the tank kit.

So what i'm going to do is run this forum post for the next 7 days till 23:59 on the 23rd of August and then it will be locked, lets see what ideas you all have, and if we have one idea that stands out above all or a majority thinking we should go down a certain route then we'll use that.

I would like to have how the prizes are distributed sorted really early into the GB so everyone knows what they need to do if they want to win one of the kits.

• Like 2

I'm not taking part in the GB but I like the idea of the winners choosing their prize, 1st placed modeller gets first choice naturally. 2nd and 3rd placed modellers could perhaps come to an agreement between themselves for the remaining two prizes.

How about 3 categories: land, sea and air? A prize for each winner. With the prizes you have, you could number them within the hosts. The winner from each category picks a number and gets the associate prize? Just a thought.

Ozzy, that´s a thought that came to my mind too. With a sea being in the center of this GB that would be most appropriate, but naval subjects have been very, very scarce so far. I believe four months is a bit short time to build a ship kit and limits the number of participating model ship makers. If I had the talent and skills I´d be one of them to tackle the Flyhawk Dido ASAP :hobbyhorse: but as you may already know me :weep: ...

EDIT: first ship builder has announced his intentions now - the more the merrier, bring them in! V-P

I agree with Ozzy. I think a land, sea and air split is a good idea and may help with the final voting too. I have a feeling this GB is going to produce a lot of fine models and that means a lot of models in one vote and the current poll system only allows 20 (or 25?) models per section. This means the poll gets spread over several sections. This is sometimes an issue because we have to vote in one section for the model we think is best and then 'not in this section' (or whatever it actually says) in each of the other sections. Sometimes people have voted in each section for the model they like in each actual section meaning the voting can be a bit off. Only my opinion and I don't actually mind how it's sorted.

The land, sea, air voting is a good idea.The only down side of this is that the prices are two planes and one tank. So it could be that the sea gun isn't very interested in a tank/ airplane?! But I could be wrong afcourse. I also like the Original proposed voting.

Cheers,

I think this is a difficult one. I fully intend to have a go at the Flyhawk Naiad, but I am mainly an Aircraft and Military vehicle modeller so either type of prize would be ok with me. If only one ship model is entered and finished, does it win a prize automatically? I think it would be a little unfair on other, possibly superior quality builds in other sections, that people would vote on.

I think the origional 1st, 2nd, 3rd number of votes are awarded the prizes. If 2 are aircraft and one is a military vehicle then thats sorted. If the mix differs then the 1st gets to choose a prize first, 2nd goes next, 3rd gets the one thats left.

Edited by DaveyGair

I think you give the 1st place person his choice of prize, then the second, and the person who comes third gets what is left....Only fair way, IMHO.

Otherwise us aircraft guys (by far the majority, it seems to me) have a much less chance of winning, and the ship guy (or guys) get much better odds,...but for a tank or aircraft (which they might not want....)....

Philip

• Like 1

Or...

Seeing as there are not many ship builders, and aircraft tend to be the majority, combine land and sea into one category (call it Surface if you will?). Make Air another category. And finally let the fine people at Jadlam make the sponsors choice for the remaining prize.

I was thinking you let the guy's and gals at Jadlam be the judge the of the finished builds.

That way they feel a bit more a part of the GB rather than just being there to supply prizes right at the very end with no real input! I think it is important for GB's as a whole to have our sponsors more involved with the GB's, as it gives them far more exposure and is likely to attract more of them in the long run.

Plus that way we/you don't have to worry about the gallery being divided it up into individual build groups, which always makes the voting a bit weird and lop sided if you get my meaning.

As to who gets which prize I think the overall winner of the GB rightly should get the choice of which prize they would like. Then 2nd & 3rd should be able to sort it out between them the remaining prizes.

• Like 6

I was thinking you let the guy's and gals at Jadlam be the judge the of the finished builds.

That way they feel a bit more a part of the GB rather than just being there to supply prizes right at the very end with no real input! I think it is important for GB's as a whole to have our sponsors more involved with the GB's, as it gives them far more exposure and is likely to attract more of them in the long run.

Plus that way we/you don't have to worry about the gallery being divided it up into individual build groups, which always makes the voting a bit weird and lop sided if you get my meaning.

As to who gets which prize I think the overall winner of the GB rightly should get the choice of which prize they would like. Then 2nd & 3rd should be able to sort it out between them the remaining prizes.

Yep, I vote let the Sponsors choose, I think it can be assumed they have some skill level/interest in the hobby and allows builders to concentrate on building without getting subjed into a bias vortex.

First place gets first selection, second place second selection etc. And will prizes be posted to winners no matter where they live?

No, they should be provided with flights to collect their prize in person. I'm game! Who's with me?

Regards

• Like 1

ok everyone.

Russ at Jadlam will be judging the finished builds and giving me 1st 2nd and 3rd place with the winners getting to choose their prizes.

• Like 8